Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Northeast Weather Waiver -- March 10, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

New York City Winter Weather

Airports:
  • New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
  • New York, NY (JFK)
  • New York, NY (LGA - LaGuardia)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
Original travel date(s):

March 10, 2017

Flight changes: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new flights departing on or before March 13, 2017, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​​
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:43 pm

I received an email about this and admittedly was a little baffled. I have been tracking the weather for a few days and it doesn't seem like it's going to be that bad? Mrs. Nirvana91 and I are flying ORD-LGA on Friday night (land around 11pm) and then returning LGA-ORD on Monday (depart around 6pm), and from what I've been seeing on Weather Underground and NYC news stations, it's looking like 1-3 inches of snow on Friday and then clear until Tuesday. Is 1-3 inches really worthy of these pre-emptive waivers? Maybe it's going to end up worse than I was thinking. Is anyone that is an NYC local hearing worse?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:46 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Weather.com is only showing snow in the morning, should be clearing up later in the day. I got this email and was pretty confused as well.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Got this email. I have a 7PM flight to LAX and am going to roll the dice.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm scheduled ut of EWR at 9am on Friday. I guess we'll see what happens...
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
The email and waiver gave me the chance to change from SEA-IAD-EWR on a 739 tcon to SEA-SFO-EWR on a 757 tcon ^
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:55 pm

Wind is more of a problem right now in the northeast. ROC (Rochester NY) airport said they had 83 mph winds today! 150,000 people out of power.

hmmm....just checked and they don't seem to be having that problem. Not sure what the deal is

Last edited by Jane42; Mar 8, 2017 at 11:01 pm
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Jane42
Wind is more of a problem right now in the northeast. ROC (Rochester NY) airport said they had 83 mph winds today! 150,000 people out of power.
Mom was scheduled to fly ROC-DCA today and no dice. Flight was cancelled. She said the wind was no joke, lots of downed trees.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Forecast now saying 1-3 inches, but with precipitation still ending early in the day...hopefully no problems with evening departures.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:27 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
EWR now has a winter weather advisory from 10pm tonight to 2pm tomorrow, 3-5 inches are being predicted now.
Question, Im on UA55 tomorrow, the 77W from SFO-EWR at 1:30pm. The inbound is supposed to depart EWR at 7:45am tomorrow morning, but in the chance that the inbound from EWR gets cancelled, what are the chances of them bringing the extra 77W they have to operate the flight I'm on? assuming its at SFO of course. Trying to decide if its worth it jump to Saturdays flight before it fills up and all the good polaris seats get taken!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
EWR now has a winter weather advisory from 10pm tonight to 2pm tomorrow, 3-5 inches are being predicted now.
Question, Im on UA55 tomorrow, the 77W from SFO-EWR at 1:30pm. The inbound is supposed to depart EWR at 7:45am tomorrow morning, but in the chance that the inbound from EWR gets cancelled, what are the chances of them bringing the extra 77W they have to operate the flight I'm on? assuming its at SFO of course. Trying to decide if its worth it jump to Saturdays flight before it fills up and all the good polaris seats get taken!
What an idea! If I was scheduling a brand new 77W that's just what I'd do - fly it into a winter blizzard to experience IRROPS at EWR.

More likely they'd sub a 739 than pull that rabbit out of a hat!

Update from SFO: The gods have a sense of humor and they read FT!

My connecting flight from SEA-SFO was late enough that it blew my 757 departure to EWR. I got rebooked on the 77W this afternoon, which is heading into the post-blizzard IRROPS at EWR! What are the odds?

Note to self, think of the implications of tempting fate by making fanciful comments on FT in future. Does the community think I can restrain myself?

Last edited by transportprof; Mar 10, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.