Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award ticketing options/service fees
There are no longer any fees for worldwide UA award cancellation or mileage redeposit done pre-travel including UA partner awards

8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**

Originally Posted by United award ticket redeposit fee removal
All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...icketing.html

Archive: UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel
Print Wikipost

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2023, 12:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iceiceui2
Oh gotcha, thanks for the tip. Could I cancel the booking online or do I have to call in for them to trigger the miles re-deposit?
the refund should be automatic after cancelling online. The cash may take a few days. Occasionally you have to call if not refunded to nudge the process.
iceiceui2 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:38 am

I have a one-way international business award booking for April, but would like to change to an earlier flight (same day/same destination) as it is currently showing a very low mileage charge compared to what I initially paid. I know they won't do it for my current flight (too long since booked and savings wouldn't be that great), but will they do it for a flight change on the same day? And if so, do I have to cancel my reservation first or can I simply change the existing reservation in via the app or online with hopes that UA would reinstate the balance of miles saved or should I just call?
Thanks for any assistance.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 385thBG
I have a one-way international business award booking for April, but would like to change to an earlier flight (same day/same destination) as it is currently showing a very low mileage charge compared to what I initially paid. I know they won't do it for my current flight (too long since booked and savings wouldn't be that great), but will they do it for a flight change on the same day? And if so, do I have to cancel my reservation first or can I simply change the existing reservation in via the app or online with hopes that UA would reinstate the balance of miles saved or should I just call?
Thanks for any assistance.
I don't understand your thinking on this part.

If you are seeing a different flight option that works for your schedule, and it has a lower award price, then you should simply book it as a new reservation and cancel your old one to receive a refund (or other order, if your mileage balance isn't high enough). There are no fees.
SPN Lifer and JayhawkCO like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I'm a little unclear on a few things, esp with the new rules. Hoping you all can help. I know I could cancel and re-book but am worried about seats not going back to award inventory either on partner or UA.

1. Can I change a multi-segment award originating in Europe and ending in USA?
2. Segment 1 is partner. Segment 2 (w/ 2 flights) is UA. Any issue there with changing?
3. Can this be done online?
4. Is there no fee for this?

Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'm a little unclear on a few things, esp with the new rules. Hoping you all can help. I know I could cancel and re-book but am worried about seats not going back to award inventory either on partner or UA.

1. Can I change a multi-segment award originating in Europe and ending in USA?
2. Segment 1 is partner. Segment 2 (w/ 2 flights) is UA. Any issue there with changing?
3. Can this be done online?
4. Is there no fee for this?

Thanks!
If you can make the change, there would be no fee. However, UA generally requires there to be fresh inventory on the entire itinerary, including legs you're not trying to change. Also, trying to change just one segment of a multi-segment trip can potentially result in UA re-faring the trip and charging for each leg.

You can try it online, and maybe it'll work -- or maybe you'll end up with no valid ticket. If you do try it, make sure that you get the new ticket number from UA and then compare it to the ticket number that the partner has in their system. They have to match; if the partner has the old ticket number, which does happen sometimes, you need to call and get them to fix it by giving them the new number. Otherwise, you're not going to be able to board, because the painter airline is going to see the ticket as having been cancelled.
SPN Lifer and Happy like this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 11:18 am

I hava a XN award ticket booked but would like to cancel it. Understanding there is no fee for cancelling but is there a cutoff date?
Like can I cancel the ticket the day before the depature without incurring any fees (miles redeposited and surcharge fully refunded)??
Old Feb 13, 2023, 5:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kithytom
I hava a XN award ticket booked but would like to cancel it. Understanding there is no fee for cancelling but is there a cutoff date?
Like can I cancel the ticket the day before the depature without incurring any fees (miles redeposited and surcharge fully refunded)??
yes, day before is free cancellation. Even the day of is fine. allow at least an hour or two before scheduled departure. After the flight has a fee $125.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 10:07 am

Just so I understand: under the new rules I can cancel a partner (in this case Virgin Australia) award ticket up until checkin with no fees/issues? Current itinerary has a close international-to-domestic connection on a different reservation, so want to secure a later flight (7+ hours) as an insurance policy.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by megbert_
Just so I understand: under the new rules I can cancel a partner (in this case Virgin Australia) award ticket up until checkin with no fees/issues? Current itinerary has a close international-to-domestic connection on a different reservation, so want to secure a later flight (7+ hours) as an insurance policy.
Well, fees, no. Issues? Your “insurance policy” is a violation of MP rules, and if they’re involved in the other ticket at all (e.g., it’s also a MP award ticket, or your MileagePlus number is on the reservation), you’re liable to get either one cancelled. It is likely also a violation of VA policy, so if the other ticket includes them, you’re subject to whatever penalties they might want to levy.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Xld 2 Intl award tickets. Mine had refund of taxes, etc back on my CC in about 5 days. DH, same flights, same fees, same amount of miles but on a different pnr had the miles put back in his account but after three weeks and three phone calls I am still being told the CC should be refunded within days and it still has not. Each res agent said it was processed wrong. I xld both online. Do I escalate to customer service?
Old Feb 19, 2023, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
Xld 2 Intl award tickets. Mine had refund of taxes, etc back on my CC in about 5 days. DH, same flights, same fees, same amount of miles but on a different pnr had the miles put back in his account but after three weeks and three phone calls I am still being told the CC should be refunded within days and it still has not. Each res agent said it was processed wrong. I xld both online. Do I escalate to customer service?
I haven't had any issues like this in a while, but when I have I've submitted a request through United.com/refunds, and it's been taken care of within about a week.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cruisr
I have been waiting for a refund for 3 months and only after contacting the DOT ... I received it. That was after several promises it would come through.

Please report this to the DOT as well ... unfortunately, the only way UA will learn.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and cruisr like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I have a partner award (combination TK/LH) that I booked last fall. The system charged my credit card for the fees, but apparently never subtracted the miles from my account. I received a "ticket" receipt and can mail myself a new receipt from the UA website. The UA website shows the partner record locators, but neither LH's nor TK's website can pull up the reservation. So I guess UA thinks it was ticketed, but the partners don't agree.

In any case, I am not planning to fly this trip anymore, and so I need to cancel it to get my taxes/fees back (I obviously don't expect to get any miles back). The UA website tells me I can cancel and use the $60 for a future trip using the record locator. Huh? No refund to the credit card? Should there be multiple options to choose from?

To Future flight credit

Please use confirmation number XXXXXX to return to this canceled reservation in My Trips and make changes for a future trip. Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit unless you qualify for a change fee waiver. Begin travel by: Dec 31, 2023.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
In any case, I am not planning to fly this trip anymore, and so I need to cancel it to get my taxes/fees back (I obviously don't expect to get any miles back). The UA website tells me I can cancel and use the $60 for a future trip using the record locator. Huh? No refund to the credit card? Should there be multiple options to choose from?
There should be an option for a full redeposit (of 0, I guess) and a refund of the taxes. If you're not seeing that, try calling.
SPN Lifer and notquiteaff like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jsloan
There should be an option for a full redeposit (of 0, I guess) and a refund of the taxes. If you're not seeing that, try calling.
I called, and the voice response system offered "Premier Chat". So I used SMS to chat with an agent. They cancelled the reservation and pointed me to united.com/refunds to request a refund.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.