Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Inconsiderate users of United Clubs-loud phone call/speakerphone, watching videos..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inconsiderate users of United Clubs-loud phone call/speakerphone, watching videos..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:31 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I like when they mention a customer and something about pricing. When the call is over I say "Hey, I have a friend at xxxxx, and I called to let them know that your position on the negotiation is yyyyy." It might not do me much direct good, but I suspect that it helps a lot of other potential victims in the future.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Someone ought to start a Youtube channel with videos of people behaving badly in United Clubs.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
This. x1000

I should also add that you should be respectful of your colleagues on the phone and not be sharing sensitive details. I've listened to more than one conversation over the years that I had no business hearing, but since the speaker was using absolutely no discretion, half of the UC was privy to sensitive proprietary information.
On another thread discussing overly loud business calls in the lounge, someone very clever suggested passing the loud caller a note saying:
You don't know who I am
You don't know where I work
You don't know who I know.
I thought that was very good and printed some up.
It's worked every time.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
On another thread discussing overly loud business calls in the lounge, someone very clever suggested passing the loud caller a note saying:
You don't know who I am
It's worked every time.
I was in the lounge (SMALL lounge) in SAV where some guy was practically screaming on phone about his new marijuana farm/project in CO or OR. He was trying to recruit investors. I wish I had your note!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
I am sure there are other threads on this subject, but my "funniest situation" was in the Frankfurt lounge listening to a guy speaking to his office presenting all the wage rises and bonuses in his department, very loudly. He ignored my polite finger to the mouth, gesticulating he was speaking loudly, so I started to copy the data down, names, departments, wage rises, bonus... handed him the piece of paper at which time he terminated the call.

I thought I was going to get an apology, instead he laid into me accusing me of listening to a "private conversation"... I had already clocked his name and company, from his bag label and very politely suggested he made his private call in private unless he wanted an email to go to his board of directors about breach of privacy.

What amazes me about the inconsiderate loud phone calls, is not that they are being made, but the confidential and personal nature of some of the conversations being overheard...

Earlier in the thread, a poster said it is sometime "unavoidable to make conference calls in a lounge". I agree, it is... but for goodness sake, not just for your fellow guests, but also for the sake of what you are talking about...
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
You don't know who I am
It's worked every time.
The problem is people have become used to being able to take calls any time any place instead of telling their boss/colleagues "sorry, I am in public right now and can't discuss <confidential/proprietary matter> with you".
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I think half the people or more can avoid conference calls in the lounge, but either don't care about others, or want to sound important. The cubicles for laptops etc.... never seem to be used for this purpose.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:55 pm

I actually thought about the trove of business insider info that one can gain while hanging at lounges. Someone more industrious must be already quietly listening and taking notes.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Premier Owl
I am sure there are other threads on this subject, but my "funniest situation" was in the Frankfurt lounge listening to a guy speaking to his office presenting all the wage rises and bonuses in his department, very loudly. He ignored my polite finger to the mouth, gesticulating he was speaking loudly, so I started to copy the data down, names, departments, wage rises, bonus... handed him the piece of paper at which time he terminated the call.

I thought I was going to get an apology, instead he laid into me accusing me of listening to a "private conversation"... I had already clocked his name and company, from his bag label and very politely suggested he made his private call in private unless he wanted an email to go to his board of directors about breach of privacy.

What amazes me about the inconsiderate loud phone calls, is not that they are being made, but the confidential and personal nature of some of the conversations being overheard...

Earlier in the thread, a poster said it is sometime "unavoidable to make conference calls in a lounge". I agree, it is... but for goodness sake, not just for your fellow guests, but also for the sake of what you are talking about...
In the case of being accused of eavesdropping, if I had been able to determine what company he was working for, I would have introduced myself. "Hi, I'm Rick, I work for [name their major competitor]. Sorry couldn't help but overhear your conversation. Very interesting stuff...have a great trip."
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
The issue is Rick, I was / you would NOT be eavesdropping. I had no choice but to listen....

The worst worst case was the guy who cam to a corner of a lounge where I was sitting peacefully, reading the newspaper and he inisited on standing right next to wear I was sitting and continued a very loud conversation into his phone. It is the only time I have stood up and faced him and TOLD him to please move away... he did.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
As you handed him the note, you should have asked whether you'd spelled the name of Ms. Hauptmann in accounting right.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
You don't know who I am
Epic. (But isn't it "whom I know"?)

I was in the cubicle farm in the D8 lounge at IAD and there was a fellow bellowing into his phone. He was apparently the victim of identity theft and was trying to straighten everything out. I heard his name, his address his birthdate, his SSN, a bunch of credit card numbers, his mother's maiden name, and so on. At one point he said "I don't understand how this could have happened!"

In my fantasies, I would say "I do" and then the rest of the lounge would say "we all do".
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The issue is Rick, I was / you would NOT be eavesdropping. I had no choice but to listen....

The worst worst case was the guy who cam to a corner of a lounge where I was sitting peacefully, reading the newspaper and he inisited on standing right next to wear I was sitting and continued a very loud conversation into his phone. It is the only time I have stood up and faced him and TOLD him to please move away... he did.
That's why I said "accused." As the story made clear, the guy's talking loudly in public but considered it eavesdropping and gave you stick when you tried to let him know he's being overheard. That guy is seriously self-absorbed.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
They want to be overheard. That's it. Sadly it is the world we live in these days.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
They want to be overheard. That's it. Sadly it is the world we live in these days.
They want to be more important than they actually are. So loud voices make them seem important (to themselves). Do they walk around the room--also a sign of seeming self importance?

If they speak loudly and complain when you ask them to lower their voices ask them why they need to speak so loudly so that you can hear their conversations. Or you can ask if the person they are calling is hearing impaired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.