Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
Polaris Business EWR-SFO last week.
Everything including the dirty seats, low quality wine and food - unimpressed
Not a Polaris route.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:44 pm

SFO - HKG 869 on 12/2

Flew upper deck on the 747 on the new polaris. Would say that the food is the same old same old, champagne was a little improved. Enjoyed the blankets, pillows, and pajamas but the chair is the same old chair (much prefer AC or NH business class in that respect). Service was better than the last SFO-HND 777 flight I took and seemed FAs were enthusiastic about Polaris. Will fly back on NRT-SFO (747 UD as well). I am not a fan of the new amenity kit, which I think is harder to reuse in the future.

One nice bonus was my GUM-NRT flight I took as well has all the polaris items, sans amenity kit and bear.

Hoping to try out the new seat and lounges in the future.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
We flew in First on a 747 from Narita to SFO today. Food was OK, bedding a little better. Flight attendants were great, but I don't attribute that to Polaris. The only real difference I noticed was that the wine seemed better and they had tasting sets of 3 wines built into the program. I forgot to ask for PJs.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:04 pm

Flew Ua17 Sunday and got my bear, so I'm happy about that. Wine "tasting" was mentioned but the flight was not explained so I missed that it was an option. They were pouring generously though, so I did try all the new reds. The H3 seemed perfectly acceptable. Soft goods were nice but as some others noted it was kinda "stuff" overload considering the space available. Food was nice, definitely an improvement from my previous experiences. Same BF seat, but I'm looking forward to the new seat with the new service for sure.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by mikel51
We flew in First on a 747 from Narita to SFO today. Food was OK, bedding a little better. Flight attendants were great, but I don't attribute that to Polaris. The only real difference I noticed was that the wine seemed better and they had tasting sets of 3 wines built into the program. I forgot to ask for PJs.
I'm taking this exact flight and in PF next week. PJs are not offered on flights sub 12 hours so NRT-SFO doesn't get PJs.

-RM
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I dont know why UA put so much hype into Polaris so long before it is FULLY implemented. Or at least clarify. I bet alot of people (who dont read FT) will fly BF if think (this is it? I'm never flying UA again!) and never know about the new seats
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
They should serve breakfast prior to arrival CDG. That is a massive fail and I would write to customer care.
Could it be that she slept through it? They do start breakfast rather early...I find not serving breakfast almost unbelievable unless the FA went from seat to seat asking people who were awake if they wanted breakfast.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Picked up a 789 SFO-IAH and it came with half the Polaris bedding: the big pillow and the fancier (tied, heavy) blanket. The bedding is a huge improvement over the old blankets. No other Polaris of course, since it was domestic, and no bears
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:58 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by eng3
I dont know why UA put so much hype into Polaris so long before it is FULLY implemented. Or at least clarify. I bet alot of people (who dont read FT) will fly BF if think (this is it? I'm never flying UA again!) and never know about the new seats
Agreed, have flown it last week, without the new seat it is still a totally sun standard product. They could have roled out all the service stuff and had it down and had the big launch when they had a seat that was not light years behind other airlines. The marketing material about all forward facing / isles access seats is a joke, VS/NZ have had that for a long time....
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:28 am

Programs: UAL 1k; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond;
Polaris December 5th SFO to NRT

Found the FA to be very friendly. Many more touch points then I have experienced even on this flight in the past.

Food quality is up. Aps, main meal, snack were all much more flavorful, delivered at a better temperature

No offer of the pajamas

No offer of the pillows or bed roll.

Got the bear. Looking forward to seeing how the clubs will evolve.

Overall, good first experience. Looking forward to more upward and onwards.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Think of it another way. Would you rather they wait to roll out a product improvement, so you can't enjoy it for a while longer?

With airlines there's no way to roll out everything at once. I'd rather get as much improvement as possible as soon as possible.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Also need to build up the brand too.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: United 1K
Just got off UA 947 IAD-GVA and have to say I wasn't super impressed. Pre-flight service was total chaos - they couldn't even get basics - like drinks. The new plastic glass apparently is flawed as everyone was told to be careful as there have been a number of spills as its a challenge to fit the flute into spike that holds it. Food included a few things that harken back to the old United days (pre merger). There are 2 pillows instead of one and the cover is a little nicer but the filling wasn't that much different. The duvet was new colors but similar to the old one - the blanket was nice but I honestly didn't need it. Overall service would be best described disappointing. People were frequently ignored (the person next to me and I never were once asked if we wanted something to drink or eat despite waking up while still serving breakfast).

Especially since they are still making announcements like "Everyone in BusinessFirst should stow their seats for landing."

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 7, 2016 at 12:43 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by jp12687
Onboard now

Nice spread on arrival to the seat. Service seems a bit off. Half the cabin got pre departure beverage and half did not.

There was confusion over the menu items for entrees on the menu (fairly sure my Asian chicken soup will be some beef thing from the Japanese menu when it comes).

Service overall seams sloppy still.
Believe the sloppy service was attributed to one particular FA. Had some good cats with the rest of them and they were generally great and fairly positive but had some critical (and crucial) feedback. The biggest of which is storage for all the stuff. There just isn't enough seat storage or overhead for it all. It ends up crammed on the floor or in the foot cubby.

Stuff itself is nice.

Wish they didn't go super "fancy" on the salads. Who actually likes kale?

Pre flight was chaos and the ground crew at Newark is challenging to get the planes ready at a high quality level.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Good improvement

Sometimes I wonder if I am living in an alternate world. Not quite understanding these negative comments regarding Polaris.

Just flew EWR-PEK on sCO plane #3003. Yes, they had to reset the Linux IFE system half way during the flight. Yes, the plane is from 1998 and doesn't have the new Polaris seats yet.
But the soft product is now live, and the FA (at least on my flight) made a GREAT effort to provide excellent service. I enjoyed the new amenities and food service (although to be honest, the 'old' service was also okay too, and totally adequate).

One FA mentioned that this was her first flight this month (i.e. on Polaris) but she did a very fine job.

Service throughout was excellent, and it was great to see, taste and feel what United has invested so much in.

The only thing I did notice that might be considered a negative, is that will all the new self-serve snacks provided during the flight, and the more attentive FAs, I found the cabin a bit more 'active' and less quiet. Before, FAs were hardly seen after the first meal service before the mid-flight snack, and then again absent after mid-flight snack to breakfast service. Now, there seems to be constant activity from FAs and passengers. Summary: get protected against noise and light.

Overall a welcome change. Not overwhelmingly great but decent and much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.