Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Open J Class Seat Bidding Made It To The Your Suggestion List

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Open J Class Seat Bidding Made It To The Your Suggestion List

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Because it would cause an absolute mutiny from the employee groups. Word of this has been floating around for the last week or so. I'm not sure if it's a trial balloon by management, but it will absolutely not fly with UAL's front lines, who have intl. premium travel as of their last worthwhile benefits. It's a very quick way for Munoz to wipe out a substantiative portion of the goodwill he's fostered over the last year. I don't think he's negligent enough to ever green light something like this.
Agree this is a bad idea. Unfortunately, I think the degradation of employee benefit is already ordained with the move to eliminate Intl First Class. Going to be much tougher for UA staff with only the business class cabin.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Agree this is a bad idea. Unfortunately, I think the degradation of employee benefit is already ordained with the move to eliminate Intl First Class. Going to be much tougher for UA staff with only the business class cabin.
pmUA already essentially wiped out domestic F passriding with UDU (sans p.s.). Getting rid of intl. F is a big blow, so the thought of the company now giving away intl. C to either bidding, or comp upgrades is nearly unthinkable.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by raehl311
It seems that given so much of the profitability of long haul flights is driven by business class revenue United can't risk undermining their own pricing too much.
I don't think it's a given that 10 sq ft of J space necessarily generates more revenue than 10 sq ft of Y space. It probably depends on the route and time. If we look at the new 77Ws, for example, one Polaris J seat occupies the same space as 6 E- Y seats. Is the average J fare over 6x the average Y fare? In some cases, but not always.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:49 pm

Wouldn't surprise me. Instruments are completely worthless already so no big deal. Upgrades don't exist anymore as a 1K
Old Dec 22, 2016, 6:25 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fragment54
Wouldn't surprise me. Instruments are completely worthless already so no big deal. Upgrades don't exist anymore as a 1K
I think we all just have to get our heads around the idea that airline loyalty programs just don't matter that much to the carriers anymore. Now that everyone is pretty aggressive on discounted premium cabin pricing, I have become much more agnostic to who I fly. The evolution we have seen in domestic first (I have booked almost solely A, P, Z fares this year) means I don't really care if my RPUs have value, or if I have RPUs at all. You will see that same dynamic pricing dynamic come on the INTL routes as well. It is only a matter of time because this really does help the margins for these businesses.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

pmUA already essentially wiped out domestic F passriding with UDU (sans p.s.). Getting rid of intl. F is a big blow, so the thought of the company now giving away intl. C to either bidding, or comp upgrades is nearly unthinkable.
I thought the goal of United was to sell seats to customers?

My brother flies for DL. He and his spouse have been on more than one occasion stranded in a foreign country while on vacation because DL didn't have inventory for NRSA. While I agree that UA should not comp passengers with a business upgrade over NRSAs, NRSA's shouldn't be able to come before paying passengers. A "joy" I've already experienced once before.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by halls120
I thought the goal of United was to sell seats to customers?

My brother flies for DL. He and his spouse have been on more than one occasion stranded in a foreign country while on vacation because DL didn't have inventory for NRSA. While I agree that UA should not comp passengers with a business upgrade over NRSAs, NRSA's shouldn't be able to come before paying passengers. A "joy" I've already experienced once before.
Umm.. are you saying NRSA takes priority over a GPU/Miles upgrade? Comp J on Int'l almost never happens on UA unless Y oversold or some sort of seat inop issue with Y full.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Umm.. are you saying NRSA takes priority over a GPU/Miles upgrade?
It happened to me (1K at the time) and a GS on a BKK-NRT flight a few years ago. We both had instruments and we both struck out because a group of NRSAs claimed the open GF space.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by halls120
It happened to me (1K at the time) and a GS on a BKK-NRT flight a few years ago. We both had instruments and we both struck out because a group of NRSAs claimed the open GF space.
I don't believe this story, but my personal feelings notwithstanding, there is nevertheless absolutely no policy that states NRSA have a boarding priority over any revenue passenger, end of story.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:19 am

I don't believe this story, but my personal feelings notwithstanding, there is nevertheless absolutely no policy that states NRSA have a boarding priority over any revenue passenger, end of story.
I don't care what you believe, because it happened.

And I agree, it wasn't policy then or now to give NRSA priority over paying customers.

But if you believe employees never break the rules, I have a bridge to sell you. Cheap.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:10 am

Rule breaking or rouge employees is an odd way to justify a policy.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:53 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TOPIC CHECK

Please remember that this is a discussion about the possibility of United implementing "Open J Class Seat Bidding" and not about non-revs getting upgraded over paying passengers

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.