Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Known Problem: system "deducted miles in error"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

I recently canceled 2 one-way award bookings between the US and Australia. Each booking was for 4 x business class and cost me 4 x 80,000 miles to book. So i had spent 640,000 miles in total to book the 2 one-way award bookings for 4 people.

On cancellation, I was credited back with 480,000 miles and all the taxes and fees.

I contacted mileageplus by email and was told the following -
"Both record locators have been redeposited in your account. We have a known problem with with our system which seems to have deducted miles on December 22, 2016 in error. We are working to correct your account."

My mileageplus account activity shows 2 separate transactions on Dec. 22, 2016 (date of cancellation) called "Air Award Purchase Related Adjustment" and deducting 80,000 miles each for the total of the missing 160,000 miles.

Anyone have a similar experience or insight into what may be happening?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
This just happened to me - applied a 70,000 mile deduction for "Air Award purchase related adjustment". Did you get the issue resolved or anyone else have experience with this?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
This just happened to me - applied a 70,000 mile deduction for "Air Award purchase related adjustment". Did you get the issue resolved or anyone else have experience with this?
This happened to me several months ago. I had to call and they fixed. MileagePlus is aware of this issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.