Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GoSh4rks
28L-10R Runway Overlay

Runway Closures Associated with SFO Runway Construction Begin April 7

Friday, May 12th at 11:59pm PDT through Sunday, May 14th at 12:00noon PDT
Friday, May 19th at 11:00pm PDT through Monday, May 22nd at 8:00am PDT
Friday, May 26th at 6:00pm PDT through Monday, May 29th at 12:00noon PDT
Friday, June 2nd at 6:00pm PDT through Monday, June 5th at 12:00noon PDT

https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-releases/sfo-consolidates-schedule-runway-28l-rehabilitation-reducing-number-weekend
Print Wikipost

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I took a quick trip to SF this weekend. Was almost 2 hours late into SFO - and then got caught up in the BART derailment. Got into the city 4 hours later than planned.

Decided to take the earlier flight home, in case of delays (since I had to fly out first thing Monday). The earlier flight was on-time but my original flight out on Sunday was delayed 1.5 hours.

Of course, being able to see Bay To Breakers made the short trip worth it

The strange things is I was listening to ATC Sunday afternoon and they were departing on both Runway 03 and 28?
Old May 22, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by username

The strange things is I was listening to ATC Sunday afternoon and they were departing on both Runway 03 and 28?
Only 28L is being repaved. 28R is available for use during this time, other factors permitting.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:53 pm

Flew in on Friday and arrived early, left on Sunday early am (7:30) and also on time. Very quick taxi for takeoff. Plane was a RON which probably helped.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Had to do a SFO - So.Cal trip this past Sat. Wanted to book it as a SFO-ONT round trip due to convenience, but since those are CR2s, they're the first UA cancels due to limited slots on the weekends with the 28L closure. So booked a SFO->LAX mainline r.t.

Outbound 7:05 am, pushed SFO early and landed at 8:10, but, due to a long-time problem at LAX (separate thread on this ) no gate to accept our early arrival so we were about 8-10 mins. late. (About 1:53 elapsed block-to-block).

Return flight was 6:55 pm as I knew that I could not make the earlier 3:35 flight. However, getting to LAX at about 3:50, saw that the 3:35 was delayed to 5:15. SDCd to the last Y seat on that flight (38E), got 14F when the gate cleared some into F and got a just-before-door close 4A hyper-battlefield. We landed about 6:25 and my original 6:55 took a 1:08 delay, so a great SDC.

Kudos to UA for reducing capacity on this route during this SFO runway closure. I'm sure it helped avoid even worse delays.
I dunno, this is when I just give up on loyalty and fly WN OAK-ONT
Old May 23, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Sunday night last UAL flight 2 hours late

monday return flight 640 pm 2 hours late

just a pleasure going up for a few meetings 👍
Old May 24, 2017, 7:56 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I dunno, this is when I just give up on loyalty and fly WN OAK-ONT
Believe me, I'm getting close to that point. If I weren't so close to SFO and didn't mind dealing with the "Nasty Nimitz" (aka Interstate 880), I might start doing just that, esp. post-2MM BIS.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Marriott Platinum
I'm kinda nervous now with the closure on Memorial Day weekend. I'm planning on flying SFO-ACV under SkyWest (first non-WN domestic flight in a long time!) and it looks like the flight has been canceled every time the runway's closed (plane comes inbound from PSP or RDD). Thought i'd be able to save time by flying but guess not!
Old May 25, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
So I noticed that my LAX-SFO this morning (UA1863) was dinged by a GDP at SFO. Upon inquiring with the UC agent, the GDP is due to "runway construction". I did not realize that Thursday is now a weekend.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fgirard
So I noticed that my LAX-SFO this morning (UA1863) was dinged by a GDP at SFO. Upon inquiring with the UC agent, the GDP is due to "runway construction". I did not realize that Thursday is now a weekend.
Admittedly I have found that finding a cause for a GDP is not easy..

FAA direct says:

Due to WEATHER / LOW CEILINGS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, CA (SFO). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 18 minutes.
which, based on looking outside, I believe. But ExpertFlyer is reporting:

Due to RUNWAY CONSTRUCTION, SFO is currently experiencing ground delays averaging 1 hour and 29 minutes.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by findark
Admittedly I have found that finding a cause for a GDP is not easy..

FAA direct says:

which, based on looking outside, I believe. But ExpertFlyer is reporting:
And then, to add further insult, we took a MX delay, so I hopped onto UA708, which is also delayed. But, we are further delayed so our ETA is 1:00, which is cutting my transfer time to UA869 too close for comfort.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k
We have tickets to EWR late on Friday, which were purchased back when there was not supposed to be any work over Memorial Day weekend. There is availability on an earlier flight Friday afternoon. I called thinking due to the runway work they might be willing to waive the change fee. Instead I was quoted a more expensive reprice than purchasing a new ticket. Can't wait for the runway work to be completed so we can get back to the normal fog delays!
Old May 30, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I'm flying PDX-SFO-CDG next Sunday. The flight has a 50 minute connection at SFO, which in normal operations is a little risky, but in this runway-construction environment seems to be an insane choice (I did not know about the construction when I booked the ticket in January). I've checked the flight status the past few weekends and in no cases did the PDX-SFO flight leave anywhere close to on time, whereas the SFO-CDG flight almost always leaves on time.

Given this, what are my options? United has no waiver in place, so they won't let me re-schedule to fly PDX-ORD/IAD/IAH-CDG. There is an earlier PDX-SFO flight but that leaves a very long connection and short of flying standby on it, I can't get them to change my booked trip anyway.

Any ideas? If I miss the 2:55 SFO-CDG leg, my only other option is to take the 7pm departure through FRA and get into CDG about 8 hours later .
Old May 30, 2017, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
noah, you're almost certainly screwed if you're on UAX and they won't let you switch flights. The little planes inevitably get the short end of the stick wrt landing times, so you have little chance of catching the CDG flight.

I say this having had one Sunday UAX flight cancelled last month, another delayed more than 3 hours 2 days ago.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by noah
Given this, what are my options? United has no waiver in place, so they won't let me re-schedule to fly PDX-ORD/IAD/IAH-CDG. There is an earlier PDX-SFO flight but that leaves a very long connection and short of flying standby on it, I can't get them to change my booked trip anyway.
SDC to the earlier PDX-SFO flight?

Basically you can't have too long a connection D-I at SFO right now. Not only is there runway construction, but we're in full summer weather ATC mode right now.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Which fare class did you book? Given the delays I would personally try to use same day change to take care of this. I don't think you will get much traction with customer service otherwise. You can call at checkin time and probably move to the earlier PDX-SFO flight. It might be possible to switch to another hub online inside T24.

Originally Posted by noah
I'm flying PDX-SFO-CDG next Sunday. The flight has a 50 minute connection at SFO, which in normal operations is a little risky, but in this runway-construction environment seems to be an insane choice (I did not know about the construction when I booked the ticket in January). I've checked the flight status the past few weekends and in no cases did the PDX-SFO flight leave anywhere close to on time, whereas the SFO-CDG flight almost always leaves on time.

Any ideas? If I miss the 2:55 SFO-CDG leg, my only other option is to take the 7pm departure through FRA and get into CDG about 8 hours later .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.