FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1833624-weekend-repaving-sfo-rwy-28l-causing-ua-delays.html)

ryder1650 Apr 25, 2017 10:41 am

Another option is to have the Uber drop you off at the rental car center and take the AirTrain from there.

WineCountryUA Apr 25, 2017 11:28 am

Originally Posted by ryder1650 (Post 28227893)
Another option is to have the Uber drop you off at the rental car center and take the AirTrain from there.

Or drop off at the International Terminal / G gates and walk to UA F gates from there (a bit longer walk to E gates).

B747SP Apr 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 (Post 28227717)
Alaska regularly reroutes traffic to OAK or SJC on 3+ hour delay days at SFO. I'm not aware of any other carriers that do that though; Southwest certainly might, given the large operations at both airports.

Comparing to UA's rigid flight scheduling and poor ability to manage IRROPS, it was amazing how flexible and creative Southwest can be. I once had a LAS-SFO flight cancelled due to weather-caused congestion at SFO, and Southwest used the same aircraft parked at the LAS gate, created a new flight LAS-OAK with a WN99xx flight number, called for passengers to rebook at the podium, and got the flight out at the originally scheduled LAS-SFO departure time.

ploo Apr 25, 2017 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent (Post 28225937)
Ditto. Dropoff=Intl. Park=G Garage/Lvl 8

I've always loved G, but there's no way I'll deal with the loop when being dropped off until construction is done, which is somewhere around 2022...

I used to park in G, but now that the prices are the same, it's much faster to park on the top level of the domestic parking garage. Take the ramp on the left side to the top floor and park right by the Terminal F air train station. Just a quick walk over the bridge and you are dropped down to the elite security lines. That deck also has it's own exit if you are paying by fasttrack or CC. Easy in/out and avoids the entire loop.

garkster Apr 25, 2017 10:57 pm

Never thought I'd see the day when BART looked so good.

For Uber/Lyft arrivals, the West Field Rd AirTrain station would also be a good option.

avi8tir Apr 26, 2017 2:47 am

Im kind of nervous for my flights this weekend.... Traveling IAH-SFO-HKG.... and colleague is flying LAX-SFO-HKG - we are meeting in SFO this saturday. I have 3 hours in SFO and my colleague has 2 hours but they are currently on United Express LAX-SFO (is this an issue as it seems UAExpress flights are often delayed/cancelled before mainline?)

deskover54 Apr 26, 2017 2:51 am

Originally Posted by garkster (Post 28230424)

For Uber/Lyft arrivals, the West Field Rd AirTrain station would also be a good option.

Why can't uber just drop you off at the terminal? wouldn't that be easier?

findark Apr 26, 2017 3:05 am

Originally Posted by avi8tir (Post 28230870)
and my colleague has 2 hours but they are currently on United Express LAX-SFO (is this an issue as it seems UAExpress flights are often delayed/cancelled before mainline?)

Yes. I would consider SDCing to an earlier flight if possible.

Flying Machine Apr 26, 2017 4:33 am

I had a 2 hour delay SF0-PHL last weekend. Does UA have some sort of Waiver in place. I tried to change my PHL-SF0 for this coming weekend and the rep didn't know. Offered to ask a service director but I said I have to go.. Didn't want a note in my PNR. I may just hope for a SDC or take the gamble..

Kacee Apr 26, 2017 6:40 am

Originally Posted by avi8tir (Post 28230870)
my colleague has 2 hours but they are currently on United Express LAX-SFO

Recipe for disaster even without the runway issues.

WineCountryUA Apr 26, 2017 10:36 am

Originally Posted by deskover54 (Post 28230881)

Why can't uber just drop you off at the terminal? wouldn't that be easier?

Of the sub-themes of this thread, aside from the runway work, is the congestion in the terminal loop road due to other work.

JHake10 Apr 26, 2017 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 28231088)
I had a 2 hour delay SF0-PHL last weekend. Does UA have some sort of Waiver in place. I tried to change my PHL-SF0 for this coming weekend and the rep didn't know. Offered to ask a service director but I said I have to go.. Didn't want a note in my PNR. I may just hope for a SDC or take the gamble..

I was on PHL-SFO last week (April 20) and our scheduled arrival was 9:44 PM and we got in after midnight. I've been flying this route for a few weeks and never made it in before 10 PM PST

bballdad175 Apr 26, 2017 11:47 am

I stopped parking at SFO about 1.5 years ago. I park at Anza parking which is about 3-4 miles south of airport. It's half the price and valet. It does take sometimes up to 15 minutes to get the shuttle from International terminal, but at that price it is worth the wait.And when you get let off at the parking, your car is waiting and people are smiling. Priceless!

jbone9877 Apr 26, 2017 11:54 am

Do you guys this United would provide a 1K any compensation for getting caught up in this. I know it is technically not their fault. I was supposed to fly DEN-SFO-HKG-MNL on Monday, missed my connection in SFO due to this issue. They would not provide alternate options prior to leaving Denver when I found out this was going to be a problem a couple days before I left. Ended up having to go SFO-PVG which was awful, switched to China Eastern to get to MNL (service was good, product sucked), adding about seven hours to my travel time.

qukslvr619 Apr 27, 2017 9:48 am

Originally Posted by shawnjeck (Post 28232720)
Do you guys this United would provide a 1K any compensation for getting caught up in this.

I would recommend doing it. I fired off an email this morning, and less than an hour later received a phone call, and then an email response with a E-cert. I am merely a Silver Elite, but even when I was 1K, it never was that fast.

Within my email I point blank asked UA why they "fully scheduled flights well knowing that their was scheduled construction on specific days" given that in the past, notably after the OZ accident, they preemptively xld flights in advance and included a link to the SFO construction schedule. This was the response I got:

"Also, thank you for the link regarding the SFO runway construction. I have forwarded the link to our lead customer care department for review."

I laughed thinking that somehow scheduling had no clue about this previously and merely my email with the link has them scrambling to change the schedule around.