Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Forced to gate check rollerboard on ERJ-145

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced to gate check rollerboard on ERJ-145

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sykes
I'm not sure that I agree with your characterization of OpSpecs as modifications of flight regulations. While I am merely a (not-airline) pilot and not an expert in airline certification, I would argue that the OpSpec describes the procedures the airline will use to ensure that it complies with the publicly-available regulations rather than describing modifications to the regulations themselves.
From what I read -- online, so not a definitive source -- a carrier may be able to get the FAA to waive or to modify a rule that needn't apply to their situation. Even if that's mistaken -- and it certainly may be -- the opspecs carry the force of regulation, since an FAA inspector can take actions against a certificate holder for breaching them.

Originally Posted by mduell
Should you be able to see the exact average weight assumptions they're using for the Guam-China flights?
Yes? We're literally putting our lives in the hands of the people who make these decisions. If they can't withstand public criticism, they probably have no business transporting the public either.

People are going to "back-seat dispatch" regardless -- just look at the number of people who insist that UA should operate their flight because they looked out the window and the weather seemed fine.

Anyway, this tangent has drifted pretty far off-topic at this point. The bottom line is, UA should do a better job communicating the regulations for carry-on luggage on their E145/C200ATR42. And if it's going to vary by operating airline, they probably should point that out also.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by alchemista
1. "most cases" will not fit - however, that leaves open that in some cases they will fit (mine does fit)
The "most cases" refers to different aircraft and airlines, not different bags. A bag with wheels will be accepted in the cabin on some UX airplanes, and some UX contractor airlines, but not others.

The ERJ-145 is operated for United by ExpressJet, Commutair, and Trans States airlines.
The CRJ-200 is operated for United by Air Wisconsin and SkyWest.
The CRJ-700 is operated for United by SkyWest, Go-Jets, and Mesa.
The EMB-170/175 is operated for United by SkyWest, Republic, and Mesa.
(Did I leave any out other than Cape Air in Guam?)

Each airline has its own carry-on bag program which, while similar, may not be identical.

All I can do is explain the regulations and procedures to the extent that I know them but I don't think this will be enough. You are obviously not satisfied with the situation; so, I suggest that you contact United, via the web site, to register your complaint and, perhaps, get an official explanation. You can also file a DOT complaint if you believe that the carrier isn't following the applicable regulations and airline procedures.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The "most cases" refers to different aircraft and airlines, not different bags. A bag with wheels will be accepted in the cabin on some UX airplanes, and some UX contractor airlines, but not others.
Huh? That's not what it says. If you and I speak English, this clearly is referring to BAGS not fitting. I don't see how you can interpret that as certain airlines won't accept them - "will not fit in.. bins" is pretty clear, it doesn't say "may not be accepted"
in most cases roller bags and other larger carry-on items will not fit in United Express overhead bins.

And yes I already did contact United and got a token response and small cert, but no firm response on their policy of course (which is what I'd really like to have). I'd like to have something written that I can carry with me to these small airports I now travel to, so I can clearly show without "he said / she said" and avoiding any arguments. That doesn't seem possible.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd like to have something written that I can carry with me to these small airports I now travel to, so I can clearly show without "he said / she said" and avoiding any arguments. That doesn't seem possible.
Nothing United can give you will accomplish that, because United is only facilitating transportation, not providing it. You'd need something in writing from each of the companies LarryJ listed.

Understand that many of them also operate flights for AA and/or DL. The applicable regulations are the operating carrier's, not UA's, exactly as if you were flying on a UA codeshare flight operated by LH or somebody else.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
From what I read -- online, so not a definitive source -- a carrier may be able to get the FAA to waive or to modify a rule that needn't apply to their situation. Even if that's mistaken -- and it certainly may be -- the opspecs carry the force of regulation, since an FAA inspector can take actions against a certificate holder for breaching them.
OpSpecs were once unique documents for each airlines. They have since been standardized but that doesn't mean that they are identical.

There are many different authorizations that an airline can choose to seek. Each one has specific requirements that must be met to gain that authorization. For example, Southwest airlines is currently in the process of gaining ETOPS approval. Other 737 operators, such as United, Delta, and Alaska, already have 737 ETOPS authorization. Similarly, Southwest and Alaska have authorization to use takeoff and landing minimums based on a Head-Up-Display (HUD) while United (not sure about Delta) uses fail-passive autoland instead. These airlines are operating the same airplanes differently under different authorizations but each authorization's privileges and restrictions carry the weight of regulation for the airline.

There are also standard exemptions that an airline can apply for and, if the applicable conditions are met, receive. Many of these are quite technical involving airspace authorization or dispatch/weather requirements. Some of these exemptions are quite common and others rather unique.

I don't know if individual airline OpSpecs are public documents. I don't think that they are. Here is an example of a generic B342 OpSpec which covers ETOPS operations. An airline which earns B342 authorization would have this added to their OpSpecs with the information applicable to their authorization filled into the tables.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...208900.106.pdf
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
From what I read -- online, so not a definitive source -- a carrier may be able to get the FAA to waive or to modify a rule that needn't apply to their situation.
Waivers and exemptions to regulations are published: IRMIS System Use Notification and Disclaimer Statement Policy

Yes? We're literally putting our lives in the hands of the people who make these decisions. If they can't withstand public criticism, they probably have no business transporting the public either.
A primary justification of the FAA certification process is that the public is wholly incapable of evaluating the safety of an air carrier. As such, we employ experts in their field to evaluate the measures that air carriers take in order to comply with regulations and certify that they are adequate.

I'd like to have something written that I can carry with me to these small airports I now travel to, so I can clearly show without "he said / she said" and avoiding any arguments. That doesn't seem possible.
If I were United, I certainly wouldn't want to provide ammunition to someone who seems hell-bent on picking fights with flight attendants too.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:50 am

Huh?
The only additional advice that I can give you is that it is safe to assume that a wheeled-bag will not be permitted in the cabin on E-145 or CRJ-200 aircraft. Wheeled bags, which meet the sizer requirement as a carry-on bag, will normally be accepted, space permitting, on the larger RJs. I also think that you'll find this to be quite consistent on all US regional airlines regardless of which major airline they are flying for.

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Last edited by LarryJ; Apr 11, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
If I were United, I certainly wouldn't want to provide ammunition to someone who seems hell-bent on picking fights with flight attendants too.
Not hell-bent on picking fights with FAs. But yes hell-bent on avoiding checking my bag when it fits easily on a plane and I took my time to make sure I got the right size bag to work on all regional jet fleets.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:06 pm

So the moral of the story is to fly Southwest, where you get the same operating carrier every time, and also planes that can fit rollerbags.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Not hell-bent on picking fights with FAs. But yes hell-bent on avoiding checking my bag when it fits easily on a plane and I took my time to make sure I got the right size bag to work on all regional jet fleets.
Unfortanely you were not aware of the wheeled-bag issue at the time of purchase but as advised earlier best to assume (for most UX carriers) there is a wheeled-bag restriction for many ER-145s and CRJ200's.

This was not a rogue FA, this has been reported for numerous UX carriers and also for other express carriers operating on behalf of other traditional mainline carriers. Probably best to position yourself to be pleasantly surprised when you find an express carrier that allows wheeled bags. Sometimes it is easiest just to accept you have learned something new.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
No doubt it fits. But fitting is not the only criteria, and not all of the criteria may be published on UA.sux.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.