Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by aero0729
If people stop purchasing the TODs, then we can go back to getting free upgrades. First Class is worth free and not much more...who pays $150 for 2 hours in a domestic first seat?
When your checking 2 bags and don't have a UA CC or any free bag status that alone is 1/2 way to $150, throw in a few drinks and space to do work for 2 billable hours your basically even... And in the event of IRROPS where your on the tarmac an extra hour it really helps out... While I do agree the new J sucks, with the not so nice new seats, and the removal of the TV's HOWEVER if your on a 75 or 76 (I.E. EWR-MCO) it's worth every penny...
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
If people stop purchasing the TODs, then we can go back to getting free upgrades. First Class is worth free and not much more...who pays $150 for 2 hours in a domestic first seat?
People who value the seat more than you do?

If you don't value the seat that much why are you upset about not sitting in it?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I thought TOD's were reserved for upgrades under $100?

Regardless, I don't bite on 2 hour flights, but I love the concept of buy-ups, if I'm 7 on the waitlist with 1-2 seats available on HNL-SFO or vice versa, I definitely jump the queue for a lie-flat - usually in the $300 range. I like that I have the option. There are plenty of us that think buy-ups were one of the best things they've implemented.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
lol so now those of who purchase F tix are responsible for OP not getting upgraded. I am not apologizing
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Someone who can afford it and doesn't want to sit in a seat that doesn't recline or next to a sumo wrestler who spans 20 inches wide in a seat that's only 18 inches wide.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I could have been Global Services, what the different. They leave the entire upgrade list not upgraded. I was #1 , I couldn't have had more priority.
A couple of months ago, you probably would have seen that there were 6 people with cleared upgrades when you were first on the list. They changed the process to be much less transparent; it’s now basically impossible to know how many customers were upgraded on any given flight.

There’s a good chance you would have been able to force through an upgrade on a couple of the flights you mention if you were Global Services.

Also, if you are regularly finding yourself in full-fare or near-full-fare tickets (booking classes M, B, or Y); as a 1K, you are eligible for an instant upgrade into PN class if it is available, but I believe you need to go into your reservation after it tickets and “request” the instant upgrade. Now, if PN = 0, that’s not going to help you much, but I thought I should mention it.

The CPU process is a leftover from the time when organic F sales were minuscule. There does seem to be a market for these tickets at the discounted prices they’re offering, though. If I didn’t have status, there’s a good chance I’d be buying F domestically, since the differential between E+ and F is often not that large.

Unfortunately, last-minute travelers definitely get caught up in the mix here. On flights when UA will clear upgrades in advance — which isn’t all of them, but which does happen — it can lead to higher-status, late-purchasing passengers sitting in Y while lower-status passengers sit in F. I’m not sure why they do it that way, but it’s been going on for years and UA hasn’t done anything about it, so it’s obviously not much of a priority for them.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Someone who can afford it and doesn't want to sit in a seat that doesn't recline or next to a sumo wrestler who spans 20 inches wide in a seat that's only 18 inches wide.
Exactly. We don't buy up to domestic F for the quality of the product, we buy out of domestic Y to escape the cattle car.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I could have been Global Services, what the different. They leave the entire upgrade list not upgraded. I was #1 , I couldn't have had more priority.
If you can get Global Services you should do it and you’d have less reason to complain. I’m 100% for CPUs this year out of SFO (except for 2 midcon segments where I used an instrument to ensure the upgrade). I ended up giving away all my RPUs this year to family/friends.

And yes if I get to the airport early I will take advantage and SDC to an earlier flight and so it may look like a TOD.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

If you can get Global Services you should do it and you’d have less reason to complain. I’m 100% for CPUs this year out of SFO (except for 2 midcon segments where I used an instrument to ensure the upgrade). I ended up giving away all my RPUs this year to family/friends.

And yes if I get to the airport early I will take advantage and SDC to an earlier flight and so it may look like a TOD.
GS with 100% CPUs this year out of SFO this year!! Need I say more. As a 1K I can't even remember the last CPU! I basically apply instruments to ALL my flights and still only rarely clear those. I as well gift most mine away or should I say attempt to. I ate at least 10 GPUs last year and will probably have nearly the same this year. Although I did have a run of instrument upgrades go through earlier in the year to Hawaii during the volcano/hurricane when no one was heading over to the Islands and flights were empty.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by nomad420
GS with 100% CPUs this year out of SFO this year!! Need I say more. As a 1K I can't even remember the last CPU! I basically apply instruments to ALL my flights and still only rarely clear those. I as well gift most mine away or should I say attempt to. I ate at least 10 GPUs last year and will probably have nearly the same this year. Although I did have a run of instrument upgrades go through earlier in the year to Hawaii during the volcano/hurricane when no one was heading over to the Islands and flights were empty.
Didn’t you previously say that you deliberately chose to book some segments on LH either last year or the year before? And I recall you were pretty close.

Luckily UA flies direct to pretty much everywhere I need to go so I don’t have to go out of my way to consolidate spend.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Booked a one-way AKL-EWR as AKL-SFO-EWR in W with a GPU applied.
Was offered Business for $1400 for the AKL-SFO segment and $2900 for the SFO-EWR segment.
And apparently the SFO-EWR segment is Polaris, the AKL-SFO one isn't? Okay!

Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
I paid $184 to upgrade DFW-EWR, a 3 hour flight. Friday night last flight of the day, 1 seat available but I was #2 on the upgrade list. I felt a bit of satisfaction actually as I undercut someone's CPU ... after a long work week I didn't mind ponying up the fee - as a bonus I got P fare PQM (from K).
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Would You Upgrade ?

FT'ers

DSM-HKG on a 'K' fare, $709 a/i. After purchase I'm offered a buy-up on all legs, but more specifically $3029 SFO-HKG and $2770 HKG-SFO. Is this something you'd grab up? If so, does this book into a class where it earns PQM/PQD ?

Sorry for the ?s, I haven't flown UA much since the sweeping changes to MilegePlus a few years ago.

Cheers
n198ua

Last edited by n198ua; Nov 19, 2018 at 10:42 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by n198ua
DSM-HKG on a 'K' fare, $709 a/i. After purchase I'm offered a buy-up on all legs, but more specifically $3029 SFO-HKG and $2770 HKG-SFO. Is this something you'd grab up? If so, does this book into a class where it earns PGM/PQD ?
Definitely no PQD. PQM is possible but you should assume not. And I wouldn't personally even consider those prices. I mean, that hardly looks like a discount from what I'd expect business class to cost if you just bought it outright.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Exactly. We don't buy up to domestic F for the quality of the product, we buy out of domestic Y to escape the cattle car.
That is so true, regardless of the airline. Considering how F has been watered down, and Y is downright miserable these days, there's more truth to that than I realized.

Hmm. Makes me think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.