FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1833624-weekend-repaving-sfo-rwy-28l-causing-ua-delays.html)

kirkwoodj Apr 2, 2017 12:53 pm

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Connecting SYD-SFO-IAH, inbound coming from SEA, they've slowed everything down due to a runway damage issue like at SFO w weather. 3hr delay, plane finally otw, hope there's not a time out issue. Might've thought they could do a plane swap since at SFO...

mduell Apr 2, 2017 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 28119786)
Runway damage in SEA causing delays

Huh? Who told you theres runway damage at SEA?

UA814 SEA-SFO, which becomes UA97 SFO-IAH, is delayed according to UA due to SFO runway config:
D CRC/SFO/ POSS DLYS/CNCL DUE TO RWY CONFIG

And indeed SFO has 28L closed for scheduled work, and is accepting 30 arrivals/hour on 28R only:
COMMENTS: ARRIVE 28R, DEPART 01R/L. RWY 28L CLSD.

UA97 is also delayed due to the IAH GDP for enroute thunderstorms:
D EWU/SFO/PROPOSED FAA ATC WHEELS UP 129P☨IAH GDP☨

mahasamatman Apr 2, 2017 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 28119918)
Huh? Who told you theres runway damage at SEA?

All I see in the NOTAMs are some lighting and approach issues.

transportprof Apr 2, 2017 2:11 pm

So where are the runways damaged?
SEA?
SFO?
Both?
Neither?
I've got flights into both of these airports this month.

mduell Apr 2, 2017 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 28120019)
So where are the runways damaged?
SEA?
SFO?
Both?
Neither?
I've got flights into both of these airports this month.

SFO has scheduled runway work, currently in phase 2 of many.

transportprof Apr 2, 2017 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 28120133)

So what about SEA, which appears in the title of this thread?

mahasamatman Apr 2, 2017 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 28120324)

Nothing. I'd say either a typo or the OP was misinformed.

mduell Apr 2, 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 28120324)

Nothing on google news regarding SEA runway damage.

Hopefully OP returns to explain what they're talking/titling the thread about.

Ocn Vw 1K Apr 2, 2017 9:31 pm

As was noted upthread, there is scheduled, weekend repaving of SFO 28L from this weekend through sometime in June. Here are the details:
https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-r...ate-runway-28l

I'll edit the thread title accordingly to show SFO weekend closures of 28L. If someone has evidence of SEA runway closure(s), which could've caused the OP's delay, pls. advise. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

warrenw Apr 3, 2017 1:38 am

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 28120133)

Thanks for the info! It's handy to use and compare to flights I'm going to take to see if there will be maintenance at the time.

laxmillenial Apr 3, 2017 7:01 am

Wow. I've never seen SFO post a traffic management program at 6AM local (Pacific time). EVER. (average delay of 52 minutes)

This runway repaving....

EWR764 Apr 3, 2017 8:17 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 28122463)
Wow. I've never seen SFO post a traffic management program at 6AM local (Pacific time). EVER. (average delay of 52 minutes)

This runway repaving....

Yep... I would avoid flying via SFO on the affected weekends to the extent possible. The new SJC-EWR service will be helpful for me.

https://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/ is a great resource for advance warning of traffic management/ground delay programs before EDCTs are issued and delays actually post to flights. For instance, I connected via SFO last night, and with target delays of 140 minutes when I'd be arriving at SFO, I knew hours ahead of time that I'd likely misconnect, so I preemptively SDC'ed to a later flight. Sure enough, I arrived SFO at exactly 139 minutes past schedule and was glad to have the heads-up.

transportprof Apr 3, 2017 10:40 am

I'm at SFO now, and have been bitten by this repaving program. My flight is currently posted as 27 minutes late due to late arriving inbound aircraft. I bet it will roll into a longer delay.

As an aside, the Centurion Lounge is overflowing, with no extra guests (just Plat cardmembers) being allowed in this morning. I'm guessing because people are staying longer waiting for their delayed flights. That's certainly what I'm doing.

kirkwoodj Apr 3, 2017 11:10 am

The rep at Global Reception told me SEA. Glad I eventually made it home!

chuck1 Apr 3, 2017 2:32 pm

And when the winds are too strong out of the west and they can't use 1L/1R for take offs, then everyone (take offs and arrivals) will all share 28R. Oh goody!

Would a bad storm ever make everyone, arrivals and departures, use 10L? I know sometimes it can happen 1L/R or 19L/R for all.