FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1833624-weekend-repaving-sfo-rwy-28l-causing-ua-delays.html)

halls120 Apr 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 28225393)
Does UA have any operations at OAK these days?

sadly, no. I miss that operation - the CSR's there were incredibly friendly, especially the one who, on occasion, donned a name tag titled "mud." :D

notquiteaff Apr 24, 2017 8:11 pm

No. They could revive their SFO-SJC bus line ;)

sfo789 Apr 24, 2017 8:29 pm

Worst thing about SFO is the loop road going T1->2->3. Nowadays, I have to budget an extra 10-15 mins to drive a couple hundred yards because of how jammed it's gotten, since both arriving and departing Ubers/Lyfts come to the departures level. (I fly ex-SFO on Thursday nights and Friday mornings.)

tom911 Apr 24, 2017 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 28225461)
Are these construction related delays only take place on weekend or are they impacted everyday for the next 7 weeks?

6pm Friday until noon on Monday.

findark Apr 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 28225461)
Are these construction related delays only take place on weekend or are they impacted everyday for the next 7 weeks?

I will think about not connecting via SFO if this gets worse!

Nope, just 1800 Friday to 1200 Monday.

skimthetrees Apr 24, 2017 8:50 pm

Good news though, no runway construction Memorial Day Weekend!

https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-r...ate-runway-28l

Eastbay1K Apr 24, 2017 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by sfo789 (Post 28225542)
Worst thing about SFO is the loop road going T1->2->3. Nowadays, I have to budget an extra 10-15 mins to drive a couple hundred yards because of how jammed it's gotten, since both arriving and departing Ubers/Lyfts come to the departures level. (I fly ex-SFO on Thursday nights and Friday mornings.)

There's an eternal jam now because of the construction area at the beginning of T1 - the roadway is closed next to the terminal building until further down. If I were in a rush trying to get to T3, I'd get dropped off at the far end of International and walk a few minutes.

bpratt Apr 24, 2017 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 28225622)
There's an eternal jam now because of the construction area at the beginning of T1 - the roadway is closed next to the terminal building until further down. If I were in a rush trying to get to T3, I'd get dropped off at the far end of International and walk a few minutes.

These days, I either park in short term (even if it's for a few days), or if I'm taking Uber to the airport I pay the driver to detour thru the short term garage and drop me off in there. It's worth a few dollars for the minimum parking charge to avoid the traffic jam on the loop road.

Bob

Kacee Apr 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by bpratt (Post 28225791)
These days, I either park in short term (even if it's for a few days), or if I'm taking Uber to the airport I pay the driver to detour thru the short term garage and drop me off in there. It's worth a few dollars for the minimum parking charge to avoid the traffic jam on the loop road.

You can avoid all that by taking the cut-off to International and parking in G Garage. I like that garage best anyways, though it's now rather a long walk to Premier check-in.

altbg Apr 24, 2017 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28225801)
You can avoid all that by taking the cut-off to International and parking in G Garage. I like that garage best anyways, though it's now rather a long walk to Premier check-in.

Thats exactly where I always park, level 8 and then take the Airtrain to T3.

NoLaGent Apr 24, 2017 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by altbg (Post 28225864)
Thats exactly where I always park, level 8 and then take the Airtrain to T3.

Ditto. Dropoff=Intl. Park=G Garage/Lvl 8

I've always loved G, but there's no way I'll deal with the loop when being dropped off until construction is done, which is somewhere around 2022...

IADFlyer123 Apr 25, 2017 6:01 am

This past Saturday on our DCA to SFO flight, we were asked to do a ground stop at dca and were sitting on the apron for 50 mins due to runway construction at sfo.

ucdtim17 Apr 25, 2017 9:59 am

7 more weekends to go. Alaska rerouted some flights to OAK yesterday. I saw one post where they sent out a text message 7 hours ahead, so passengers had plenty of time to get over there. They also ran a shuttle bus from SFO.

Alaska regularly reroutes traffic to OAK or SJC on 3+ hour delay days at SFO. I'm not aware of any other carriers that do that though; Southwest certainly might, given the large operations at both airports.

laxmillenial Apr 25, 2017 10:07 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 (Post 28227717)
Alaska regularly reroutes traffic to OAK or SJC on 3+ hour delay days at SFO. I'm not aware of any other carriers that do that though; Southwest certainly might, given the large operations at both airports.

Oh how I wish UA rerouted 1 or 2 flights to SJC. Especially the delay prone LAX-SFO route. Considering almost flying Alaska out of SJC.

nnn Apr 25, 2017 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28225801)

Short-term parking doesn't require the use of the loop, though. What's the benefit to G when parking?

G used to be a bargain when it first opened, but not so much anymore.