Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by j2simpso
That being said, purchasing the buy up after purchase may not be the lowest price you'll pay especially when booking far enough in advance and certainly would represent what United would like to get rather than what they would actually offer. You can view these buy up offers by going to manage reservation on the UA website and clicking redeem upgrade to see what the current offer is. The buy up prices have a tendency of yo-yoing around as availability changes in the front cabin. It is also known that sometimes the upgrade offers given at check-in can significantly beat the buy-up options given prior to departure (i.e. BOS -> SFO in p.s. for $249). Sometimes you'll also earn extra milage if the ticket re-fares into P (i.e. double PQM) but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
The buy-up at purchase uses the same algorithm and same price as the buy-up at check-in. Between the two times, the offer is (supposed to be) simply the fare difference to change the ticket.

The other consideration is that the at-purchase buyup should be significantly cheaper in order to make it worth taking. The pop-up offers accrue no additional PQD, and are non-changeable and non-refundable. That's a decent amount of additional benefit to buying the premium cabin outright.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by findark
The other consideration is that the at-purchase buyup should be significantly cheaper in order to make it worth taking. The pop-up offers accrue no additional PQD, and are non-changeable and non-refundable. That's a decent amount of additional benefit to buying the premium cabin outright.
Unsure what is meant by pop-up offer. If you mean upgrading via the redeem upgrade then that certainly earns PQM per UA's chart. If during check-in it seems to be up in the air. Last year I received an upgrade offer at check for ORD to HNL at $500 USD which I accepted. Upon checking my UA account I noticed I received double PQM and additional PQD for the upgrade. This is one strong argument for them particularly if you're running close to a qualifying level and the upgrade would make the difference (as was the case from my LH trip from FRA to YYZ).

When thinking of upgrades I first consider the hardware I'm flying on (is it a 777 with lie flats or is it an Bombardier CRJ with nearly identical seats in F/Y?). I then consider the service on-board. Typically for short haul flights (i.e. 1-2 Horus) you're looking at a plate with cheese and crackers and wine (at least that was my experience flying AC ORD -> YYZ on a. ticket UA CPU'd) whereas long haul the food can be quite a step up over Y (i.e. LH's 5 course meals on TATL itins) and almost a must on long haul domestic (i.e. EWR -> HNL). Finally I consider the cost of the upgrade. Generally if the upgrade cost is close to $50 per hour flown I'll bite, especially if we're talking about lie-flat seats on long haul flights or red-eyes.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Unsure what is meant by pop-up offer. If you mean upgrading via the redeem upgrade then that certainly earns PQM per UA's chart.
When you purchase a ticket on united.com, you will get a pop-up at the end of the booking process (after payment) asking if you want to pay to upgrade. The algorithm and price are the same as the check-in offer, and so it does not earn PQD* and may/may not earn PQM based on the new booking code. This offer goes away if you decline it and cannot be accessed again until check-in. The "Manage Reservations" buyup is a different animal entirely.

*seems like you had a rare experience of getting PQD for this pop-up.. this is extremely unusual
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold
What price to expect buy up to first from EWR to IAH during check in?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ariel024
$159, give or take.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by ariel024
I'd recommend taking a look at this spreadsheet I put together from the FT community based on responses from last year's ToD forum:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by findark
$159, give or take.
Correct. I fly this route every month and have gotten the upgrade at that price every time. I either upgrade thru "manage reservations" or at check in, if I am feeling risky. I have gotten the double miles every time. I also book on the lie flat aircraft of which their are usually 3-4 going each way every day.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
ORD-RDU
At Booking: W Fare $180, P Fare $289
Premier Silver

After booking offered an upgrade for $119. I guess the $10 extra is punishment for my waiting?

Declined
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
EWR - CUN
T fare $299 upgrade offer at online check in
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
SEA-IAH, 2/4/18, offered me the last seat in F at OLCI (and app) for $599.

If i wanted to spend three times the money to fly in first, I would've just bought first. Also, considering when I booked it was only 400-500 for the first class ticket... Why would they think I'd spend even more when I declined buying it in the first place? Haha their systems amaze me sometimes.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
SLC-LAX
V Fare -> ?
$119

Was offered up until gate control on the app after check-in. Ended up #2 on the upgrade list and cleared.

Unrelated, but I was surprised to find my V fare was refundable.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
NRT-ORD
Z-->F $1409

I passed. The soup is good, but it's not that good.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
02/05/18 LAX-CLE
738 / lunch
Q -> <domestic first>
$379

passed.

that being said, there were 6 open seats in F at T-24 and 2 folks already upgraded at that mark. now, at T-12.5, same 2 folks are still upgraded, upgrade standby list for F has 13 people on it and F shows as "Booked: Full" - so the 6 buy ups got themselves into F-class fares and passed "GO" and didn't stop at the upgraded list.

David
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:06 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
2/4/18 IAH-SFO $99.
K fare.
I SDC onto this flight and was offered the buy up on the app.
I took it.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: UA Mileageplus
2/5/2018 UA282 EWR-DEN
V fare; $199 buyup offer at check-in machine.

Was also offered $409 on my subsequent DEN-KOA flight through the app, but when I tried to accept it the seat failed to confirm.

​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.