Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jackstay
... I was expecting to earn 13,994 EQM (5252 x 2 + 1745 x 2, including DEQM) for UA842, which is what I received for UA843 LAX-ORD-GRU outbound. Oddly enough, the waitlisted upgrade on "My Itineraries" showed the mileage as 6156, the great circle mileage between GRU and LAX not the sum of the two individual segments so its possible if the upgrade had happened it may have resulted in fewer EQM/RDMs. I have no idea why the two cases for the same flights would be calculated differently. ....
Depends on how this flight was booked. If booked as a single "direct" flight 842 -- the based mileage credit is 6,156 -- the great circle distance. If booked as two separate segments then it would be 5,252+1,745 = 6,997.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ght-miles.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ike-cx-wn.html

Originally Posted by Jackstay
...The question is whether to apply for the original routing credit or to leave well enough alone. I will qualify for 1K either way, but not if the GRU-LAX flights aren't credited at all (or are not credited until after 31 Dec?). Three reasons to try to get ORC are (1) 4 more e500s, possibly useful before UDU begins (2) better RDM yield and (3) 14K miles closer to MM. The negative is the remote risk of not making 1K if there is a cock-up. ....
There is also the issue of the time and effort to make this happen. I probably would skip it but could easily be tempted in going ahead and getting the correction. You have until at least the end of January to get this fix
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
Depends on how this flight was booked. If booked as a single "direct" flight 842 -- the based mileage credit is 6,156 -- the great circle distance. If booked as two separate segments then it would be 5,252+1,745 = 6,997.
Actually, the flight listing on united.com showed a single flight with the miles value equal to the sum of the segments. The confirmation itinerary looked like this for the outbound, similar for the return:

UNITED 843
Depart: LOS ANGELES 1:30 PM
Arrive: SAO PAULO/GRU 12:02 PM
Seat(s): STOPOVER
Equip: PLANE CHANGE AT ORD
MP miles: 6997
When posted in my MP account, it shows as two separate flights.

There is another inconsistency: When I tried to upgrade only the domestic portion of the outbound (the international leg was F0C0), I could not do it and neither apparently could a couple of agents who told me that they had listed me for an upgrade but in fact had not. I did eventually get an upgrade, but it took four tries:

(1) When I tried to request the upgrade on united.com I found it would only accept a request for the whole journey (LAX-GRU) and would only accept miles or an SWU as the means to pay for it. This makes it seem as if the system viewed the two segments as one indivisible international flight. I called and was told the request was in. There was no indication on united.com that such a request was in fact "in".

(2) When the supposed requested upgrade failed to transition to "waitlisted" at the 1P window, I called again and was told the same thing.

(3) When I did OLCI 24 hours before departure there was again no indication of the upgrade request ever having existed. I called and was told that I had not been on the upgrade list but now was.

(4) I inquired at the check-in desk at LAX and received a DM card showing I was added to the list as of that time. I think this confirms that I was not previously on the upgrade list. I got the upgrade at the gate when a couple decided to decline one upgrade so as to travel together in economy. I got the last seat in F.

Most of this indicates that United views the single flight number/multiple segment international flight as a single international flight, but in this case at least they did list the flight as accruing the miles via ORD and did post my account as two flights.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
DEQS original routing credit question

Here's a squirelly question. I don't expect an authoritative answer, but I'm interested the collective's insights.

I am going on a same-day turn MR (actually a segment run) on Dec. 15 to make 1P. I am at 53 segments now, and with this four-segment trip (RIC-ORD-MCO-ORD-RIC) I will make 61.

I don't have anyplace to be the following morning, so I would be in a position to take an overnight VDB at MCO if the opportunity arises. However, that would mean flying the last two segments on Dec. 16 -- putting me at 59 for the year. I have no more revenue trips planned for the year.

Would UA give me the extra two segments in the vein of giving original routing credit? Of course, a VDB is my choice. This isn't an involuntary reroute situation. I'd love the VDB, but not at the expense of 1P next year.

Thoughts?

Last edited by flavorflav; Dec 13, 2009 at 12:59 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:04 pm

Probably not. If you were idb'd or mx'd, yes. If you vdb, not likely.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 2:11 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flavorflav
Here's a squirelly question. I don't expect an authoritative answer, but I'm interested the collective's insights.
Very unlikely IMHO.

It's also possible the rebooking on the VDB could be in full Y, which between the two flights would put you right at 60 (given each would earn 1.5 EQS)--but that's neither an entitlement nor a guarantee.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Original routing credit Q

My wife was supposed to fly LGA-ORD-HKG in paid F/C tomorrow...that plus 30,000 Choices (no time for a MR) puts her just over 100K. HOWEVER, due to all the weather snafus (I'm guessing), they cancelled her LGA flight tomorrow - the only one that was (maybe since it's the only 757 flying that route - plane needed elsewhere?). Of course, there's not a single EWR/LGA/HPN flight that would allow her to make her connection...all classes zeroed out til afternoon.

The good news is that she was re-booked in C on ANA, JFK-NRT-HKG. But she'll only get 100% miles for EQM (and not 150%), leaving her ~4,000 miles short of 100K.

So - I'm assuming the original routing credit situation applies here? I'd think so as it technically isn't "weather" that got her flight cancelled, more like operations (though there isn't any explanation given on the flight). No time for any add'l flights.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by UA-NYC; Dec 20, 2009 at 2:14 pm Reason: more detail
Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Can I get back my original routing credit?

This May, I booked a *A flight operated by CA (PVG-PEK). However, the flight was cancelled and I was rebooked to MU, which is not a *A member. I asked UA for original credit but was told that "I am sorry, but customers who were on a partner airline and rescheduled on a non-partner airline are not eligible to earn credit ( including Elite Qualifying Miles or redeemable miles) for the originally scheduled partner flights. " Did I get the correct answer? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 20, 2009 at 6:30 pm Reason: no need to start a new thread when there's already an existing one
Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Call MP CS (1-800-421-4655 during business hours) and ask from ORC for an INVOLUNATRY change. Calling the regular number is no help on this (although 1K desk should be able to handle this). However calling this late maybe a problem -- six months is a bit far back. Do you have orginal BPs? Also CA should be the one requesting credit. This may be a difficult one to resolve. And may not be worth the minor mileage.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 20, 2009 at 6:53 pm
Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Call MP CS (1-800-421-4655 during business hours) and ask from ORC for an INVOLUNATRY change. Calling the regular number is no help on this (although 1K desk should be able to handle this). However calling this late maybe a problem -- six months is a bit far back. Do you have orginal BPs? Also CA should be the one requesting credit. This may be a difficult one to resolve. And may not be worth the minor mileage.
Oh, thanks for the information! That indeed helps. I just took a look at the "Request mileage credit" page on United, and it says that the maximal retrocredit time is 12 months. So I would like to give it a try, not so much for this minor credit but just to know what to do in case this happens in future. Again, I appreciate your suggest
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:19 pm

Miles for original routing when bumped/rerouted

I have heard on Flyertalk that United will give you credit for the original routing when they bump you and reroute. Does anyone know if they also give you EQM's and lifetime miles equivalent to the original routing in this case?

Also, one other question. If you fly on a Star Alliance code share, but on United metal, do you get United lifetime miles?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rsherwoo
If you fly on a Star Alliance code share, but on United metal, do you get United lifetime miles?
Yes.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL status lost across the board.
I had to call to get original routing credit when pushed to DL after a mechanical problem. The call was quick and easy and yes, I got both the original and DEQM without any other problem.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Original Routing Credit - Can it be done with email confirmation?

In all of my flying, I have only once had to request routing credit post-flight, and that was back in 2001-2002 getting credit for a trip on SR (in their weird limbo period after bankruptcy) that was actually paper ticketed (memories) because I never did then and still don't remember my AAdvantage number. I think I had some of my BP stubs and combined that with a helpful e-mail from the SR people.

Usually, seeking original routing credit isn't an issue because I've often been rebooked into Y (or C or F) class and the 50% bonus EQMs make the point moot. This trip, I rerouted my BUF-IAD-LAX flights to BUF-ORD-LAX (and indeed, hopped an earlier flight from O'Hare) and am waiting for credit to show up. I was rerouted for a combination of weather on the east coast, an expected delay for my flight out of BUF (I actually got a message from EasyUpdate on that after I was already in LAX), easing rebookings for everyone because of an earlier cancellation and because I wanted to get home before 1 am (original arrival time). The ORD-LAX sector isn't even showing on the e-receipt or My Itineraries, but the BUF-ORD credited as BUF-ORD (no difference from BUF-IAD, as they both hit the 500 mile minimum).

After that long winded explanation, here is the issue: the incredibly kind and efficient agent at BUF (Jessica, a former FA who transferred to ground for quality of life issues and is the typical hard working, ueber sweet Buffalonian CSR) tore up and tossed away my BPs while rebooking me before I could say anything. Will the confirmation e-mail from UA originally confirming my itinerary work to get OR credit?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:07 pm

Just call MP, they usually do it instantly, they can see from your eticket history even though it does not show up for you.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by gomike
Just call MP, they usually do it instantly, they can see from your eticket history even though it does not show up for you.
1K desk or somewhere else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.