Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by warrenw
Hi guys,

I'm booked in P and waitlisted with miles + cash for first, UA892 ICN-SFO on Thursday.

I called the 1K desk and they said they show 3 seats available, both their seatmap and expertflyer show 8 seats available. Either way F3 suggests of course 1K desk is correct.

F3FN3A3ON0O0J2JN2C2D1Z0ZN0P0PN0R0RN0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9 E9U9H9HN9Q9V9W9S9T9L9K9G9N9XN9X9

What do you think my chances are?
J is overbooked by 5 - the count for GF is 4 (+5 blocked)/12.

I'd give you about 99.9% odds of clearing a supported upgrade, and a half-decent shot at an op-up.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by findark

I'd give you about 99.9% odds of clearing a supported upgrade, and a half-decent shot at an op-up.
Thanks!!

Any idea on when the upgrade could/would clear?

Also, how can you tell J is overbooked by 5?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s actually gone to F1 FN1 A1 ON0 J0 Y9 now, with 6 booked in GF. I agree with findark here; I doubt that there are five other people with waitlisted upgrades and higher status, and when I’ve seen J->F TPAC HODs, they’ve been in the $1500 range, so I doubt you’ll have many people poaching those either.

I did use miles + copay to upgrade on the 747 once, to sit with my wife (O, ON > 0; I, R = 0). In general, though, I’m not convinced it’s worth $600 plus the miles. If you have a seat on the upper deck, and unless you’re traveling with a companion already in F, I’d be quite tempted to pull the instrument and just take the op-up if it should happen. (Of course, this assumes that they didn’t just clear your upgrade, which I half thought might have been the case until I saw your reply.

Thanks!!

Any idea on when the upgrade could/would clear?

Also, how can you tell J is overbooked by 5?
The flight status page — access via http://cablepick.net/united — shows 6 booked in F, but they’re only selling one seat. Ergo, 5 are blocked for upgrade purposes.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
It’s actually gone to F1 FN1 A1 ON0 J0 Y9 now, with 6 booked in GF. I agree with findark here; I doubt that there are five other people with waitlisted upgrades and higher status, and when I’ve seen J->F TPAC HODs, they’ve been in the $1500 range, so I doubt you’ll have many people poaching those either.

I did use miles + copay to upgrade on the 747 once, to sit with my wife (O, ON > 0; I, R = 0). In general, though, I’m not convinced it’s worth $600 plus the miles. If you have a seat on the upper deck, and unless you’re traveling with a companion already in F, I’d be quite tempted to pull the instrument and just take the op-up if it should happen. (Of course, this assumes that they didn’t just clear your upgrade, which I half thought might have been the case until I saw your reply.

The flight status page — access via http://cablepick.net/united — shows 6 booked in F, but they’re only selling one seat. Ergo, 5 are blocked for upgrade purposes.
Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that one before!

Normally you would be right, it's a total waste of $ + miles especially since I'm already booked in biz upstairs. However it's my last 747 flight and I wanted to make it special. 1K is open, I hope I clear soon so I can snag it before someone else takes it.

And thanks for the explanation, I'll use that info + link in the future!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm thinking about biting the bullet on a Miles upgrade for ORD-IAH on Nov 18th in a 763 which can immediately clear, but I kinda want to see my chances for a CPU as a Premier Gold on a W fare. The upfare to P is just $136 by the way (at least for me flying from CVG).

F9A9JN9C9D9Z9ZN9P9PN9R5RN5IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H9HN9Q9V9W9S9T9L9K9G0N9XN0X0
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by InterPlace55
I'm thinking about biting the bullet on a Miles upgrade for ORD-IAH on Nov 18th in a 763 which can immediately clear, but I kinda want to see my chances for a CPU as a Premier Gold on a W fare. The upfare to P is just $136 by the way (at least for me flying from CVG).

Why not pay for the $136 upfare for the 200% PQM as well?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Why not pay for the $136 upfare for the 200% PQM as well?
I already did some calculations on that. I'll be making Premier Plat already since I'll be taking SQ to Singapore and back and crediting said miles to United which will get me over the hump for Plat.

Have the credit card waiver to my name and there's no way I'm going to earn enough PQD for 1K
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I already did some calculations on that.
You'd rather burn 17,500 miles than spend $136?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
You'd rather burn 17,500 miles than spend $136?
I'd rather wait for the CPU to clear, but seeing that it is a hub to hub on a weekend before a holiday, I may bite and do the up fare.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that one before!

Normally you would be right, it's a total waste of $ + miles especially since I'm already booked in biz upstairs. However it's my last 747 flight and I wanted to make it special. 1K is open, I hope I clear soon so I can snag it before someone else takes it.

And thanks for the explanation, I'll use that info + link in the future!
Was going to say, I think we got you to try GF earlier this year, and you know the distinction. I agree with jsloan about staying on the upper deck, but it's true that you'll never be able to do 1K on a UA 747 again With the fact they went to F1 already, I'm going to guess that they won't clear more upgrades until roughly at the gate, but their policy on pre-emptive upgrades to correct oversells has been very inconsistent lately.

Good luck!

It's way too early to guess CPU odds, but given current loads I'd say CPU odds as a Gold are poor - I'm actually mildly surprised to see R space. I would take the $136 upfare in a heartbeat and be done with it.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:58 pm

Was going to say, I think we got you to try GF earlier this year, and you know the distinction. I agree with jsloan about staying on the upper deck, but it's true that you'll never be able to do 1K on a UA 747 again With the fact they went to F1 already, I'm going to guess that they won't clear more upgrades until roughly at the gate, but their policy on pre-emptive upgrades to correct oversells has been very inconsistent lately.

Good luck!
Yup that's me! It was an awesome experience.

With that said I'll be pretty peeved if they don't clear until the gate because then I won't get the first class lounge. If I'm paying for the upgrade I want the whole experience. I also wanted to clear earlier so I could make sure I get a good seat, the last thing I want is to get stuck with one of those middle seats after paying for the upgrade...
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Yup that's me! It was an awesome experience.

With that said I'll be pretty peeved if they don't clear until the gate because then I won't get the first class lounge. If I'm paying for the upgrade I want the whole experience. I also wanted to clear earlier so I could make sure I get a good seat, the last thing I want is to get stuck with one of those middle seats after paying for the upgrade...
Obviously YMMV, but a friendly UA agent may well be able to push the UG through ahead of boarding. (Seen it happen before when people are WLd already and it's obvious to UA the UG has to happen, ex. b/c there are more blocked seats in F than people on the F WL.) I don't know if ICN has UA staffers at the *A lounges, but they'd be the best bet presuming you can't just go to the gate.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by sfo789
Obviously YMMV, but a friendly UA agent may well be able to push the UG through ahead of boarding. (Seen it happen before when people are WLd already and it's obvious to UA the UG has to happen, ex. b/c there are more blocked seats in F than people on the F WL.) I don't know if ICN has UA staffers at the *A lounges, but they'd be the best bet presuming you can't just go to the gate.
They don't, the best I can do is the ticket counter for UA staff but even then they are contract employees.

Is there any way for a phone agent to do it?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
They don't, the best I can do is the ticket counter for UA staff but even then they are contract employees.

Is there any way for a phone agent to do it?
You'd be the luckiest person in the world if you could get a phone agent to force it. Maybe a GS agent on a truly excellent day?

Gate agent looks to be your best hope.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by sfo789
You'd be the luckiest person in the world if you could get a phone agent to force it. Maybe a GS agent on a truly excellent day?

Gate agent looks to be your best hope.
Available fare classes has changed to:
F1FN1A1ON1O0J0JN0C0D0Z0ZN0P0PN0R0RN0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9 E9U9H9HN9Q9V9W9S9T9L9K9G9N9XN9X9

So I called United and the phone agent confirmed me into first, seat 1K.

I'm a happy camper!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.