Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why Extra Baggage Allowance "May only be available when you travel on two or more *A"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Extra Baggage Allowance "May only be available when you travel on two or more *A"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question Why Extra Baggage Allowance "May only be available when you travel on two or more *A"

I was looking on https://mystatus.united.com/ to see what happened to my 2017 membership packet. I scrolled down and under *A benefits, it says:

Extra Baggage Allowance

with one additional bag
or an additional 44 pounds (20 kg) (1)

and

(1) May only be available when you travel on two or more Star Alliance member airlines on a single ticket. Please contact the Star Alliance member airline you are using to learn more.

Bolding is mine but I wonder why the "two or more Star Alliance member airlines" part?

Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I think it's poorly worded. They are trying to warn you that this benefit may NT be available if you are on two separate tickets and the second one is for travel on another *A carrier with different rules. While UA may allow your extra bag, the other carrier with a separate ticket may not. If you had a single ticket the bags would sail right through. With two tickets you may need to check in again and the other carrier may wish to charge you for the additional bag.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Some *A partners, such as NZ, have that rule. *G only get an extra bag if the ticket includes another *A partner other than NZ. Seems like they're building weasel room into the alliance benefit agreement to allow more unbundled fares.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wow, that is crazy. I have always thought whether it is 1 or n *A carriers, whether it is 1 or multiple tickets/PNRs, it does not matter.

The *A website has this fine print:
You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS and "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
I definitely learned something new today and it is not even 9AM yet

Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I knew LH didn't offer anything on Lite fares, but I'm glad to know that they do if it's a connecting flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.