Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:03 pm

Just thought I'd chime in to mention that I've incorporated all the ToD upgrade offers received in 2017 to this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Unsure if I'll continue updating this in the future but would encourage everyone to use the Airlines upgrade survey:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can find the results of the survey here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by joe_miami
You're a 1k; you're already loyal to UA. The airlines don't want F and J to be full of upgraded elites or elites on cheap buy-ups. They'd rather F and J be full of people who fly twice a year but pay for F or J outright.
My theory is a little different. I speculate that management thinks that 1Ks can afford to pay to sit up front, and eventually will get frustrated seeing non-status pax jump to the front of the bus. Eventually that frustration will result in frequent fliers opening the purse/wallet paying to sit up front.

Of course I have no smoking gun to support my theory, just anecdotal evidence from many times being seated next to a pax that didn't know how to work the lay-flat seats and VOD (PS flights) and ask me for help. P fares keep me flying UA up front, but finding them has been a bit challenging. (Note: P fares are often available for the first and last PS flights of the day, but those times don't usually work for me)
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Here's my latest one: Bought a 3-segment one-way from New York to Mexico for $215; the F/J price was $420. (First segment is very short, and the next two are wide open, so I'm expecting CPUs to clear.)

As soon as I purchased, the pop-up window offered me a buy-up for ... $840. Makes no sense. I could go into the reservation and buy up for the ~$200 fare difference.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
LAX - IAD ($135 - $550)

V-class economy fare. This flight had non-flat business class seats, offered $135-270 couple of days before the flight. $135 was a great price IMHO, but my family member declined to spend the money. At OCLI it s $550.
Question: She has star alliance Gold via partner airlines and if she has taken the upgrade for $135 would she be able to use same-day-change (SDC) feature to get on a different flight with lie-flat seats at no cost?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
IAH-AUS, $79, Jan. 6

At check-in, an agent gave me this price for the last seat ($79). Declined for 30-min hop.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
LAX-SIN Polaris offered $989 (last 2 seats), decided to grab it.
IFE sound, usb, power wasnt functional, FA offered $200 credit for inconvenience.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Sorry been sick since I've been home, couple of data points.

MCO-EWR 1/3 $220 @ OLCI. declined. (flight ended up cancelled)
MCO-EWR 1/4 $489 @OLCI. declined (flight ended up cancelled)

My Girlfriend and I, our reservation ended up getting split (by United when we were rebooked) Not sure which time. since we had 3 cancelled flights.

Morning of 1/5 call in since I can only get one seat on a 530p and can't get two since they split our reservation. Agent finds two seats on the 830p flight.
I ask if agent can sit us together, which he says he can and puts us in 10 D and E. (which is E+ 737-800)

Once I hang up I log in to see if he really did that and sure enough we were seated in E+ for free.
Our reservations were still split he said they couldn't undo that so I checked us in individually.
At OLCI I noticed that I was now a Y Fare and she was still a L fare.

MCO-EWR 1/5 GF offered $1389 @OLCI (L fare) I was offered @489. obviously declined all..
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A rare time I see a discounted upgrade offered.

IAD-RDU
At booking W Fare $121, P Fare $200
Premier Silver

After booking the W Fare offered the upgrade for $69, a $10 value absolutely free! I declined despite their generosity.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Saw another standard-issue TOD at booking:

SFO-MSP, F9 PN9 R0 (0/12), offered $199 on a G fare

Price at booking was $89 for G, and $368 for P. Declined, expecting easy CPU.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Saw another standard-issue TOD at booking:

SFO-MSP, F9 PN9 R0 (0/12), offered $199 on a G fare

Price at booking was $89 for G, and $368 for P. Declined, expecting easy CPU.
PN9 F9 and R0 at T24.... This is why people get frustrated with RPUs not clearing. Sure people standing on RPU's will mostly likely clear on that flight but always frustrating when at <T1 you still don't know if you've been upgraded. Happens all the time, but I get it, if they can sell the seat why give it away. It is what it is.....
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nomad420
PN9 F9 and R0 at T24.... This is why people get frustrated with RPUs not clearing. Sure people standing on RPU's will mostly likely clear on that flight but always frustrating when at <T1 you still don't know if you've been upgraded. Happens all the time, but I get it, if they can sell the seat why give it away. It is what it is.....
T-22days in this case (note the "at booking")

But your point is valid.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Post Sfo-kix $1549

Two seats leaft in business class according to seat map and availability. Declined offer during online check-in for $1549.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: UA
EZE-IAH. Booked in Q, 7 Polaris seats available and offer of $659. I declined as it's an overnight flight and I am on my way home.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Two seats leaft in business class according to seat map and availability. Declined offer during online check-in for $1549.
Sorry, I got confused and thought you were the one with the Q fare. What was your original fare?

Originally Posted by Jaysonb22
EZE-IAH. Booked in Q, 7 Polaris seats available and offer of $659. I declined as it's an overnight flight and I am on my way home.
Overnight flights would make me more tempted to take the TOD.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
I was concerned that since making Siver I would no longer receive the standard $159 TOD offer for my EWR-IAH flight yesterday. It wasn't looking good at T-24 as the offer was $1309 for two remaining F seats. However around T--12, it dropped to $159 and I snagged my lie flat for the ride home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.