Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Detachable Luggage Cart" Tiff w/ FA...Rogue or Rule?

Old Jan 16, 17, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

The item in question is in my hand....not the blonde but the little metal cart.

Basically it folds out and has a telescoping handle and my sister straps the carseat on it so she can pull my nephew around the airport and doesn't have to deal with gate checking the stroller.

Flying on SFO-DEN (Y) DEN-MTJ (Y/F) MTJ-DEN (F) DEN-SFO (F).

On DEN-MTJ she actually carried it on and was behind me and said "The FA said it can't go in the overhead."
I figured they may have glanced as it and it wasn't collapsed or something. So I put it in the overhead bin. On the PA there's a "You have to take that down." At the same time a mechanic(-ish) man was walking up and said "They don't like those in the overhead bins because they may fly out and hit someone."
...vs a suitcase that probably weighs 30# and is put in the wrong way?
So I put it under my feet and it sticks out a little. The FA comes by and says "That can't go there."
...but you just told me to put it there (I may have been poking the coals at this point).
"You'll have to gate check it." This small, flat cart. I said sorry no one on our previous flight mentioned it.
"Well they're new."
At this time the GA came on and gave me my CPU upgrade. Once I was moving to F the FA said "Okay you can put it behind the last row of first class" (A319).

On the flights home no one said anything in the overhead and on DEN-SFO the FA actually opened the closed bin for me as I had it in one hand and was reaching for the latch.

We're going to be flying SFO-HNL-SFO and SFO-PDX-SFO but I figured this FA was just in a mood. I'll probably also try to book the 777s for HNL so she doesn't even need to bring the carseat for him.

Not the end of the world but tired of reading threads crying about no more shoddy 747s flying or people not asking for a PDB and getting upset about not getting one.
Old Jan 16, 17, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Were you on mainline or express for DEN-MTJ?
Old Jan 16, 17, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
I have the exact same little dolly/cart and have never had a problem from anyone carrying it on.
Old Jan 16, 17, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Were you on mainline or express for DEN-MTJ?
Everything was mainline. Originally we were UAX SFO-MTJ E175 F but flight was canceled. Similarly some of the DEN-MTJ flights have been upgraded to mainline A319s.

Originally Posted by Lawyerneering View Post
I have the exact same little dolly/cart and have never had a problem from anyone carrying it on.
Thanks for the response. I would have just chalked it up to the FA but when the mechanic/rampy guy was walking up from the back and mentioned it as my sister and I were talking and the FA came on the PA I thought that maybe the first flight was the outlier.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 16, 17 at 11:48 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 16, 17, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Many years ago I had a collapsible cart that I used to lug trade show stuff around and was told it wasn't allowed in the overhead. I also recall the safety announcements would sometimes reference detachable luggage carts not being allowed.

This was years ago pre-merger however, and haven't heard anything like it since.
Old Jan 16, 17, 10:07 pm

How'd you take that photo, if I might ask?
Old Jan 16, 17, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
How'd you take that photo, if I might ask?
Our Dad.
Old Jan 16, 17, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by mrswirl View Post
Many years ago I had a collapsible cart that I used to lug trade show stuff around and was told it wasn't allowed in the overhead. I also recall the safety announcements would sometimes reference detachable luggage carts not being allowed.

This was years ago pre-merger however, and haven't heard anything like it since.
I recall the announcement used to say, "detachable luggage carts, also known as 'wheelies' can not go in the overhead bins."

Haven't heard that in years. But I also haven't seen one in years, as most people have rolling luggage.

The rule is probably still in the books. And the seniors FA's are probably more aware of it than newer ones.
Old Jan 16, 17, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
Yeah, but these things are probably 1/4 the size of the old "detachable luggage carts" and fold down to nothing.
Old Jan 16, 17, 11:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Lawyerneering View Post
Yeah, but these things are probably 1/4 the size of the old "detachable luggage carts" and fold down to nothing.
Nevertheless that is what it is and they are not allowed in the OHBs because of their tendency to fall out upon opening the bins. Which I have seen happen in the past.

These are sort of uncommon nowadays and the announcement is irregularly made. So no go in the OHB. OK under the seat if it does not stick out.
Old Jan 17, 17, 12:21 am

Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Interesting... We have that exact same childseat cart and I have put it in the overhead several times. In fact, that's even how they advertise it to be stored on board, if I recall..

https://www.amazon.com/Britax-Seat-T.../dp/B005CNEQK0
Old Jan 17, 17, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Nevertheless that is what it is and they are not allowed in the OHBs because of their tendency to fall out upon opening the bins. Which I have seen happen in the past.

These are sort of uncommon nowadays and the announcement is irregularly made. So no go in the OHB. OK under the seat if it does not stick out.
That is my understanding as well. I have seen it enforced by FAs not too long ago.
Old Jan 17, 17, 2:16 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I was just on a Hawaiian airlines flight a few months ago where this couple was almost kicked off because the FA's would not let them stow their collapsible cart in the overhead bin and they created such a fuss about it.
Old Jan 17, 17, 7:16 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I've been on some of the regional gets where they have a "Ze wheels are verboten!" policy. Anything with wheels is relegated to the cargohold, even if it fits in the overhead. This happening to me 2-3 times in a single month was what made me to switch to wheel-less onebagging. Bought my first RedOxx bag shortly after my encounter.
Old Jan 17, 17, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM (soon to be Gold), Hertz PC
I could imagine those carts fell out of the OH just one too many times, so those FA's that this happened to enforce this rule. Seems reasonable.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: