Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA notified me, flight is delayed - can I delay going to the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA notified me, flight is delayed - can I delay going to the airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
We all evaluate risks differently. It also helps to be able to tell others that you may late, to rearrange business and social meetings and the like. It also helps with things like determining whether you can grab something to eat, sit in the UC or whatever. Just watch the monitors.

Lastly, it helps to figure out what's going on. If you are flying somewhere with hourly service, perhaps there is a proactive change to be made. If it's an 8-hour delay, go get some sleep.

But, if your future depends on the flight, go sit at the gate.
This. ^
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:54 pm
Suspended

I guess I just don't get it. UA makes clear that their "delay" info may or may not be accurate, may or may not change, and may or may not matter in the least. So I certainly wouldn't change plans or tell people waiting for me to change their plans based on such unreliable info.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewportGuy
I guess I just don't get it. UA makes clear that their "delay" info may or may not be accurate, may or may not change, and may or may not matter in the least. So I certainly wouldn't change plans or tell people waiting for me to change their plans based on such unreliable info.
No, but you can at least start thinking about alternative plans. And letting people know there is a possible delay and you will keep them posted is not a bad thing either.

What you decide to do or not do with the info is up to you. I like having the info.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That's your choice. Others make evaluations based on it and are willing to accept risk. There's no right & wrong to this.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme
I'm curious what UA's policy is when you miss a flight that was listed as being delayed but ends up leaving on time.

Twice in recent past, I've been on my way to the airport when I was notified that my flight was delayed. The delay grew long enough that I had plenty of time to stop for coffee or dinner before driving the rest of the way to the airport. On both occasions, I was just about to sit down when I received a notification that the flight would leave on time after all. I made the flights, but with seconds to spare.

Now, I'm paranoid and I ignore delays until I get to the gate. But that is making for some very long and uncomfortable trips.
The rules are pretty clear. When they notify you of a delay they also notify you to still be at the gate at the original scheduled time because delays can change.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:17 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I would. I'd say "my flight is most likely going to be late, I'll call you right before push back to confirm the time, don't leave your house until you hear from me as if you do, you might end up waiting at the airport. You could also check the flight status online, if that's convienent for you." Or "I may be late, don't put the dinner in the oven until you hear from me." Or "I might not be able to make that meeting on time. Can you fill in for me until I get there?"

If you are 100% self sufficient, never rely on others or have them rely on you for anything, I guess this has less importance.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
A couple weeks ago I was in a taxi to LGA for my flight to IAD. I got a text that my flight was delayed 50 minutes. I looked at the inbound and looked at the weather, and realized that fog was keeping flights from arriving at LGA. I immediately told the driver to take me to NYP and got on the next Acela to DC. That delay notice was super helpful to me, as my flight ultimately was canceled. Being informed that there's a situation and having the opportunity to assess costs and benefits of potential options is very valuable.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:51 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
but you can make your own assessments and decide how much risk you want to assume....At a hub, you can perhaps SDC or get an agent to rebook you, deciding yourself if you want to voluntarily switch to less convenient flights or to flights where you won't be upgraded.
This is what I use it for. On Sunday my flight from IAH got a :30 min delay. After :30 mins, was told another :60 mins. I decided a full day rested was better than getting in as later as 12:45 pm. So I rebooked and bought myself a hotel on Hotwire. I lost: in the UClub right after I finished rebooking and booking the hotel, the flight started boarding. However, I've had creeping delays before that have gone on for HOURS. I used the information to make a judgement call based on my own experience. Most times it works to my benefit, sometimes not.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year I was at IAH waiting for a flight near the gate for UA7(IAH-NRT) when an announcement was made that UA7 would be delayed at least 4 hours and the gate agents were offering to put people on the second flight to NRT. A short time later after the herd of people switched flights, a second announcement was made that UA7 would be boarding in 30 minuets.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:54 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nigos
United before the merger set a policy that once a delay was announced the flight would leave no earlier than the rescheduled departure but I think this policy no longer exists
That was technically their policy, but I had it happen many times otherwise. If the delay is due to ATC/WX and they get an updated, earlier clearance window, you can bet they're going to take it. (I've seen several people left behind for exactly that reason, too: 2-4 hour delay announced, and 45 minutes into it, we get an updated clearance, board, and leave ASAP. There's a reason they tell you to stay near the gate.)

So again my question stands. WHY THE MESSAGE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

It serves NO function.
It serves plenty of function!

First, it's fairly rare for the flight to leave earlier than the posted delay. So in the majority of cases, that delay info is accurate enough. Second, it gives me time to work on alternate plans if necessary.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Has anybody actually been charged a fee or forced to rebuy a ticket after missing a flight that got un-delayed?

I can't imagine that the airline wouldn't rebook you for free in that case, although you'd prob be on your own for hotels etc.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
Back when I was a 1K (PmUA), I was booked ABE-IAD-SFO on an early Saturday departure. About two hours before departure, UA called me at home to tell me the ABE-IAD segment had been canceled (one of those SF3s), that I was rebooked PHL-SFO direct, and, that a limo would pick me up at my house to take me to PHL in "about 90 minutes."

Told the dear wife and suggested we get breakfast. Just as we were served, I got another call from UA saying the ABE-IAD segment was "uncanceled" and would depart on time, and that I needed to get to ABE ASAP. The CSR was quite apologetic, and rebooked me in full F (lots more EQMs and RDMs) for the IAD-SFO segment.

Fortunately, we were close to the airport so I had no trouble making the flight.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
3 pages and no one has actually answered OP's question:

They will rebook you to a later flight with available seats (with the meaning of "available" determined by United) and you can also standby for any flights before the one UA is able to confirm you on.

Note that UA is not OBLIGATED to do this (the ticket is technically void once you're not at the gate for departure) but UA's policy is to do it anyway.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:37 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
what is airport arrival best practice when intl flight delayed X hrs?

Hi all -- real time advice question asking your expertise here.

When a flight is declared 2.5 hours delayed due to aircraft servicing, SFO-HKG, is it ok to arrive at the airport with the same time margin you would have arrived prior to the original flight? Or would you go earlier to protect against the possibility that they move it up somehow? With bags?

Thanks a lot.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler.
Usually with that type of delay, the notification says something like...."travelers are advised to be at the gate by the originally scheduled departure time, as the flight status may change".
So I usually just arrive at the normal time.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.