Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions
Print Wikipost

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 11:39 pm

who really knows...

My partner and I flew LAX to OGG on May 9 on a G fare, which was a free flight I won on United's TWEET-UP this past year. (original winning free tix were 2 comp coach tix any where United/Continental flew internationally, but getting those tix were impossible on dates we could fly, so hence Hawaii) I'm a plat, partner is general member. On Monday May 7th, I checked my status (as I do regularly with flights anymore) and noticed that we were both upgraded to 1st on the outgoing flight. Row 1H and G, and since we both aren't taller than 5'9", it was fine. Coming back was a different story. No upgrade 2 days before, so when I tried to check in at the 24 hour mark, I could only check in my partner, but not myself. Repeated calls to desk resulted in talking to confounded ticket agents. No luck from anyone. Just to check in at airport. Once at airport, even the ticket agents had to ask several others what to do. They found out the computer split our rezzies into two different itinerarys but nothing was ever sent to me via email with my new record locator. We were still in our original exit row seats (21 A & B, which offer more legroom and space than any seat in F) but I was put on the upgrade list. Never made it into F, since there was only one open seat and I was 3rd on UG list but enjoyed our exit row seats probably more. I don't think anyone can really say "if x happens then y will follow" since there are so many variables that are in play. It's like the roulette wheel in Vegas, you know the ball will land somewhere but more than likely if you're looking for a large payout, your chances will most likely be slim.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
What happens is you would be asked why you did not split the reservation so that either you or your wife is paired with your son, and the other alone, so you could get all three people upgraded.
Thanks Drewguy!

I'll split the record as you suggest. Last Dec. all 3 of us were upgraded off of one itin (pmUA), but I guess things have changed???
Old May 14, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You can definitely split a PNR, quite easy now for a 2 person one to do it online.
How do you do this online? I want to split a single pnr for two passengers into two separate pnrs. And if one of the segments is already upgraded with GPUs, should I worry?
Old May 18, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 2P
--Is it possible to add a companion on a separate PNR to the upgrade list at the gate? One twist: I've already been upgraded on a Y-UP for that segment.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hungry Dingo
My partner and I flew LAX to OGG on May 9 on a G fare, which was a free flight I won on United's TWEET-UP this past year. (original winning free tix were 2 comp coach tix any where United/Continental flew internationally, but getting those tix were impossible on dates we could fly, so hence Hawaii) I'm a plat, partner is general member. On Monday May 7th, I checked my status (as I do regularly with flights anymore) and noticed that we were both upgraded to 1st on the outgoing flight. Row 1H and G, and since we both aren't taller than 5'9", it was fine. Coming back was a different story. No upgrade 2 days before, so when I tried to check in at the 24 hour mark, I could only check in my partner, but not myself. R.
That's actually how it works. It's an auto-PNR split these days.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tiak
--Is it possible to add a companion on a separate PNR to the upgrade list at the gate? One twist: I've already been upgraded on a Y-UP for that segment.
Yes. I've done it myself.

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
How do you do this online? I want to split a single pnr for two passengers into two separate pnrs. And if one of the segments is already upgraded with GPUs, should I worry?
Open the reservation, and click on "separate traveler". It'll then ask you who you want to separate.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 19, 2012 at 6:27 am Reason: merge
Old May 19, 2012, 5:35 am

OK. Please provide some advice for an upcoming trip I have as I am very confused about how things are now.

I am Gold, the rest of my family (4) has no status. My 3 kids and I are on the same PNR, and my wife is on a different one. If I do nothing, nobody gets an upgrade, but I have a shot on this flight for myself and even a companion.

Questions:
1. Do I split myself off into a new PNR or do I split myself and one of my kids?
2. What happens on the return? Is is then split as well?
3. When should I split?

Thanks.
Old May 19, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by jonu
Questions:
1. Do I split myself off into a new PNR or do I split myself and one of my kids?
2. What happens on the return? Is is then split as well?
3. When should I split?

Thanks.
I would split yourself off so you can upgrade, but it gets a little murky re your wife and kids. Would you upgrade one of your kids or your wife? There's really no reason why you can't split everyone into their own PNRs, but my only concern would be about unaccompanied minor charges. Not sure about that one though.

Re #2, yes, the return is split.

#3, if you do split, do so before the gold window for max chance of a CPU.
Old May 19, 2012, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njcommodore
I would split yourself off so you can upgrade, but it gets a little murky re your wife and kids. Would you upgrade one of your kids or your wife? There's really no reason why you can't split everyone into their own PNRs, but my only concern would be about unaccompanied minor charges. Not sure about that one though.

Re #2, yes, the return is split.

#3, if you do split, do so before the gold window for max chance of a CPU.
He has no choice - he should split himself off with a child. Who sits where is a different discussion.

As long as he didn't call the pax a child when booking (ignoring the birthdates) it should be fine.
Old May 19, 2012, 7:52 pm

Goal is maximum upgrades; 1 is good, 2 is better. So split off myself and one child for this, or just myself?

Can't remember how I entered kids when I booked. All their birthdates are listed, though...
Old May 19, 2012, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonu
Goal is maximum upgrades; 1 is good, 2 is better. So split off myself and one child for this, or just myself?

Can't remember how I entered kids when I booked. All their birthdates are listed, though...
I don't think birthdates matter to the computer -- or to gate agents.

Not sure how old your kids are but, in theory, keeping one of your family members on your PNR and splitting the rest off is SUPPOSED to work best in the system to maximize upgrades (I've had problems with this in the recent past, but I'm trying it again this week).

BTW, remember to assign yourself and your upgrade companion the WORST seats in your coach reservation, so you don't lose your best coach seats if the upgrade clears.
Old May 21, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, National Exec
Companion Upgrade Policy Change?!?

I'm Gold and traveling with my wife to Bermuda this weekend, we are on the same PNR.

How will this upgrade work, is it at check in or T-48? Does it happen automatically like PMUA?
Old May 21, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA MM, Alaska Airlines MVP
Originally Posted by ORDFlyer33
In the past on PMUA, I always fly with my 8 year old daughter on my reservation and we would be upgraded together when the upgrade cleared in the window - which was very often.

So now, the new United will split us up (without warning) and she will be left in coach to fend for herself. Nice.
That happened with my son and I last month, except he is 3 months old! My husband (already on a separate PNR from us) and I (on the same PNR as my son initially) ended up clearing the upgrade 48 hours in advance and he never did. When I went to check in the computer gave him his own record locator. I called United to try and fix this and they said once the record is split they can't put it back together but I confirmed that he was #1 on the list and then like 6 people cut in front of him until FC was booked full. Even though he had his own seat (in coach), we ended up just holding him in our laps for most of the flight.

I complained to United about splitting the PNR and all they could do to "help" was to try and sell us the upgrade or voluntarily downgrade one or both of us My follow-up letter to customer care is yet to be answered.

Last edited by hulagrrl210; May 21, 2012 at 7:08 pm
Old May 21, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
Companion Upgrade Policy Change?!?

Mrs Flavorflav (silver on US), Toddler Flavorflav (2P) and I (1P) also struggle with the "2 out of 3 get upgraded" conundrum. I usually put my wife on my PNR and my 4-year-old on his own PNR. That way we have a solid chance at 2 upgrades and an outside chance (if fate is smiling on lowly 2Ps) of all three getting upgraded.

If only two of three get upgraded, the following happens:

1. I go up front with Toddler Flavorflav and drink free beer while Mrs Flavorflav sits in Y but also in toddler-free solitude

2. Mrs Flavorflav goes up front with the swells, we forego the other upgrade, and I sit in the back with my 4-year-old

My wife is the one who decides. I'm fine with that.

Like you, we are trying to work the system to maximize the chance of everyone getting upgraded. But when you travel with a small child, the risk seems obvious - to me - that it may not work out and you may have to forego an upgrade to accompany your child in Y. When you wrote that a UA employee proposed that you "voluntarily downgrade," the tone indicated that you were surprised. You should not have been. If you're traveling with a child and angling for an upgrade, there is always the chance that you clear and the child does not.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Is the system now working reliably, in the sense that there are discernable rules that are actually consistently applied?
Sorry, no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.