Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Years ago, there was a pattern of release award space at begin-of-schedule, some 330+ before travel. That is not longer the default situation. There may be some released at that time and a few weeks later but just as common for airlines to wait to see how the flight is selling versus historical data. Then if sales are falling behind, they may release some seats. If sold seats are on historical trends or better, the likelihood of awards space is less. Some airlines are more sophisticated than others and some like UA for their flights tend to hold onto space until closer to departure.

So in summary, predictable patterns are few and award space is getting harder to find.

Business award space for some routes can be nearly impossible to find and generally is never easy. BUT it can happen with some flexibility and perseverance.

A couple of suggestions for finding space
== Avoid peak travel periods -- seasons, days --- midweek tends to be better than weekends, be flexiable -- fixed dates are a killer
== Look early, look late, look all the time
== Partner space tends to be more available than UA space for international flights
== For those not starting at a hub, first look for "gateway" non-stop space to Europe or Asia. Find the long haul flight possibilities first and then build from there (or separate ticket to the gateway -- with plenty of buffer time)

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

What time (and time zone), how many days out does UA release awards for booking?

Previous Thread -- United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]
Print Wikipost

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:09 pm

Thanks all for the input. I did a trip to Istanbul and Paris in business last year in November and it was very simple. This year, not so much!!

im flying out of ORD and would like to end up either in spain, Italy, or the Balkans. This is not my first rodeo of course, been to many places all over the world and haven’t paid for an overseas flight in over 12 years!!

I did see 4 business flight out of BCN for 90k a piece, perhaps I will snag them!
Old Feb 5, 2023, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
We got our SFO-AMS and CDG-SFO Business Saver awards for June last August. Trying for 4 now????
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 6:27 pm

i actually consider this pretty early for booking a summer trip! Normally I book it a month or two before , always worked out great. I guess the times are changing , but hopefully not
Old Feb 5, 2023, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
We got our SFO-AMS and CDG-SFO Business Saver awards for June last August. Trying for 4 now????
The idea that booking earlier is a determining factor, or that airlines have some set number of award seats they'll allow, is mostly a myth. You simply got lucky. OP would have been approximately equally likely to have found those seats in August as now.

Originally Posted by chriis219
i actually consider this pretty early for booking a summer trip! Normally I book it a month or two before , always worked out great. I guess the times are changing , but hopefully not
If you're flexible enough, it could still work out this year as well. It's the four seats on a single itinerary thing that is really causing you issues.

BTW, your initial assertion that the excursionist perk can be "done later" is perilous. If all of your flights are UA-operated, that might be true (but you'll probably need to book the outbound and return simultaneously). If there are any partner flights, you may need current inventory on those flights when you look to add the ExPerk. You should be prepared to need to pay for your intra-Europe flight(s) separately.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 7:28 pm

I agree about the excursionist perk. I’m going to nail down where I want to go this week, it will help with making the flights easier as I didn’t realize how common these married award flights are.

I really don’t mind a coach seat for 8-10 hours, 16 is a different story haha. We have two kids (1 and 3) so I just want them to sleep all night. Also bringing my mom so that’s the 4th seat
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Does Lufthansa release saver awards for business 30 day before? Also, are the odds better changing flights as I get closer to my travel date?
IME, your best chance of finding business saver awards on LH will be 1 to 5 days prior to departure.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by halls120
IME, your best chance of finding business saver awards on LH will be 1 to 5 days prior to departure.
And that’s the conundrum - a lot of travelers want to have the business seats in hand long before that (instead of redeeming for a lesser cabin and hope something opens). Definitely a reason to book one-way awards.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:02 am

In the summer peak season, it will be very hard to 4 business tickets on the same flight.
I tried to book for 2 business tickets, and so far no luck...(actively searching for months)
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
I agree about the excursionist perk. I’m going to nail down where I want to go this week, it will help with making the flights easier as I didn’t realize how common these married award flights are.

I really don’t mind a coach seat for 8-10 hours, 16 is a different story haha. We have two kids (1 and 3) so I just want them to sleep all night. Also bringing my mom so that’s the 4th seat
Last August I booked 4 biz to Italy on Swiss out of YUL and returning to ORD for early June. Since then I've set up EF alerts and have been manually searching married segments in the hope to move NA orgin to an airport further west, but to no avail. C'est la vie.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by jsloan
The idea that booking earlier is a determining factor, or that airlines have some set number of award seats they'll allow, is mostly a myth. You simply got lucky. OP would have been approximately equally likely to have found those seats in August as now.
While I agree that saver award seat releases are as likely to happen in any month ahead of planned travel except for the final month which is probably the most likely, ignoring seasonal variations, new route introductions & aircraft size changes. There are some other factors to consider: 1.There are typically less people searching for awards further out meaning they stick around for a bit longer. 2. Starting your search earlier maximizes the chances of finding something.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
While I agree that saver award seat releases are as likely to happen in any month ahead of planned travel except for the final month which is probably the most likely
Except during high demand periods, when there may be nothing, or just a single seat here and there.

Overall I agree, and would add that most of my award booking successes have happened well in advance.
escapefromphl and BlueZebra like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I booked my xmas TATL award flights 12/19 --> 1/2 last Friday. For peak demand time you need to book early and as soon as you see seats.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You're booking way too late to expect any award inventory.

Originally Posted by jsloan
The idea that booking earlier is a determining factor, or that airlines have some set number of award seats they'll allow, is mostly a myth.
Not at all. It's extremely rare for airlines to add choice award inventory once it's been snapped up.
BlueZebra and jcturnbull like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 12:43 pm

Programs: Avios
United has very good saver J availability now to LHR but only out of IAD and EWR, You will have to get to those cities on your own dime as connecting cities will cost much more than the 60K they are charging . I booked a few tickets last week
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You're booking way too late to expect any award inventory.

Not at all. It's extremely rare for airlines to add choice award inventory once it's been snapped up.
While I always try to book early when using miles because the chance of finding saver is better, the last two times I booked saver (in 2019 and 2021), I found much cheaper J saver fares inside of 5 days before departure. UA gladly let me exchange my flights and redeposited my miles.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.