FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Forced to gate check rollerboard on ERJ-145 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1809752-forced-gate-check-rollerboard-erj-145-a.html)

Gimlei Dec 19, 2016 4:10 pm

Forced to gate check rollerboard on ERJ-145

I've taken the puddle jumper from EWR to DCA and back every week for the last few months. I have a small rollerboard that is just narrow enough to fit into the overhead bin of the ERJ 145, and so I always take it on board with me. Today, however, the flight attendant refused to allow me on board with it, even though I explained that it does fit, that I do it every week, and there was a ton of space as I was one of the first to board. She would have none of it and said that rollerboards were not allowed on board. I am wondering, is this an actual policy of United Express that's just very rarely enforced, or an overzealous employee? Does anyone know?

villox Dec 19, 2016 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Gimlei (Post 27636599)
I've taken the puddle jumper from EWR to DCA and back every week for the last few months. I have a small rollerboard that is just narrow enough to fit into the overhead bin of the ERJ 145, and so I always take it on board with me. Today, however, the flight attendant refused to allow me on board with it, even though I explained that it does fit, that I do it every week, and there was a ton of space as I was one of the first to board. She would have none of it and said that rollerboards were not allowed on board. I am wondering, is this an actual policy of United Express that's just very rarely enforced, or an overzealous employee? Does anyone know?

Let me guess, ExpressJet?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-carryons.html

Gimlei Dec 19, 2016 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by villox (Post 27636609)

You nailed it. I guess it's a policy then - although I could have sworn there were EJ flights among those I took on this route. Helpful to know it's just ExpressJet (sayonara, guys) and not all of United. Thanks so much!

findark Dec 19, 2016 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Gimlei (Post 27636631)
You nailed it. I guess it's a policy then - although I could have sworn there were EJ flights among those I took on this route. Helpful to know it's just ExpressJet (sayonara, guys) and not all of United. Thanks so much!

Policy or not, you won't see 100% of their staff enforce it.

AirbusFan2B Dec 19, 2016 4:41 pm

As we know, the regulation size 9X14X22 won't fit in the overhead on this soon-to-be-retired aircraft. But you've already done your homework, and your bag is smaller! I've employed a successful strategy for this on the E145. Get a green tag from the gate. Show it to the flight attendant and say that you know the bag will fit because you fly the E145 all the time (and, importantly) but if, for some reason it doesn't, you're already prepared to walk back out and gate check. Be VERY nice. It just may work.

sosptuba Dec 19, 2016 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gimlei (Post 27636599)

This specific reason is why I use the Red Oxx Airboss given of my 130 some flights this year at least 60 have been on 145's or 200's

AirbusFan2B Dec 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Key difference is the 9X14X22 will actually fit in the overhead of a C200! Crew bags always in the vicinity of row 8.

mduell Dec 19, 2016 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by sosptuba (Post 27636889)
of my 130 some flights this year at least 60 have been on 145's or 200's

Are you being punished? Who did you piss off?

AirbusFan2B Dec 19, 2016 5:52 pm

E145 hands down awful aircraft. This carry-on thing, which I have also experienced, only adds. 18B is tolerable but that's it.

JBord Dec 19, 2016 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B (Post 27636987)
E145 hands down awful aircraft. This carry-on thing, which I have also experienced, only adds. 18B is tolerable but that's it.

Really? I'll take any A seat over the C200 or C700 if given the choice. If I'm going to be in a small, uncomfortable seat at least I won't have some 500 lb'er next to me taking up half my tiny seat.

Back on topic, I'll have to look more closely next time. I've never noticed a roller board of any size on a 145. When I read the first post I was imagining someone dragging a comically small bag through the airport, but clearly I haven't paid attention!

rickg523 Dec 19, 2016 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 27636656)
Policy or not, you won't see 100% of their staff enforce it.

True, and when they don't, bad things can happen. Delayed in YQB because the OHB was broken when a rollaboard was removed. Parts were procured, and it was disassembled and repaired. The crew were not complimentary about their predecessors.
You can bet they enforced the rule when we finally boarded, 4 hours later. They fully enforced it. "If it has wheels, it goes in the hold. No exceptions." Not one compliant.

exerda Dec 19, 2016 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 27637047)
Really? I'll take any A seat over the C200 or C700 if given the choice. If I'm going to be in a small, uncomfortable seat at least I won't have some 500 lb'er next to me taking up half my tiny seat.

Well, at least the C700 has E+ and F seats, both of which IMHO beat the A seats on the E145.

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 27637047)
Back on topic, I'll have to look more closely next time. I've never noticed a roller board of any size on a 145. When I read the first post I was imagining someone dragging a comically small bag through the airport, but clearly I haven't paid attention!

I've had my smaller one on a 145 before. It is something like 14 x 18 x 8. It was a tight fit.

My usual 14 x 22 x 9 won't fit. It's fine in the E170/175 bins.

LarryJ Dec 19, 2016 6:58 pm

There are now several airlines operating the ERJ145 for United. ExpressJet, Transtates, and Commutair. Each is an independent airline with its own carry on bag policy which, while similar, may not be identical.

As always, some agents and flight attendants are more proactive than others at enforcement.

I always gate-check my rollaboard on Express flights but not because it won't (necessarily) fit--it usually would. I gate-check because there isn't much room and if everyone tried to bring a rollaboard aboard the overhead space would fill up very early in the boarding process.

Often1 Dec 19, 2016 7:08 pm

Nothing to complain about. It's the carrier's rule and the fact that it usually isn't enforced doesn't mean that it won't be.

All it takes is one jerk and you can bet the FA enforces it like a hawk for the next 90 days.

Wayside Dec 19, 2016 7:26 pm

Per the FAA the ONLY items allowed to be carried in the cabin of ExpressJet ERJ are personal items. They utilize a lower average passenger weight that doesn't account for bags carried into the cabin. On say a CRJ-700 or 900 operated by ExpressJet (be it in the Delta world) the average passenger weights are higher because carry-on bags are allowed in the cabin on those aircraft for ExpressJet. It all has to do with how the carrier develops its approved weight and balance program within the Operations Specifications. Because the weight of a carry-on is NOT included in the passenger weight on a 145, they must be gate checked. This ensures their weight is accounted for separately. Consistent enforcement is difficult BUT if it's not a personal item it should not be brought into the cabin. Consider that the weight and balance of the aircraft is contingent on proper adherence to this policy.