Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I'd take the beef cheeks over the other items
Well you probably could have gotten thirds yesterday, b/c no one else wanted them
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by DCA writer
UA 857 SFO-PVG, 6/5/17
747-400

This was a great upper-deck ride--my first on a UA 747, so also [sob] probably my last--with an experienced, attentive crew.

PDBs came in regular plastic cups, not the spike thing. Warm nuts, served with a (promptly refilled) glass of Pommery, arrived within 40 minutes of takeoff. The Thai-style shrimp appetizer was delicious, although the garlic bread accompanying the fresh spinach salad was neither too warm nor particularly garlicky.

Entree choices were grilled pork chop, stir-fried pork, Mongolian chicken or poached salmon. I picked the first one, and man, that was a lot of food. (The chop was probably a bit past 145 degrees, but nowhere near overdone or dried out). In that context, I didn't mind the lack of sundaes--I got one of the miniature apple pies instead--and skipped the cold and hot bites.

They didn't offer the wine flights and instead poured regular-size glasses, maybe because the small trays upstairs didn't leave much room for that three-glass holder.

I had only begun to get hungry again when breakfast came around. After one false start with bringing the cereal entree, they had the congee I'd ordered. The porridge part of it was on the bland side (not that I have a huge basis of comparison), but it was definitely the better choice for a 3 p.m. China-time meal than the other option, an omelette.
The pork chop looks good (and big). How was it?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by physioprof
I had the same meal IAD-NRT on Sunday,the pork chop is a decent size and well presented unfortunately I had to ask 2 other pax to hold it down while I tried to cut it it was so tough.
The garlic bread was as per usual under cooked with a blob of cold butter and the thai shrimp had the elasticity of an inner tube.Great pictures though must say.As per picture above , still serving economy class products of salad dressing, crackers and ice cream.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold,1MM, Hilton Honors Silver, Marriott Gold, BA Blue
Originally Posted by physioprof
I had the pork chop on the same flight, SFO-PVG, a few days earlier and really enjoyed it. It was cooked perfectly.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Unfortunately the pork chop is either very good or very tough to chew.

I have had excellent ones and also had ones that were just not worth damgaing my teeth.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by TCD
My wife and I react completely differently to jet lag and time zone changes.
Using jet lag as an excuse for poor FA behavior is a bit rich, in my opinion.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM *Alliance Gold
The missing sundae mystery

Ice cream in a Dixie cup for dessert on our SFO FRA flight upper deck this week.
how much longer can we expect the sundae moratorium to last?
Can it really take this long to fix the cracked dish problem? Methinks penny pinching may be part of the equation.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by rockrich
Ice cream in a Dixie cup for dessert on our SFO FRA flight upper deck this week.
how much longer can we expect the sundae moratorium to last?
Can it really take this long to fix the cracked dish problem? Methinks penny pinching may be part of the equation.
Extensively covered here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ne-2017-a.html
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by hirohito888
UA875

PBD setup was right in front of my bulkhead seat, it was rather annoying with FAs standing around preparing drinks.
I've sat at that bulkhead and I didn't appreciate it.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
On IAH-EZE currently. A few things:
- PDB tray gone and replaced by regular plastic cup. No chocolates. If this is permanent, I'm in the minority (based on comments here) that liked and preferred the tray
- new amenity kit
- 5 entree choices; got the soba noodle salad with shrimp (kind of a weird choice because the appetizer was also shrimp) but I appreciated the light choice for a late-night flight
- wines actually matched the wine list (no specific champagne listed on menu); tried Malbec on the three-glass flight but when I asked for a full glass barely 15 minutes later was told it was already gone
- no bread basket
- references to sundaes excluded from menu but small salted caramel containers offered
- no Grand Marnier; this is third flight in a row with none (is this officially gone? I recall UA Insider a few months ago denying that Grand Marnier was going away)

Last edited by st530; Jun 10, 2017 at 6:27 am
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: None anymore
ICN-SFO on 6/8 had ice cream in a cup. I sat in Polaris First, great experience all around. I guess in order:
-PDB was in a plastic cup, not the usual spike glass thing.
-got chocolates
-I only did champagne so no wine, FA opened the bottle and the bottle sprayed a bit and some hit the ceiling
-meal service was quick compared to some of my last experiences. Finished the meal as we crossed over Tokyo
-Got the pork ribs, they weren't bad but not great. Awesome if you consider they were made in an airplane oven. (warmed up at least)
-Garlic bread was so hard you could use it as a hockey puck
-Ice cream in a cup
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
s i r a l o P -

What was supposed to be "Polaris" (or the original intention of such) is now being back-pedaled or slowly reverting to good old Smisek cost-cutting...

I dread to fly the BOM sector with their "food" this month!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Even putting the quality of food aside, there is so much I miss about pre-Polaris in J:

* A full drink cart for the first drink service.
* Bread basket vs pre-plated bread.
* A choice of dressings and, especially, something other than just olive oil / vinegar.
* Croutons on the salad.
* Cheese served to order. Not pre-plated.

This may just be me but I really, really miss how the food and drinks used to be served.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:15 am
C4T

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold, Marriott Platinum
I flew the new Polaris twice to and from Europe over the last couple of weeks and in my opinion it is false advertising. After all the hype, posters and media I really expected something and all it ended up being is worse than BF. The meal service now rivals a fast food restaurant with plastic tray with everything but the entre served at once versus the BF appetizer and salad carts. There was no sundae but rather a small cardboard single serving of frozen solid ice cream and a postage stamp piece of apple tart. The entre was ok but nothing to write home about. What happened to the filet they used to serve? I guess that was a little rich for Oscar's budget. The trip over had legacy CO crew so the service was pretty good but coming back it was leagacy United crew. The United crew did all but throw the meal trays from the galley. What a bunch of surly employees that have no clue about customer service. All in all Polaris sucks in my opinion.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by C4T
I flew the new Polaris twice to and from Europe over the last couple of weeks and in my opinion it is false advertising. After all the hype, posters and media I really expected something and all it ended up being is worse than BF. The meal service now rivals a fast food restaurant with plastic tray with everything but the entre served at once versus the BF appetizer and salad carts. There was no sundae but rather a small cardboard single serving of frozen solid ice cream and a postage stamp piece of apple tart. The entre was ok but nothing to write home about. What happened to the filet they used to serve? I guess that was a little rich for Oscar's budget. The trip over had legacy CO crew so the service was pretty good but coming back it was leagacy United crew. The United crew did all but throw the meal trays from the galley. What a bunch of surly employees that have no clue about customer service. All in all Polaris sucks in my opinion.
Putting your crew issues aside (I generally wouldn't attribute a bad crew to pmCO vs pmUA, some crews are just better than others), sounds like you are used to only flying pmCO routes. Even pre-Polaris, the pmUA service procedure was to use a tray and to serve the appetizer and salad at the same time. pmUA also did not serve cheese tableside, they had pre-plated cheese just like Polaris. So really the Polaris service flow is more of a move to the pmUA service flow. I do find it hilarious that a point of differentiation now between Polaris Business and Polaris First is that F gets a choice of dressing, served tableside. F continues to have the old, more personalized service flow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.