Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by fumje
You'll have to get your Kavalan fill before departure, or before the airport even. My recollection is that the EVA lounge does not even have any Taiwanese whisky; I think SQ may have one mid-/down-market one (?), but I'm not sure I remember correctly.
Every EVA lounge I've been to always had a bottle in the self-serve area... In flight they serve Kavalan Classic along Royal Salute 21 year old Scotch, they also spoil you with Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame, so not much to complain about there...
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:03 am

folks - traveling 777-300ER soon on UA49. For a single tall traveler, are the odd numbered rows windows seats still the best? Currently I have 1G and afraid it may be a little noisy
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sam007
folks - traveling 777-300ER soon on UA49. For a single tall traveler, are the odd numbered rows windows seats still the best? Currently I have 1G and afraid it may be a little noisy
This is covered in the wiki and discussed at length many times already in this thread.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:12 am

folks - would you choose 3A or 1G if you were traveling alone and over 6 feet tall

thx
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sam007
folks - would you choose 3A or 1G if you were traveling alone and over 6 feet tall

thx
3A, because I like looking out windows.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:17 pm

I really disliked 10A ... it felt really cramped and had just a single window which was a tad far away.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Some of UA's systems apparently think that #2148 (N2748U) is a 777-200, so when tonights SFO-AKL flight change to this ship a few hours before departure everyone seems to have received an email notifying them of the change from a 777-300 to a 777-200, which had a number of people in the Polaris lounge unhappy about losing their prime seats (even though they hadn't).
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
I'm on this flight and called in because we're flying with an infant and wanted to keep a bassinet. The rep said that the plane would have premium plus seats and moved us from 30DE (bassinet row) to 20KL. If I understand correctly, your post suggests that this might not actually be the case?

[edit] called back just now as a few more seats opened up in PE and I wondered what was going on. Second agent confirmed that this is a new configuration, hard product will be new "premium plus" but sounded like soft product was good old Y. If this is accurate it'll be interesting to see how the seats compare to NZ PE which we fly often.

Last edited by smanch; Dec 19, 2018 at 2:40 am
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by smanch
I'm on this flight and called in because we're flying with an infant and wanted to keep a bassinet. The rep said that the plane would have premium plus seats and moved us from 30DE (bassinet row) to 20KL. If I understand correctly, your post suggests that this might not actually be the case?

[edit] called back just now as a few more seats opened up in PE and I wondered what was going on. Second agent confirmed that this is a new configuration, hard product will be new "premium plus" but sounded like soft product was good old Y. If this is accurate it'll be interesting to see how the seats compare to NZ PE which we fly often.
As long at the aircraft remains N2748U (a/c 2148) you will have the PE product. I flew PE a week ago HKG-SFO and thought the hard product was great. The soft product was indeed the same as Y but I dont think this will be the came when the product officially launches the end of March.

smanch - sorry I just reread your post and I guess I'm a little confused, when you say "this flight" which flight # and date of departure are you referring to ?

Last edited by n198ua; Dec 19, 2018 at 2:58 am Reason: flight confusion
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by n198ua
As long at the aircraft remains N2748U (a/c 2148) you will have the PE product. I flew PE a week ago HKG-SFO and thought the hard product was great. The soft product was indeed the same as Y but I dont think this will be the came when the product officially launches the end of March.

smanch - sorry I just reread your post and I guess I'm a little confused, when you say "this flight" which flight # and date of departure are you referring to ?
Ah my bad, I'm flying UA916 departing AKL 1530h (NZDT) on 20 December. flightradar24 indicates N2748U for this flight at the moment.

Looking forward to trying it! We are doing a lot of back and forth between NZ and N America for work these days and when traveling with a toddler it's much more pleasant (for *everybody*) to have a bit more space in PE to roam around. In terms of soft product, UA will have some stiff competition from NZ PE's soft product, which is fantastic & far better than PE in LH or AC (in my opinion).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 19, 2018 at 3:50 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:47 am

Ah my bad, I'm flying UA916 departing AKL 1530h (NZDT) on 20 December. flightradar24 indicates N2748U for this flight at the moment.
ok 2748U is on its way to you right now, so barring some major mech this is your a/c. According to Flightradar24 your flight will be the 2nd revenue flight for this plane. Enjoy your brand new a/c!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:13 am

ok 2748U is on its way to you right now, so barring some major mech this is your a/c. According to Flightradar24 your flight will be the 2nd revenue flight for this plane. Enjoy your brand new a/c!
ha, wow! looks like we lucked out. and we paid <$1k a head for WLG-AKL-SFO-YUL, with a return on NZ's new longest ORD-AKL flight ... pretty solid deal for PE one way
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:16 pm

ha, wow! looks like we lucked out. and we paid <$1k a head for WLG-AKL-SFO-YUL, with a return on NZ's new longest ORD-AKL flight ... pretty solid deal for PE one way
How did your flight go ?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:03 am

777-300ER SFO-NRT UA Economy Plus Seating

I'm looking at the seating availability on the UA website for my flight SFO-NRT on 2/6/19 in Economy Plus and it shows 2-4-2 (rather than 3-4-3) seating in rows 19 to 21, with seats B and K missing. Is that correct? I'm wondering whether to get, say, seats 21 J and L rather than 24 J and K. I've reviewed many of the seating recommendations on SeatGuru and elsewhere, and can't quite reconcile the matter.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 27, 2018 at 11:14 pm Reason: moved to 773 master thread
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: CX Gold
This is the new Premium Plus (i.e., Premium Economy) section. Currently I think United treats it as Economy Plus, but starting from March 29, it will become a separate class of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.