Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
The availability, or lack thereof, of award seats isn't really relevant.

Either you get an agent who will move you for free, in which case they can open award seats, or you don't, in which case they're going to charge you a change fee that I'm sure you'd rather not pay.

UA reserves the right to give your seat away 30 minutes prior to departure for an international flight.

I agree with you; I would not risk a sub-one hour connection at ORD. (I probably wouldn't have booked the original itinerary, to be perfectly honest).
If they want to charge me, do I hang up and keep calling back until I get a helpful agent?

The only reason I booked the original itinerary was because that was all that was available. The earlier MCI-ORD flight did not have award space. I took what I could get at the time. Most times, you cannot choose the ideal flight times for award tickets. UA never makes them available, mostly lousy connections. This has been my experience over the past 20 years.

Last edited by susiesan; Jun 30, 2019 at 2:42 pm
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

UA reserves the right to give your seat away 30 minutes prior to departure for an international flight.

So unless UA will change us to the earlier MCI-ORD flight there is no possible way we will make UA 881 in 18 minutes. I may be stuck paying 2 change fees, $300, because UA made an impossible schedule change. That seems unfair.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2019 at 3:07 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Yes. HUCA if the first agent won't accommodate. While you're technically within the MCT, someone should accommodate this request without fee.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam
Yes. HUCA if the first agent won't accommodate. While you're technically within the MCT, someone should accommodate this request without fee.
I'll wait until tomorrow and give it a try. Hopefully I can get the change made at no charge with the first phone call, if I can get through on the phone. Knowing UA will give our seats away through no fault of ours should ensure that they will make the change for us. How can they even book a connection so close if they can just give your seats away 30 minutes before takeoff when you could have never made the international flight in the first place? How often do they do this, especially if they know you are on your way and are running late due to a UA problem?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
So unless UA will change us to the earlier MCI-ORD flight there is no possible way we will make UA 881 in 18 minutes. I may be stuck paying 2 change fees, $300, because UA made an impossible schedule change. That seems unfair.
It is actually quite possible to make it from your arrival gate to your boarding gate in ORD in 18 minutes. The gates could be right next to each other, and even if you have to go from B to C gates, you'll be among the first off the plane from MCI and it's rarely more than a 10 minute walk. However, the slightest delay in your inbound flight will cause you to misconnect, and you are right to question whether you should risk such a tight connection to an international flight -- especially if you have another connecting flight afterwards.

I agree with the others -- wait a few days until United isn't so busy, and then call and politely ask to be moved to the earlier MCI flight since the connection time in ORD is so short due to the schedule change. They don't have to move you, but most agents will without any hesitation. It doesn't matter whether there are award seats available on the earlier flight or not. If you meet any resistance, don't argue (you don't want the agent putting a note on your file); just thank the agent for their time, hang up, and try again. I usually book my flight months in advance and so I often have to deal with schedule changes. I've never had any pushback from United in a situation like yours.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I had no idea UA was having problems today, there is nothing on the web site to indicate it.
While not on the home page, the operations status is readily available
such as, https://jetstream.united.com/#/public-landing
or better
https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

First talk to UA before concluding the worst -- This is a change the will mostly not be a problemIf you have any issue, then return here for more suggestions

I'll wait until tomorrow and give it a try. Hopefully I can get the change made at no charge with the first phone call, if I can get through on the phone. Knowing UA will give our seats away through no fault of ours should ensure that they will make the change for us. How can they even book a connection so close if they can just give your seats away 30 minutes before takeoff when you could have never made the international flight in the first place? How often do they do this, especially if they know you are on your way and are running late due to a UA problem?
While this can happen, most gate agents will check on the status of the late passenger and wait till closer to 15 minutes before departure. If the passenger is not yet in the airport, then they will pull the trigger at 30 minutes

However best not to be in that situation and give UA a chance to address it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2019 at 3:29 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While this can happen, most gate agents will check on the status of the late passenger and wait till closer to 15 minutes before departure. If the passenger is not yet in the airport, then they will pull the trigger at 30 minutes
While this is true, keep in mind that the reason that the cutoff is 30 minutes for an international flight is the need for positive passenger bag match. If they have decided that OP has abandoned the flight, they need to pull the bags off.

And, if there is an upgrade list, there's a good chance that the person at the top of the list knows who they are and will be asking the gate agent if there are any no-shows likely in J.

I'm confident that UA will adjust to the earlier MCI departure within the first couple of agents called. Just say "It was already tight when I booked it, but now I'm worried that I'll miss the flight, especially if we end up arriving in a different terminal or something. Is there any chance you could move me to the earlier departure out of MCI?"
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Recommendation is to change to earlier time

I was in a similar situation recently and I recommend that you change to the earlier time. Having this uncertainty at the beginning of the trip is not worth it. Enjoy the Polaris Lounge!
( My situation was that I had a 45m connection in VIE from Italy and our plane in Italy sat on the runway for 45m due to traffic in VIE. The good news is that we gained 15m in the air and by running through the airport I made the connection to TLV. In hindsight my husband said it was not worth the stress on the first flight. You need to input the uncertainty of a delayed flight.)

As the final destination is Fukuoka, if we miss this flight to Tokyo we will miss the NRT-FUK flight on ANA, last of the day. The next flight to Tokyo and Fukuoka would be the next day so my plans would be all messed up. There may not be J award seats available. We would also have our hotel cancelled as a no show and there are no rooms available in Fukuoka Oct. 1 as World Cup Rugby is going on and everything is booked. I made the hotel reservation 6 months ago to secure space. Plus, we may not have luggage for a few days.

I know the trip is not for 3 months but there are award seats available on the earlier flight today so I want to take care of this as soon as possible. 2 days from now those seats could be gone and UA may just say tough luck. I do not have stats with UA so I don't expect them to do me any favors. I don't want to start a vacation with the stress of missing a flight and having to rearrange plans at the last minute. UA has done this to me before and yes, it is incredibly stressful.

If UA 881 is fully boarded by the time the MCI flight lands and we run to the gate and we aren't onboard 10 minutes before takeoff, don't they give away our seats? Would they hold the plane for us?

I had no idea UA was having problems today, there is nothing on the web site to indicate it.

I sure hope they do. I booked these flights way back in November to be sure to get the exact flights and times I wanted and it had all worked out perfectly until thee schedule change. I have no stars with UA so I don't know how accommodating they will be.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:20 am

Thumbs up success at changing at no charge

Originally Posted by greene
I was in a similar situation recently and I recommend that you change to the earlier time. Having this uncertainty at the beginning of the trip is not worth it. Enjoy the Polaris Lounge!
( My situation was that I had a 45m connection in VIE from Italy and our plane in Italy sat on the runway for 45m due to traffic in VIE. The good news is that we gained 15m in the air and by running through the airport I made the connection to TLV. In hindsight my husband said it was not worth the stress on the first flight. You need to input the uncertainty of a delayed flight.)
After being on hold 20 minutes, a very helpful man got the flight changed to the earlier one, giving us 2 hours 20 minutes to enjoy the Polaris lounge before flying to Japan. There was no charge. All iss well now with my vacation, until the next schedule change
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I tend to book flights 3-6 months in advance, which usually results in some (usually) minor schedule change. United is very consistent about emailing me schedule change notifications. I booked a Thanksgiving flight about 6 weeks ago, and yesterday I happened to notice in the app that UA had changed my return flight. They actually put me on the flight I originally wanted to take, but didn't because it was much more expensive than the flight I ended up booking (which is now no longer on the schedule). I did not receive an email notification for this schedule change.

This is the first time I can ever recall not getting an email notification from UA. I'm curious if this was a one-off/temporary glitch, or if UA's schedule change notification system is broken.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by SS255
I tend to book flights 3-6 months in advance, which usually results in some (usually) minor schedule change. United is very consistent about emailing me schedule change notifications. I booked a Thanksgiving flight about 6 weeks ago, and yesterday I happened to notice in the app that UA had changed my return flight. They actually put me on the flight I originally wanted to take, but didn't because it was much more expensive than the flight I ended up booking (which is now no longer on the schedule). I did not receive an email notification for this schedule change.

This is the first time I can ever recall not getting an email notification from UA. I'm curious if this was a one-off/temporary glitch, or if UA's schedule change notification system is broken.
Your experience re: getting an email notification for schedule changes is the exception rather than the rule based on my experience. I almost never get an email. I do my normal Saturday morning review of all my reservations to look for the "red banner" telling me of a change and proceed accordingly.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Your experience re: getting an email notification for schedule changes is the exception rather than the rule based on my experience. I almost never get an email. I do my normal Saturday morning review of all my reservations to look for the "red banner" telling me of a change and proceed accordingly.
Good to know. I wonder what made me "special" that I would inevitably receive at least one schedule change notification per reservation with the change(s) called out?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:23 pm

Cancelled flight. Can I change/get hotel room?

I was booked on the UA flight from Iah to Mco that leaves at 7:30 am on August 21. And then they cancelled the flight and put me on the next flight at 10 am. Except I need to be in Orlando before 1:30(my new arrival time).

I know now that United can change my flight for me for no charge but I am wondering if I can change my flight to the day ahead of time and then they pay for my hotel. They are the ones that cancelled my flight and they didn’t even notify me.

So will United pay for my hotel because of their cancellation? Or do I just have to get to Mco late?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
You could probably change to the night before, But because this is a schedule changes this far in advance... I really don't see UA getting you a hotel.

Another option would be to not accept the schedule change, and book with someone else. A quick check shows several WN flights that get you there well before 1:30
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
No is the short answer. If you don't like the new arrival time you can ask for a refund of the ticket and book with someone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.