Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:54 pm

Way back when in 2016 (last year), when I was flying from LGA-DEN, we had three options, the great quiche (which my parents enjoyed), or a warm waffle with berries and ham (delicious), and an option of Cereal & Milk, all with fruit, yogurt. On the return, during lunch, there was the option of Lobster Mac & Cheese, Salmon with Lumb Crabmeat, and an Arugula Salad with Milanese Chicken Breast, with good salads and PDB, ramekin, and ice cream in an actual sundae bowl.

Three days ago, going there in the morning, it was the option of the same “protein” plate or a warm egg burrito, which looked terrible, without any yogurt, only fruit.

On the return, it was just the disgusting Panner, or Asian Noodle Salad, no variety, with a plated chocolate cake, not ice cream, but pretty good. Of course, PDB and nuts remained.

Overall, I’m not a fan of this devaluations, at all.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
SFO-OGG yesterday, 4:45pm departure

Cutbacks not showing as heavily here with the exception of two entree choices versus three that used to be offered.

PDB of choice, hot towels, warm nuts, single tray setup of salad (very fresh), pretzel bread, entree choice of salmon with quinoa or butternut squash manicotti. Better half and I had one of each, both were very good, the manicotti presented really well in new large Polaris servingware. Plenty of drink refills.

Vanilla bean gelado with chocolate sauce and whipped cream. Warm macadamia nut cookie prior to arrival. Great, attentive crew.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
DAY->DEN
UAX Dinner

Nice light dinner on the UAX flight. Salad was fresh and the chicken was moist and tender. Excellent service by the FA. Other option was a salmon salad.
Attached Images   
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Didn't Realize It Was So Bad!

SFO-ORD 6:40 a.m. departure. This flight is blocked at 4:17. I was shocked at the meal choices - a hummus plate (!) or some sort of breakfast sandwich with kale (!!). I passed, just had fruit and a biscuit. I was particularly annoyed b/c I'd had just a minor snack at Centurion lounge expecting a real breakfast on the flight.

Complained immediately to 1kvoice upon landing. (Also about inop wifi/streaming.) I'm seriously rethinking domestic carrier for paid F if these cuts hold.
demkr, Plane-is-home and tstauck like this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Kacee
SFO-ORD 6:40 a.m. departure. This flight is blocked at 4:17. I was shocked at the meal choices - a hummus plate (!) or some sort of breakfast sandwich with kale (!!). I passed, just had fruit and a biscuit. I was particularly annoyed b/c I'd had just a minor snack at Centurion lounge expecting a real breakfast on the flight.

Complained immediately to 1kvoice upon landing. (Also about inop wifi/streaming.) I'm seriously rethinking domestic carrier for paid F if these cuts hold.
Same. This is the most incredibly short sighted thing they could do. An airline that improves a product dramatically only to make further cutbacks is an airline that does not know what it is doing.

Not to mention, who decided that these meals were appropriate? A "hummus plate" with fruit? A kale sandwich? These aren't breakfast items for most people...
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
Same. This is the most incredibly short sighted thing they could do. An airline that improves a product dramatically only to make further cutbacks is an airline that does not know what it is doing.

Not to mention, who decided that these meals were appropriate? A "hummus plate" with fruit? A kale sandwich? These aren't breakfast items for most people...
It’s an “egg white pastry with kale and roasted tomatoes.” I had it on the same flight on Thursday. It’s not half bad but *very* San Francisco.
demkr likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JAaronT
It’s an “egg white pastry with kale and roasted tomatoes.” I had it on the same flight on Thursday. It’s not half bad but *very* San Francisco.
I think it tastes decent but the fact that it's now an entree choice on a 4+ hour flight is pathetic. I had this a few weeks ago going either ORD/EWR-TPA...half the distance. It's not exactly the most filling. I happened to be looking at old pics today and was sad when I found one of the quiche with tri-color potatoes, chicken sausage, fruit, and cinnamon roll. That was by far the peak of the domestic catering the past few years and one of the main reasons I was buying domestic F.

As others have stated upthread, I will A) start to buy less F if these changes stick. Why bother when I can get a free meal + drink in the back B) write in after every flight with the downgraded catering. How they go from being the best of the big 3 (catering wise) to now the worst I just don't get.
tstauck likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Yes, thank you, that's what the FA described.

I was born and raised in the bay area and have no interest in this item To the extent it's a "San Francisco" item, it's what SF has regrettably become, not what it once was. After all, Joe's Special is an SF original.

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I think it tastes decent but the fact that it's now an entree choice on a 4+ hour flight is pathetic.
And that's exactly my complaint. They should have had two real breakfast items. E.g., eggs or french toast. Or Eggs or cereal.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I was born and raised in the bay area and have no interest in this item
You're right, it's more LA.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I happened to be looking at old pics today and was sad when I found one of the quiche with tri-color potatoes, chicken sausage, fruit, and cinnamon roll. That was by far the peak of the domestic catering the past few years and one of the main reasons I was buying domestic F.
Ooooh, I remember that one, it was good. I guess that's a small blessing of never getting upgraded, you don't remember what you're missing.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Dulles to SFO Breakfast flight Oct 8

Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Just had that breakfast. Was pretty good.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was/is that this "egg white pastry kale" thing described above?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:44 am

Here's 1kvoice's response to my complaint about breakfast on SFO-ORD:
I regret that you were disappointed in the breakfast choices and were expecting a hot breakfast. I will certainly forward your comments to our food division for review.
I had asked them to pass my complaint along to the people who make decisions about catering, which I suspect occurs above the "food division."

They gave me a $200 e-cert for this plus inop wifi/streaming, which I'm guessing (based on the consolidated comp thread) breaks down as $50 for the breakfast and $150 for wifi/streaming.

Flying back this afternoon and my plan is to hit America's Dog at ORD before departure.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Was/is that this "egg white pastry kale" thing described above?
Yes. As I mentioned upthread, I think it actually tastes decent. My issue is that it's now being served on flights of all lengths, from EWR-Florida, to midcons, and now apparently 5+ hour transcons (as UA_Flyer posted above).

So much for menu variety.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.