Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Old Mar 3, 09, 3:24 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: UA S
Posts: 1,316
Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Scheduled SJC-SBA-SFO-PIT, due to weather in SFO, SBA-SFO was cancelled so the SJC GA cancelled the first 2 segments and I just flew SFO-PIT.
CS Rep claims I cant claim original credit for SJC-SBA-SFO flights since they were never flown.
However, if I had been rebooked onto another SJC-PIT routing (none of which were available same day, hence my decision to cancel the SBA stop), I would have been able to claim credit?

Can anyone agree/disagree with me on this?
whakojacko is offline  
Old Mar 3, 09, 5:32 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ravens Country
Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Posts: 3,887
I believe since the delay was weather you wont qualify for the credit.

You would only get the credit if the change was due to something in UAs control.
Benny8444 is offline  
Old Mar 3, 09, 6:53 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DEN
Programs: UA Plat 1MM, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,181
Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
You would only get the credit if the change was due to something in UAs control.
Doesn't seem consistent with info in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l-eqm-eqs.html
FortFun is offline  
Old Mar 3, 09, 7:01 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: UA S
Posts: 1,316
Originally Posted by FortFun View Post
Doesn't seem consistent with info in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l-eqm-eqs.html
exactly why I was really confused. There isnt much info on FT about original routing crediting..
Should I just call customer relations tomorrow and try my luck with another agent?
whakojacko is offline  
Old Mar 3, 09, 7:21 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: GA
Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-exDM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Posts: 7,947
Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
I believe since the delay was weather you wont qualify for the credit.
Definitely NOT true in my experience.

In the OP's case, I think it is probably the fact that you used a different departing city that MP might be hesitant to give you credit. If you had flown SJC-PIT through any route I would bet that you'd have no trouble getting credit. Usually they remove the flights flown and add credit for the flights booked. However, in this case they are only adding flights, which seems a bit odd to them I'm sure.

I would try again though...
CPMaverick is online now  
Old Mar 3, 09, 7:24 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: UA S
Posts: 1,316
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Definitely NOT true in my experience.

In the OP's case, I think it is probably the fact that you used a different departing city that MP might be hesitant to give you credit. If you had flown SJC-PIT through any route I would bet that you'd have no trouble getting credit.

I would try again though...
Yea the fact that I flew a subset of my initial itin is definitely odd, so I can see your point on why MP wouldnt like this. However given that cancelling the first 2 segments was far better than my other alternatives, I think I ought to be able to defend my situation (maybe)
whakojacko is offline  
Old Mar 7, 09, 9:13 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: Underentitled UA 1k, various hotel progs
Posts: 345
Earlier this week I was scheduled SFO-LAX-JFK; the first leg was delayed due to mechanical and I was rerouted direct SFO-JFK, which is what posted. Just called to request original routing credit, no problem and it showed up on .bomb before I got off the phone! I'm amazed that it was that incredibly fast and easy... perhaps because the fault was mechanical and not weather?
ccharles is offline  
Old Mar 7, 09, 11:27 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MBS/FNT/LAN
Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Posts: 9,211
I have had 100% success getting original routing credit (even for WX changes) by FAXING MPCS, write a letter (include all relevant BP's and the original itinerary).

Fax number can be found in the FAQ page.
jhayes_1780 is online now  
Old Mar 8, 09, 8:35 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: IND
Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
Posts: 586
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
I have had 100% success getting original routing credit (even for WX changes) by FAXING MPCS, write a letter (include all relevant BP's and the original itinerary).

Fax number can be found in the FAQ page.
+1. Every ORC situation I've been in was because of weather, so that should not be a factor. You paid for a trip and you want credit for those segments/miles. Don't give up!
frekwentflier is offline  
Old Mar 8, 09, 8:59 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 12,101
It's not a question of WX or not, I can concur with the other responses about getting original routing credit for WX cancellations/delays that would have had me miss my connection.

Again, might be the fact that you left from a different city. You could try faxing in, but I'd go by rule # 1 - if you don't like the answer you're getting, call back and find another agent.
emcampbe is online now  
Old Apr 27, 09, 8:07 am
  #11  
smn
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Posts: 281
Cancelled Flight - Less Segments/Miles?

I've been reading this board for about a year now since I first reached premier status. I've searched for an answer to this question, and found similar issues, but not quite the same.

I had a flight booked for PHL -> ORD -> MSP in June. I have a wedding on the day, so I had to get there as early as possible. Had a flight leaving PHL @ 7 AM and arriving at MSP at 10:30 AM (need to be at the hotel by noon). Today I noticed (coincidentally - United has yet to inform me) that the ORD->MSP flight was canceled and they have re-booked me on a later flight. There is an earlier flight that leaves at 6 AM and gets in at 9:30 AM which I'm going to try to have them switch me to.

Here's my question. The original routing was 2 separate segments, with separate mileage accumulation for both. The new flight (6 AM) is one flight number that has a plane change in ORD but it looks like I'll only get 1 segment out of it and only the miles as if it was a direct PHL -> MSP flight (this is the only flight of the day for PHL->MSP routing that has the same flight number, but i need to get in as early as possible).

Is there any way to get United to give me 2 segments for this? (I could care less about the 200 miles I lose out of it).

Thanks.
smn is offline  
Old Apr 27, 09, 12:20 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 68
Question why fax?

Just put together a letter + numerous support items to respond to MPCS letter on similar problem (*alliance mileage error); was abt to snailmail it off to Rapid City -- is there some reason why faxing is better? (Calling not a good option in this case as one needs to 'see' actual BPs to follow story.)
MaryHillyer is offline  
Old Apr 27, 09, 10:45 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: IND
Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
Posts: 586
Originally Posted by MaryHillyer View Post
Just put together a letter + numerous support items to respond to MPCS letter on similar problem (*alliance mileage error); was abt to snailmail it off to Rapid City -- is there some reason why faxing is better? (Calling not a good option in this case as one needs to 'see' actual BPs to follow story.)
Experiences by many on here have shown that if you mail it may take weeks to get fixed, and there's a good chance it will be lost. If you fax, it usually takes just a few days to get fixed. So always fax!
frekwentflier is offline  
Old Oct 19, 09, 8:44 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: arlington, va
Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Posts: 657
Credit for Irregular Ops

Last week was flying COS - DEN - IAD and the COS - DEN flight was cancelled. United chartered a Gray Line bus; a United agent took our boarding passes as we boarded the bus; arrived in DEN in time to catch the original flight. This was my return home. Booked full Y.

Am trying to make sure I requalify for 1P next year so every EQM helps.

A week later, no credit appears for this flight so I call the MP Service Center. Agent points out I did not fly and talks about a compensation offer she is going to email me. She was very vague about what this compensation was but it sounded like bonus miles. I tell her I do not want compensation- I just want the credit for the travel that day from COS to DEN.

The agent was definitely off shore. Very polite, lots of sorry this and sorry that, but talking was fruitless.

What exactly is United's policy and practice with granting credit for Irregular Operations?
greg is offline  
Old Oct 19, 09, 8:53 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 60,053
You should call again and ask for credit for the COS-DEN flight and explain that the agent at the bus took the BPs, etc. It may take several calls.

I don't know that there is an official policy, per se, but I have rarely had problems getting "original routing credit" due to irrops; I once did have to call 3x times (first two agents claimed "the policy changed"). If you can get a non-ICC agent, that would help, too (tougher as a 2P, I know).

Sometimes, it has paid to keep my rerouted credit (as the often-full-Y flights have yielded more EQM than the original itin), but if I read your post correctly, you were in full Y to begin with, right? (And thus should be due 750 EQM for the COS-DEN flight.)
exerda is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: