FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1833624-weekend-repaving-sfo-rwy-28l-causing-ua-delays.html)

nomad420 Apr 27, 2017 10:16 am

Originally Posted by qukslvr619 (Post 28236671)
I would recommend doing it. I fired off an email this morning, and less than an hour later received a phone call, and then an email response with a E-cert. I am merely a Silver Elite, but even when I was 1K, it never was that fast.

Within my email I point blank asked UA why they "fully scheduled flights well knowing that their was scheduled construction on specific days" given that in the past, notably after the OZ accident, they preemptively xld flights in advance and included a link to the SFO construction schedule. This was the response I got:

"Also, thank you for the link regarding the SFO runway construction. I have forwarded the link to our lead customer care department for review."

I laughed thinking that somehow scheduling had no clue about this previously and merely my email with the link has them scrambling to change the schedule around.

Perhaps this is now UA really stepping up on customer service as Oscar says they now are. Seems like it may be too little too late though. You would think UA officials would have been well aware of the construction issues at SFO and adjusted schedules for that well in advance. It was locally on the news for several days leading up to the work.

qukslvr619 Apr 27, 2017 10:51 am

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 28236790)
Perhaps this is now UA really stepping up on customer service as Oscar says they now are. Seems like it may be too little too late though. You would think UA officials would have been well aware of the construction issues at SFO and adjusted schedules for that well in advance. It was locally on the news for several days leading up to the work.

One would "hope" they were aware. I get that there are going to be delays, cancellations, etc. What frustrates me about this though is that they make no mention about it impacting operations so that one can plan accordingly. I will just now have to consider alternative routings now knowing that SFO afternoon operations are messier than usual. Means leaving out of SAN at 12 in order to connect thru IAH or ORD for my usual STLSAN commute; the SFOSTL flts have been working out great for me being able to get in a full days worth of work both in SAN or STL so not having SFO as an option kind of sucks.

anc-ord772 Apr 27, 2017 11:23 am

I'm a glutton for punishment. Purposely chose LAX-SFO-BOS this weekend on an all widebody itinerary. I'm tired of flying 73X's. I have 2H 45M in SFO, and I'm flying out of LAX early in the morning, so fingers crossed. Looking forward to breakfast in the Centurion lounge.

ryman554 Apr 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by bballdad175 (Post 28232688)
I stopped parking at SFO about 1.5 years ago. I park at Anza parking which is about 3-4 miles south of airport. It's half the price and valet. It does take sometimes up to 15 minutes to get the shuttle from International terminal, but at that price it is worth the wait.And when you get let off at the parking, your car is waiting and people are smiling. Priceless!

I park at San Bruno BART. Free weekend parking and you are only 20 minutes from another train and a short walk to the car.

Flying Machine Apr 27, 2017 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772 (Post 28237129)
I'm a glutton for punishment. Purposely chose LAX-SFO-BOS this weekend on an all widebody itinerary. I'm tired of flying 73X's. I have 2H 45M in SFO, and I'm flying out of LAX early in the morning, so fingers crossed. Looking forward to breakfast in the Centurion lounge.

I had breakfast and libations last weekend at the SF0 Centurion Lounge, eased the pain of my delay. I actually was inbetween breakfast and lunh and was able to sample both. Food is quite good across the board. Passing through SF0 again this weekend ouch!

mduell Apr 28, 2017 11:15 pm

Construction is back (resumed about 4h ago) and the excuse making in the terminal areas is at epic levels. You'd think UA had absolutely no idea and made absolutely no plans for the reduced capacity at SFO during the runway construction.

Ocn Vw 1K Apr 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Not many happy customers at SEA Gate A9 and adjacent UC this Sun. afternoon.

Boarded 816 (1:50 pm 738 departure for SFO.). United.com showing an early arrival at SFO at 3:49 pm. About 15 minutes before push, Captain advises of ATC delay program (for SFO repaving) with an expected release time 4 hours later. He had never seen that lengthy a delay, so queried through Company dispatch liaison with the ATC system. UA dispatch confirmed that the delay would be likely 4 hours. Everyone asked to deplane.

Now 0:30 into the delay Lots of ruined connections and nerves here in SEA if the 4:00 hr. delay is not shortened.

goalie Apr 30, 2017 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K (Post 28249274)

Boarded 816 (1:50 pm 738 departure for SFO.). United.com showing an early arrival at SFO at 3:49 pm. About 15 minutes before push, Captain advises of ATC delay program (for SFO repaving) with an expected release time 4 hours later. He had never seen that lengthy a delay, so queried through Company dispatch liaison with the ATC system. UA dispatch confirmed that the delay would be likely 4 hours. Everyone asked to deplane.

Now 0:30 into the delay Lots of ruined connections and nerves here in SEA if the 4:00 hr. delay is not shortened.

Yuck! :( :mad: and looks like you screwed up the bell curve ;) plus the FAA needs also to update their website ;)

Due to RWY-TAXI / CONSTRUCTION, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, CA (SFO). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 2 hours and 12 minutes.

rch4u Apr 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K (Post 28249274)

Looks like UA 816 is in flight, arriving 1 hour and 7 minutes late. What a waste of time deplaning everyone ...

Kacee Apr 30, 2017 6:30 pm

We had taxied to the end of the runway and were literally about to take off from LAX yesterday when captain came on and explained that they'd just taken away our slot at SFO and that we would be delayed 30 minutes. Actual delay was slightly less. Not a big deal ultimately, but obviously some pretty poor planning on UA's part.

vincepoy Apr 30, 2017 7:04 pm

http://www.ktvu.com/news/251743833-story

sfo789 Apr 30, 2017 8:28 pm

Flying 481 LAX-SFO. About 10 mins ago post-safety demo, FAs came on to announce a groundstop at SFO and a 40 min wait before any further announcements. With a 30-strong group of schoolkids on the plane who are reportedly meant to be connecting onto an SFO redeye, this news went down like a scene from Lord of the Flies. FAs have valiantly hidden themselves in the F galley. Sundays on UA have become my worst nightmare. :)

findark Apr 30, 2017 9:24 pm

This is getting ridiculous when they could shuffle schedule in advance.

UA 5523 MSP-SFO delayed 5h51 due to SFO ATC.

My DL flight is also 2+ hrs delayed; I knew UA would be late but I never imagined we'd be in a slow-motion race to be first out.

Ocn Vw 1K Apr 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 28249542)
Looks like UA 816 is in flight, arriving 1 hour and 7 minutes late. What a waste of time deplaning everyone ...

As it turned out, we re-boarded at about 2:45, pushed at apx. 3:17 for a wheels-up of 3:45. However, Captain was able to move that up to 3:26, and we were able to go straight out, once we got to the departure end of 16R.

No delays in the air, with a tight procedural turn over Palo Alto and left to pick up the 28R visual approach. Flying down the Peninsula, it was unusual to see such little traffic bound for 28R. I think that we were almost 3-4 minutes behind the last arrival over 28R. Unusual also not to see any side-by-sides to SFO as would be expected on a nice VFR day.

Blocked in 1:10 late --- a lot better than the 4 hr. delay estimated by FAA and UA dispatch.

minnyfly Apr 30, 2017 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28249747)
Not a big deal ultimately, but obviously some pretty poor planning on UA's part.

Ouch. ATC giveth, and ATC taketh away. Nothing an airline can do sometimes.

Originally Posted by findark (Post 28250185)
This is getting ridiculous when they could shuffle schedule in advance.

Any airline that does it would be throwing away money to their competitors. You can't blame airlines for it. If anyone should be blamed, it's SFO. But even then this might be their only option to minimize the negative effects.