Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA notified me, flight is delayed - can I delay going to the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA notified me, flight is delayed - can I delay going to the airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Policy on missing delayed flight that leaves on time

I'm curious what UA's policy is when you miss a flight that was listed as being delayed but ends up leaving on time.

Twice in recent past, I've been on my way to the airport when I was notified that my flight was delayed. The delay grew long enough that I had plenty of time to stop for coffee or dinner before driving the rest of the way to the airport. On both occasions, I was just about to sit down when I received a notification that the flight would leave on time after all. I made the flights, but with seconds to spare.

Now, I'm paranoid and I ignore delays until I get to the gate. But that is making for some very long and uncomfortable trips.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I usually see a notice that things could change and you should still be there for the originally scheduled departure time. Could get a substitute plane, crew, inbound could make up more time than they thought.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
its generally safer to heed the delay notice at an outstation where you're much less likely to get a sub and can generally get a good sense of the actual ETA of the inbound.

if its a weather or ATC, especially at a hub... harder to risk.

We had a 3 hour delay on AC out of SFO, they sent out notice in the AM, before the aircraft left YYZ, it was a 763 and they obviously couldn't sub it. So we knew we were safe. Got to have a much more leisurely lunch and hang out with friends (and then of course some good centurion lounge food before the flight)
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
I usually see a notice that things could change and you should still be there for the originally scheduled departure time. Could get a substitute plane, crew, inbound could make up more time than they thought.
United before the merger set a policy that once a delay was announced the flight would leave no earlier than the rescheduled departure but I think this policy no longer exists

Last edited by goalie; Jun 1, 2015 at 7:40 pm Reason: Removed trolling comments
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nigos
United before the merger set a policy that once a delay was announced the flight would leave no earlier than the rescheduled departure but I think this policy no longer exists.
I would be glad the policy doesn't exist anymore. If I am waiting at the gate for my connection and it can make up part of the delay I am happy. Or even if it is the originating flight I would be happy as it may mean making another connection down the line. And I honestly don't remember Pre merger UA having that policy and I have been flying UA since 1997 (as a MP member, all my life on and off). Doesn't mean it wasn't there, just that I don't remember it.

Last edited by goalie; Jun 1, 2015 at 7:41 pm Reason: Edited quoted post to match edited original
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nigos
United before the merger set a policy that once a delay was announced the flight would leave no earlier than the rescheduled departure but I think this policy no longer exists.
PMUA had this as one of 12(?) customer commitments that they advertised. But it wasn't followed.

My wife learned the hard way - 2 hour delay announced out of ORD, so we went for dinner. Midway through dinner, got the update that it would leave on time, so immediately packed everything up and got to the airport. She was the last person on board, but did just get there before the door closed.

Last edited by goalie; Jun 1, 2015 at 7:43 pm Reason: Edited quoted post to match edited original post
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:53 pm

My SOP is to be at the gate ready for an on-time departure until I'm told the flight's canceled.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Same as if you had missed the flight without a published delay at any time.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
My SOP is to be at the gate ready for an on-time departure until I'm told the flight's canceled.
Even in extreme delays? EWR was posting some 6+ hour delays yesterday. I even saw an 8-hour delayed flight into EWR.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:42 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
#3's advice is good. Check the inbound flight to have a much better idea whether the delay is real and sustained. It is more reliable when the route is unlikely to be able to sub in another aircraft (this takes some experience to know - sometimes a 757 may be easy to substitute, sometimes an RJ might).

If it is more than 3 hours anyway, I usually try to start finding alternatives...
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA G
Depends on the reason. Flights into SFO are frequently held at the origin due to low ceilings/weather, so airlines will usually post a delay based upon that. If weather clears, they can and will pull the flight in.

Missing a delayed flight is the same as missing an on-time flight -- it's on you.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:56 pm
Suspended

So what's the point of being notified of delays? If you have to be at the gate on time anyway what does it matter?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
So what's the point of being notified of delays? If you have to be at the gate on time anyway what does it matter?
"This new departure time is the worst case as we know it now. We'll get you home sooner if we can, so please stick around."

Pretty sure most people would be happy to hear that.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
So what's the point of being notified of delays?
If they didn't do that, can you imagine how many hundreds or thousands of posts that thread would be? How many threats of legal action and DOT filings and "I'll never fly United again" rants?

More information is always better than less information. It's up to you to decide how to use it.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If they didn't do that, can you imagine how many hundreds or thousands of posts that thread would be? How many threats of legal action and DOT filings and "I'll never fly United again" rants?

More information is always better than less information. It's up to you to decide how to use it.
But you CAN'T use it. You can't do anything with it. It doesn't matter what the message says, be at the gate on time. PERIOD.

The idea pre-merger was a good one. If the flight is going to be 2 hours late, why not stay home or in your hotel, or go to dinner, IF you can count on that message being reliable? But no matter what it says, you are required to be at the gate on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.