Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions
Print Wikipost

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: CO Infinte Platinum, UAL 1K
When will companion u/g's be fixed

Is there any word when we can expect the bugs to be fixed so that companion complimentary upgrades are processed timely and correctly with the premier member? The system still seems broken to me when I have tried to have my companion fly with me and attempt a premier upgrade on several recent flights. Hasn't it been long enough to fix the bugs?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Judging by the upgrade lists on the 5 segments I've been on/will be on this week, it's working now. There have been multiple couples (same last name) upgraded on every flight including four on one of my flights tomorrow.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Works well for me. I've cleared companion u/g on the same PNR LGA-DEN, IAH-LGA, EWR-CLE, EWR-RSW among others since 3/3.

No upgrade = the system is broken?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1P
In all 4 segments of my recent roundtrip (within last two weeks), both my companion and I on the same PNR received complimentary upgrades successfully (I am 1P and companion GM). I received emails about the upgrade at T-26 and T-32 hours. So maybe this isn't quite timely, but it did work. Oh, and the emails did not make it clear that both of us were upgraded, but instead implied only that I had received the upgrade. Yet, the situation was displayed clearly enough when I checked mobile.united.com. I did not do OLCI. Our PNR was never automatically split. FC seats were not automatically assigned at time of upgrade like they used to be for PMUA, but rather I went to united.com when I got the email and selected my FC seats without trouble there.

So, as long as you're not fussy about the upgrades occurring exactly at the supposed times and all communications stating clearly what happened, it seems possible for the system to dole out tandem complimentary upgrades correctly in advance.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If split on outbound, what about the return?

Hi all,

I am flying with my mother on a roundtrip from PHL to LAX (via PHX) this evening. I am a Premier Plat, and she's a Gold. We are booked on the same reservation.

Unfortunately, it seems that we have not been upgraded via CPU. I went to checkin online, and it gave us the option to split, which I am anxious to do.

Last time I did this (after choosing to split the reservation at checkin), we showed near the top of the Upgrade Standby List together on the outbound, which I believe is how the system is supposed to work. But when it came to the return flight, she was not upgraded with me via CPU, nor did she fall right near me on the Upgrade List at the gate.

Essential question: Have the kinks been worked out with regards to the "split" being remembered for the return portion?

If not, I'll just leave our PNR intact, hoping for the CPU right up until the GA starts processing upgrades. That way we undoubtedly will be picked up by the system on the return as well. I really only care about the "processed-together"/inheriting-my-status CPU benefit here because my mother is already a Gold.

Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum Marriott Platinum
So me and my gold status and my wife with no status can be cleared now for an upgrade before the 2 hour mark right? we are on a flight in 2 week where 18 of 20 F seats are open!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:04 am

Further update

On my return flight 20 out of 24 FC seats were open. I wasn't even on the upgrade list so I checked us both in via the iPhone app. It asked if only I wanted to increase my upgrade chances so I again said no. Frustratingly we are still not upgraded nor do we even show up on the upgrade list. System still not working as promised
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by boat9781
Hi all,

I am flying with my mother on a roundtrip from PHL to LAX (via PHX) this evening. I am a Premier Plat, and she's a Gold. We are booked on the same reservation.

Unfortunately, it seems that we have not been upgraded via CPU. I went to checkin online, and it gave us the option to split, which I am anxious to do.

Last time I did this (after choosing to split the reservation at checkin), we showed near the top of the Upgrade Standby List together on the outbound, which I believe is how the system is supposed to work. But when it came to the return flight, she was not upgraded with me via CPU, nor did she fall right near me on the Upgrade List at the gate.

Essential question: Have the kinks been worked out with regards to the "split" being remembered for the return portion?

If not, I'll just leave our PNR intact, hoping for the CPU right up until the GA starts processing upgrades. That way we undoubtedly will be picked up by the system on the return as well. I really only care about the "processed-together"/inheriting-my-status CPU benefit here because my mother is already a Gold.

Thanks!
Are you sure this is a UA metal flight and not a code share with US Air since you are getting to LAX via PHx? No CPU if that is the case.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by krentzie
So me and my gold status and my wife with no status can be cleared now for an upgrade before the 2 hour mark right? we are on a flight in 2 week where 18 of 20 F seats are open!
Umm, no.

Your upgrade window is not two weeks as a Gold.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by i_fly_to_much
Are you sure this is a UA metal flight and not a code share with US Air since you are getting to LAX via PHx? No CPU if that is the case.
Yup. UA/Skywest to PHX, mainline to EWR. My question remains:

Originally Posted by boat9781
Have the kinks been worked out with regards to the "split" being remembered for the return portion?
Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Platinum Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by aacharya
Umm, no.

Your upgrade window is not two weeks as a Gold.
Thats not what I asked. I asked if we can get upgraded together before the 2 hour mark of departure now?

Was saying its a flight in two weeks we are on and 18 of 20 seats are open. Not expecting to get upgraded before day of, but curious if we can both get upgraded at the 24 hour mark like I can be if I travel myself.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by krentzie
Yes. You can clear at the 48 hr (Premier Gold) mark if they open up UDU space. I have even cleared at the 72 hr mark for a wide open flight with a companion.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Best Way to get Upgrade (for 1K Traveller and Non-Status Spouse From LAX to HNL)?

I apologize for starting a new thread. I read through others but I wasn't clear on how to best ensure an upgrade.

I am 1K, husband is general member. We bought tickets today for LAX -->HNL for Saturday, return on Tuesday - L Fare class. PLane is 757-300 and has 16 open first seats. I am pretty confident I will get an UDU. Will hubby get UDU on same PNR as me even though he is general, or would I need to use an Regional for him? Will I get UDU if we are on same PNR or will I be held back because of his lack of status.

Sorry in advance, but thank you much for responses
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Your husband should clear at your window if there is enough availability for complimentary upgrades. There have been rumors that there is a separate fare bucket for companion upgrades, but I have had a great deal of success having companions on my PNR clear at my window. For now, I would recommend staying on the same PNR. If you split the PNR, the system is "supposed" to remember your husband, but I have had issues with that in the past. Even if you are both upgraded, the reservation will probably auto-split at check-in, but I would just let the system take its course for now. Happy Travels

Last edited by goldelite8; Jul 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm Reason: Didn't read the whole question...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
He is eligible for UDU since he's on the same booking. It says so here under the Companion Policy section: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../upgrades.aspx

As for whether you clear or not, L-class is pretty low, but I don't really know how elite-heavy HNL flights are; I tend to save my RPU/CR1s for Hawaii just to be safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.