Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there. Way to look up flights by gate number?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there. Way to look up flights by gate number?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bkco88
+1 for flightboard. It is my favorite travel app by far - I can always tell what the arrival flight on any airline is doing based on gate number. This has been extremely helpful in the past, allowing me extra time to contact CS if I know we will be delayed before it's up in the gate area. Highly recommended.

I still have the app on my phone - but for some reason I cannot find it in the app store. Not sure what has changed.
Have a look at https://www.mobiata.com/ - Expedia killed the app on Feb 16th.
Enjoy it until March 1st...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:30 pm

Bummer. I use Flightboard this way too.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The way I do it is using Flightstats, and look up flight info by airport and airline, plus scheduled departure time. This will narrow down the number of flights. Start clicking through and find the right one.
This was going to be my suggestion. You do a search by airport, and can filter for airline, arrival/departure, and arrival/departure time (usually, its by the hour). Once there, click to hide codeshares (otherwise, you get many duplicate flights, for example, UA XXXX and AC YYYY show the same times, but multiple lines). Once the results come up, you can sort by gate number, but note, this is alphabetical sorting, not numerical, so for ORD, for example, instead of showing the items in order of gate B1, B2, B3, etc., it will show B1, B10, B11, B12....B19, B2, B20....Then you can scroll down. A pain I know, and even more so on a phone, I'm sure, but that's the way I've done it.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: SWA CP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cricketer
Yikes, that's no good. I am really going to miss it. The way this is worded, it sounds like the Expedia app will do something similar. But I highly doubt it.

Thanks for the info
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: none
Back on thread for OP's question. It's probably more important to the incoming passengers to know when the previous plane will free up that gate than it is to know where the flight is actually going, (The pilots may care though.)

The best you're going to get is a "best guess" of what time it's scheduled to depart. If there's a plane still sitting at the gate where you're supposed to arrive, something has gone wrong. There is a delay somewhere. How long? Who knows? They're working on it. We've all seen delays where it's announced as 20 minutes, then 30 minutes, then an hour, and so on.

Sometimes the pilot will announce to arriving passengers after you land, "There's a plane currently blocking our gate. We expect it to be gone in xxx minutes " If the delay is too long, they often assign you to a different gate as soon as one frees up. It's a fluid situation as Operations is scrambling to accommodate all planes. Very low on the priority list is updating the gate, the departure board, the reservation computer, the phone agents, Facebook, flightaware.com, etc. Often they certainly can tell you the time of original schedule, and maybe they can say "but it's delayed right now," and maybe an estimated time of delay, subject to change of course. As the departure time of the delayed flight gets closer and closer, the information gets more and more accurate, until, voila, the flight actually leaves . Only then can they be completely accurate.

All you can do is sit on the plane and wait a few minutes, and some passengers are more patient than others. Nothing else you can do about it.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
And since I got it for free on Amazon, I'm not even eligible for a $10 gift card. Double bummer.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:13 am

Yikes, any good alternatives?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
This stinks. I use flightboard all the time. Usually when on the tarmac in EWR to see who I should be angry at, but often to get a sense of likelihood of my flight being delayed/cancelled. I can go into a rabbit hole searching all of the INT flights, their delays, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.