Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Inconsiderate users of United Clubs-loud phone call/speakerphone, watching videos..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inconsiderate users of United Clubs-loud phone call/speakerphone, watching videos..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M FTL, MP 1K, Global entry.

From me.

To any of my fellow flyer talkers who may have been in earshot and heard me yelling loudly into my phone.

Yesterday, during my RUH>FRA>ORD>MSY trip I was in the ORD C16 lounge trying to nap while waiting on my last leg. Unfortunately for me, this is when some inconsiderate fellow decided to sit next to me and have a nice loud phone conversation. After being awakened over and over by mr. Charming, I had enough. First I tried staring at him to make the point. Didn't work. So I pulled out my trusty iPhone and made a call to a friend, as loud as I possibly talk without actually screaming. During my call I discussed my new neighbor and how big a [jerk] he was.

Then I watched mr couth steal four bananas and about a pound of cheese&crackers. A guy who can afford an iPhone and a mini iPad stealing fruit and crackers fom the club. I think this guy IS an over entitled elite.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 1, 2014 at 7:30 am Reason: Profanity removed
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
IMO every United Club should have a quiet area so the loud talking DYKWIA types can enjoy each others company somewhere other than where I am.

SunLover
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Biginch
Then I watched mr couth steal four bananas and about a pound of cheese&crackers. A guy who can afford an iPhone and a mini iPad stealing fruit and crackers fom the club. I think this guy IS an over entitled elite.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you want to. I can afford a lot of things, but I would rather get it for free. But I will commonly grab two crackers and two things of cheese and carrots for flights that don't have a meal.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

Sometimes people like the sound of their own voice too much.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
PERHAPS YOU SHOULD HAVE WRITTEN YOUR APOLOGY IN ALL CAPS SO MR DYKWIA HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING THE MESSAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (not bloody likely)

Last edited by kirkwoodj; Aug 1, 2014 at 7:06 am Reason: added !'s...
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Guy in JFK United club yesterday watching videos on his IPAD at full (external speaker) volume. Perhaps SMI,J needs to consider ERJ-145 service to Siberia for these criminals.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M FTL, MP 1K, Global entry.
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
Guy in JFK United club yesterday watching videos on his IPAD at full (external speaker) volume. Perhaps SMI,J needs to consider ERJ-145 service to Siberia for these criminals.
Equipped with the Lufthansa bicycle seats.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
Nah, that deserves a direct flight (with 7 technical stops) on a CR2.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:29 am

The ORD C16 lounge has a quiet room, were you in there or the general lounge area? Plenty of times I've pointed to the no cell phone sign when someone comes in and starts their self important yapping.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SunLover
IMO every United Club should have a quiet area so the loud talking DYKWIA types can enjoy each others company somewhere other than where I am.

SunLover
This would be a change I would like. Lufthansa Senator lounges have small phone enclosures, and the staff seem to be pretty good about asking people to use them if they spot someone on the phone.

I could have used one on Monday morning when there was a guy having a Skype call with his kids -- sans headphones -- on the top floor of the Terminal E lounge at IAH.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:39 am

I thought people made phone calls in "Phone Booths"!

Perhaps that was in another life???
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
OP, if it bothered you so much why not just tap him on the shoulder and tell him to lower his voice? Why the passive aggressive shenanigans?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by LilAbner
I thought people made phone calls in "Phone Booths"!

Perhaps that was in another life???
I think you are being sarcastic...but I hope you are not.

It would be very handy to have a spot where I can make phone calls without all and sundry hearing. For example, there is no need to discuss customer issues with everybody at the gate. Is there such a beast?

Thanks

PS Sorry I am humor impaired today...
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by NJFlyer42
I think you are being sarcastic...but I hope you are not.

It would be very handy to have a spot where I can make phone calls without all and sundry hearing. For example, there is no need to discuss customer issues with everybody at the gate. Is there such a beast?

Thanks

PS Sorry I am humor impaired today...
O.K. here ya go ---
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
Lufthansa Senator lounges have small phone enclosures, and the staff seem to be pretty good about asking people to use them if they spot someone on the phone.
That does not deter the self-important jackasses who feel they must stride about while bellowing into their devices (witnessed this 3 times in 3 hours at the Lufthansa F lounge in Munich last week)

I could have used one on Monday morning when there was a guy having a Skype call with his kids -- sans headphones -- on the top floor of the Terminal E lounge at IAH.
Skype & FaceTime have become the bane of my travel existence--I see this happening more and more in lounges and on planes before takeoff. It's like people feel that because they are on a video call they are somehow exempt from common courtesy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.