Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

When 2 of you travel in Y, do you select Window+Aisle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When 2 of you travel in Y, do you select Window+Aisle?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:08 pm

I often select E+ window and aisle, although for international flights I'll often book two aisle seats across the aisle from each other as I don't like being stuck at the window on really long flights.

We've been on many flights where the middle seat was not taken in economy plus, and had enjoyed having the middle seat empty between us. Unless the plane is a full flight, chances are good that middle seat in E+ stays open.

Do we move when a middle seat passenger shows up? Usually no. My tall DH really needs the aisle, and I don't like being in the middle and prefer the window if I don't plan to get up during the flight. So usually we just sit apart. I'd say 1 out of 5 times I may ask if the new passenger if they would prefer the window instead. But usually we're more comfortable sticking with our window and aisle choices even with a passenger between us.

Actually, now that I think on it the only time when we asked was when there was already someone seated in the middle when we arrived at our row, and instead of them having to come all the way out to let one of us in, we offered her the window which she was delighted to take. We are usually the first to our row with group 2 boarding.

Last edited by AONwheels; Nov 28, 2016 at 9:30 pm
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While I also will do the Aisle:Window booking (+1 wants Window) when in economy, its my luck to be mostly on flights that are 95+% filled, so most of the time I end up in the middle.
Have you seen general loads these days? Yours and almost everyone's luck.

My home airport is mostly RJs, so we are on a lot of flights with 2 x 2 seats. On Mainline, I tend to book window/aisle. Then I see what happens closer to flight time. If the flight is clearly fully booked, or looks like its close (I.e., only a couple of rows with middles left, Ill usually just change the seat assignment myself in advance. I'd say it only works a small portion of the time, anyway.

IMO, best shot is to book toward the back of E+ (at least on routes that aren't particularly elite-heavy). The middles in those rows are often the last to be assigned, as when they fill at the gate, it's generally done front to back, so a middle in the back of E+ is the least likely to be assigned at the gate. I don't fly hub-to-hub often, but guessing it's a little different on those routes, where there's bound to be more higher elites entitled to E+.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I do this all the time, booking myself in Window, the +1 in the Aisle. If I get upgraded, she takes my upgrade and I take her seat (I prefer Aisle).

If not, the trick works 60% of the time, and would be higher if it weren't for the fact that Row 21 is our favorite. But normally the middle person is an NRSA or a fellow FF (even some GS!). And they are ecstatic to take the window.

In 5 years of serious FF traveling, only once did someone not want to switch - I think the lady liked being in the exit row, but didn't want the "responsibility" of the window or the aisle.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
We always book aisle:aisle whenever we can.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While I also will do the Aisle:Window booking (+1 wants Window) when in economy, its my luck to be mostly on flights that are 95+% filled, so most of the time I end up in the middle.
Yep, it used to work 5+ years ago, but doesn't mean I won't still book it that way.

At least once I remember the person in the middle refusing to move. I very nicely said that the +1 and I would be talking throughout the flight and didn't want to bother him, but he still didn't want to switch. Maybe some people prefer the middle seat!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Agree best approach is Window/Aisle back of E+ section. Picking one route (EWR-HKG) as an example, for 4 flights (yesterday through this coming Wednesday), the seat maps show different levels of availability in Y, but all of them show middle seats open toward the back of E+.

Much lower likelihood of success would be bulkheads and exit rows, since someone forced into a middle seat would choose those first.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JBord
Yep, it used to work 5+ years ago, but doesn't mean I won't still book it that way.

At least once I remember the person in the middle refusing to move. I very nicely said that the +1 and I would be talking throughout the flight and didn't want to bother him, but he still didn't want to switch. Maybe some people prefer the middle seat!
Some people honestly just don't care and want to take what they're assigned. If it's important to talk throughout the flight, couples should pre-select adjacent seats. It's only fair IMO to respect the individual who, for who knows why, wants the middle.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by swiftaw

Does anyone else do this? Is this considered "bad-form"? Anyone ever had a passenger insist on taking the middle seat because that's what they were assigned?
I do this all the time on flights I don't expect to fill up, but I am doing 4 seats (SO + 2 kids). Only one time ever has someone not want to move. I nicely asked this sort of unpleasent looking woman in her 50s if she wanted to switch, but before I got it out she said "No I don't want to move" so I put an 8 year old on one side of her and an 11 year old on the other. My SO and I had a nice flight on the other side of the isle, with an empty middle seat between us.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
When I fly with wife and son I always book aisle, aisle window all in E+. If someone show up in the middle we switch with them but it seems most of the time middle stays empty. Have booked this way for several years.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:56 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
For slightly unclear reasons booking an aisle + window as a couple makes me feel uncomfortable. Then again, I am an (expat) Brit so have a firmly bred sense of Don't Break The Rules.

I suppose the nearest thing I can liken this to is when I'm waiting in a long line and holding a place for my wife. It's not that I have a problem with other people doing it, but it still makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I do aisle-aisle, this way you at least have one side without a person.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Pingtung
Some people honestly just don't care and want to take what they're assigned. If it's important to talk throughout the flight, couples should pre-select adjacent seats. It's only fair IMO to respect the individual who, for who knows why, wants the middle.
This scenario is a 5-10% deal, and I would say if they insist then absolutely be prepared to sit in the aisle and the window with minimum communication, but I don't in anyway think it is disrespectful to ask.

What this scenario does is fill up windows and aisles sooner and late bookers actually get an advantage. So the real group with a beef would be folks who book in the last few weeks and don't get an aisle or window, unless they pick the right row.

And if we want to get even more complex if you are stuck picking a middle seat you should pick the back of E +, to maximize the possibility that this scheme is being used in your row
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
my wife and I always book window-aisle...I like the window. About 40% of time (transcons and TATL's) we have the E+ row to ourselves...when we don't, we've never had someone unhappy about taking the aisle seat and my wife moves to the middle...

Our friends always book aisle-aisle.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Pingtung
I agree. We asked nicely if he'd like to switch, then mentioned that we'd be talking during the flight. After that, we just left it alone. He certainly wasn't required to switch and we respected that.

And I don't think it's disrespectful at all to talk to someone else in my row, even if they're not seated next to me. It's not like we were leaning over the passenger, invading his space, to talk.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
No problem if you do it IMO, but give the person in the middle the choice of window or aisle if you ask them to switch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.