Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
On a few occasions, it's taken me 2-3 tries via fax. They never seem to give feedback--the miles just show up in a few days if successful. But it's always worked eventually.
You must have better mojo. I re-faxed my ORC request a week ago, and yesterday got this response:
Hello Mr. Beltway,

Thank you for writing.

Our records indicate that your ticket for flight numbers xxxx and yyyy from Chicago to Milwaukee and Milwaukee to Chicago on May 12, 2010 was not flown. Mileage Plus credit can be earned only when a published-fare ticket is purchased and the flight flown.

We appreciate the time you took to write and for giving us the opportunity to clarify this matter.
Calling the MPSC today (for the second time, after calling 2 weeks ago) worked no better.

Bizarrely, even though my original itin was DCA-ORD-MKE-ORD-DCA, and I flew only DCA-ORD-DCA owing to the ORD-MKE cancellation, the system shows the unused portion of my ticket as MKE-ORD-DCA(!). So I can't even do the missing segments (ORD-MKE-ORD) as a side trip on a future trip passing thru ORD.

Please note: I don't mean to criticize you, exerda. I appreciate the advice above. I'm just noting for the thread that in the situation I have -- where some of the coupons remain outstanding/subject to refund -- UA's policy seems to be not to grant ORC. That, at least, is what my data point says.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: DL GM US silver AA GM Jet Blue True Blue
Memorial Day Irrops and Double Dipping

I was hoping that many of the FT experts may be able to help me sort out a question I have about mileage double dipping, and also if you have any opinions about whether it is appropriate to request compensation for our Memorial Day Irrops.

So what happened was this. We were scheduled to fly from LIT to DCA by way of ORD. On Memorial Day, when we left the hotel, everything looked on time but in the twenty minutes it took us to arrive at LIT, our LIT flight was delayed 2.5 hours from 2:38 to 5:00. This delay was going to cause a misconnect in ORD. We were informed that although we could go stand-by, we could not be confirmed on another flight from ORD to DCA until Tuesday later afternoon/early evening. We had to get back to DCA by Tuesday morning so that was not acceptable. We were finally able to find a solution: our ticket was assigned to DL, and we were put on a direct flight from MEM to DCA. But we were responsible for getting ourselves from LIT to MEM.

My questions are therefore:

1) I know that if we were crediting our miles to MP, we would be entitled to double dip, i.e. collect miles on DL and collect original routing credit on UA. The issue is that we would like to credit our miles to US, where we both tend to qualify for elite status by segments. Is this possible? If so, which program should we be in touch with about receiving the credit, UA or US?

2) I know it's a long shot, and perhaps not appropriate in these circumstnaces, but I'm wondering if there's any chance you think we can get some kind of compensation for the ordeal. The one-way rental car and fuel put us out something like $150, and it would be great to receive either some cash or miles for the inconveneince.

I would welcome any thoughts you can offer...
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by beltway
You must have better mojo. I re-faxed my ORC request a week ago, and yesterday got this response:Calling the MPSC today (for the second time, after calling 2 weeks ago) worked no better.

Bizarrely, even though my original itin was DCA-ORD-MKE-ORD-DCA, and I flew only DCA-ORD-DCA owing to the ORD-MKE cancellation, the system shows the unused portion of my ticket as MKE-ORD-DCA(!). So I can't even do the missing segments (ORD-MKE-ORD) as a side trip on a future trip passing thru ORD.

Please note: I don't mean to criticize you, exerda. I appreciate the advice above. I'm just noting for the thread that in the situation I have -- where some of the coupons remain outstanding/subject to refund -- UA's policy seems to be not to grant ORC. That, at least, is what my data point says.
If you want to avoid this, the agent either needs to exchange the ticket and ORC can be done or the agent needs to apply both coupons to one segment
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Plat Prem, Hertz Pres Circle
Bonus Miles for *A Reroute?

Booked MCI-DEN-LAX-SYD on 7/30 and mis-connected in LAX due to weather in DEN (UA701 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ay-7-30-a.html).

My original itinerary was all booked on United flying United metal. Due to the mis-connect in LAX, I was rerouted/protected on Air New Zealand flights through Aucland (NZ5 and NZ103).

I am certain that I will get 100% points credit for my flights, but am I entitled to my original 100% bonus credit for being 1K.

I understand that there is not bonus credit for booking *A flights are part of your original booking, but this was a protected re-route. Thoughts or experiences? Thanks. MC
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Plat Prem, Hertz Pres Circle
Thank you

Thank you to the mod or whoever migrated my post into this one. My search did not turn up what I was originally looking for.

Though that may be because I am currently in the middle of SIN-HKG-SFO-DEN-MCI and am feeling a little weary.

Lesson: dont post and jet lag I event noticed some spelling mistakes that I was too tired to catch the first time.

Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
MP Credit for Invol Reroute on other Airline + vouchers!!

A good experience I had...

Me and my fiancee were travelling PHL-ORD-SEA and our PHL-ORD flight had a mech issue during taxi (flight display went bad) so we went back to the gate to get it changed out. We were going to be a bit over an hour late. Being proactive, when offloaded in PHL I called 1K desk and discovered the only other ORD-SEA available was late at night. I was able to easily convince them to put me on American at a more convenient time. Ran to the RCC (not close to the UA gates) to get it ticketed before reboarding and thankfully got there before the big line grew at the desk of the single matron/agent staffed there! Got back to the gate just in time for reboarding.

On arrival at ORD, the GA who came on said that ORD-SEA was being HELD for connecting PAX and we should RUN there. Even though I had been re-accomodated, we ran over to see if we could get on. At least 3 GAs closing out the flight and one quickly took our BPs and ran onto the plane to see if they could find 2 seats [even though my old UA BPs were now invalid...]. Came back and said, sorry... closed the doors. They told us to stick around and I noticed the "Volunteers Wanted" still on the display and some vouchers being handed out. They told me that we would be given each a set of $400 vouchers "for our trouble". I then remembered the rule that if you get to the gate before the door is closed and they are giving out VDBs, you get one too! So that was the REAL reason. The inbound aircraft had also been an hour late so more connections were successful than expected and they couldn't accommodate everyone, hence the VDBs.

We got our vouchers and were instructed how to get to the American terminal through the walking route.

At American I feared being treated as common scum, but was pleasantly surprised to find we were booked to AA under PriorityAAccess and got great seats and early boarding!

So the next day I called 1K Desk and asked if we could get credit for the UA flight we didnt take since we paid for it. They said sure! And after a few minutes, badda boom, we both got our EQMs and RDMs! woo hoo!

My point here is be SURE to ask for this if you do get accommodated on another airline. I wasn't aware it was so easy.... [not like the craziness I went through to get credit on an Air China flight that was still ultimately denied... another story]

Sorry for all those ORD horror stories out there, we lucked out it sounds like but we were treated exactly how 1K + 3P companion should have been in this situation, thankfully!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by dmodemd
... Ran to the RCC (not close to the UA gates) to get it ticketed before reboarding ...
Why is this necessary? UA can issue e-tickets on American and other carriers. On the other hand, both times this has happened to me and family members, the UA ICC agent didn't do it right and we had to call UA again (sometimes multiple times) to get them to do it properly.

Originally Posted by dmodemd
At American I feared being treated as common scum, but was pleasantly surprised to find we were booked to AA under PriorityAAccess and got great seats and early boarding!
Nice touch on AA's part! That was my family's experience too, when routed on AA (minus the great seats - there were only crappy ones left).
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by snic
Why is this necessary? UA can issue e-tickets on American and other carriers. On the other hand, both times this has happened to me and family members, the UA ICC agent didn't do it right and we had to call UA again (sometimes multiple times) to get them to do it properly.
Might not have been but this was strike two in my experiences getting reticketed on another carrier.

Case #1: Re-routed on Continental by 1K desk. Went to check in counter at EWR with the conf # and they had no evidence I was rerouted by United. They asked where my ticket was, and I said I had nothing, I did it over the phone. Was told I didnt need anything. A red coat was called over and he seemed to know what to do and all he needed was my UA conf #. He eventually got it straightened out with some calls and computer work. Don't know what I needed to do different next time?

Case #2 - this one: I went to the RCC to try and avoid what happened before and make sure all was in order. They did a lot of work and gave me a ticket receipt. So when I showed up at the AA gate with that they said "this is just a receipt" and didn't know what to do. Another GA managed to figure it out and I was ok but also caused confusion.

What IS the proper procedure when being re-routed by 1K desk over the phone??
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by snic

Nice touch on AA's part! That was my family's experience too, when routed on AA (minus the great seats - there were only crappy ones left).
Actually, it was probably a nice touch on UA's part. When UA rebooked the passengers onto the AA flight, it was probably in a high fare family / booking class that entitled the passenger to Priority AAcess and seating.

The only reason the pax were treated just above scum was because UA paid for it :-).
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: Platinum
Trouble getting original mileage credit

(sorry if there is an appropriate thread, please move if appropriate)

I'm having difficulty getting original mileage credit for a weather related rerouting. We had a trip to DTW (through ORD) last month, and due to fog in SFO, was rerouted through PHX on US (one flight number, "direct"). My kids are only 2 segments away from 2p, so I asked for original mileage credit, but even with multiple phone calls, fax and letter to Mileage Plus, I'm not getting anywhere. It's only a couple of segments, but I paid for them, darn it! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Did you get the routing you actually flew with US credited?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by frankmu
... so I asked for original mileage credit, but even with multiple phone calls, fax and letter to Mileage Plus, I'm not getting anywhere. ...
What explanation are you getting?
Was the re-routing at your request?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: Platinum
Thanks for the replies. ^ The reroute was due to weather (the 50+ foggy mornings at SFO this summer). We would have missed our connection to ORD by 3 hours.

I just got another denial letter from MP today. The reason is "THE NAME SUBMITTED IS NOT A TICKETED NAME ON THIS FLIGHT". I noticed the first name and first initial are combined ie: frankmuX (where X is my middle initial) If this is the case, this is frustrating. Actually, the US ticket is frankmuXMR, for mister, i guess.

The weird thing is, Mileage Plus credited me for BOTH flights, the missed one as well as the US flight. I'll just make 1p this year and no more, so the mileage is wasted on me. My youngest got credited for one of the segments. I don't know why it would be so hard to get the original mileage credited. I had no problems getting original credit earlier this spring for a mechanical out of EWR. Again, I hate to waste all this time for a couple of segments, but the kids will get status out of it. We have one more major trip in a couple of weeks, so they will get it. It would have been nice to have status for the trip though, there's a slight advantage when irrops happen.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:34 pm

Down to the wire on Dec. 31

We will be 6000 miles shy of the next elite level in Dec. Low and behold, we have a 7000 mile return flight scheduled on Dec. 31.

International air travel the way it is, we need to consider that there may be some kind of delay (whether weather, missed connection, VDB, etc.) which might very well push that return flight to the next day........2011.

What are the chances that we will be able get MP to credit our account the appropriate miles for 2010 if for some chance our intended date of travel gets delayed? Would there be a difference in the answer to this question if it was a weather or a schedule day which causes a missed connection as opposed to a VDB?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by msk6261
We will be 6000 miles shy of the next elite level in Dec. Low and behold, we have a 7000 mile return flight scheduled on Dec. 31.

International air travel the way it is, we need to consider that there may be some kind of delay (whether weather, missed connection, VDB, etc.) which might very well push that return flight to the next day........2011.

What are the chances that we will be able get MP to credit our account the appropriate miles for 2010 if for some chance our intended date of travel gets delayed? Would there be a difference in the answer to this question if it was a weather or a schedule day which causes a missed connection as opposed to a VDB?
If you VDB and take a flight the next day, then the answer is almost certainly no - you will not get credit for 2010.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.