Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

When 2 of you travel in Y, do you select Window+Aisle?

Old Nov 28, 16, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental OnePass

So, most of my travel is with my SO, and mostly in Y on narrow bodied aircraft so 3+3 seating. Without thinking, I always select Window+Middle for our seats, but I'm wondering if a better strategy would be to select Window+Aisle in the hope that the (less desirable) middle seat might remain unoccupied. Worse case, if it isn't, I can take the middle, and allow the other passenger to take the more desirable aisle seat.

Does anyone else do this? Is this considered "bad-form"? Anyone ever had a passenger insist on taking the middle seat because that's what they were assigned?
Old Nov 28, 16, 9:49 am

Anyone ever had a passenger insist on taking the middle seat because that's what they were assigned?
Yes. But each time FAs explained the situation to them and they chose either the aisle or window so we could sit together.

Years ago my dad and I were flying on a 3+3 on a flight that was rarely more than half-full, so we chose aisle and window. There were maybe 20 people on the plane. Of course, the last person to get on was assigned to the middle seat and he was adamant about sitting there. FA saw the oddity of 3 people sitting next to each other on a flight with entire rows that were empty and told the guy he could take literally any other seat on the plane. I looked back later and saw him on an aisle that had someone on the window, even though the rows in front and behind were empty.
Old Nov 28, 16, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
...but I'm wondering if a better strategy would be to select Window+Aisle in the hope that the (less desirable) middle seat might remain unoccupied. Worse case, if it isn't, I can take the middle, and allow the other passenger to take the more desirable aisle seat.

Does anyone else do this? Is this considered "bad-form"? Anyone ever had a passenger insist on taking the middle seat because that's what they were assigned?
No - IMHO, the best way to go, although I'm finding that airlines are doing a far better job (their view, not my desire) nowadays of filling middle seats anyway by right-sizing planes and route capacity. Middle-seaters are more than happy to switch - they're not usually there by choice (late bookers, SDCers, NRSAs, Silvers out of E-, etc)
Old Nov 28, 16, 10:02 am

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
So, most of my travel is with my SO, and mostly in Y on narrow bodied aircraft so 3+3 seating. Without thinking, I always select Window+Middle for our seats, but I'm wondering if a better strategy would be to select Window+Aisle in the hope that the (less desirable) middle seat might remain unoccupied. Worse case, if it isn't, I can take the middle, and allow the other passenger to take the more desirable aisle seat.

I do exactly the same or we will do Aisle::Aisle. When traveling with the kiddos, we take over a 3 seat row and the adjacent Aisle.
Old Nov 28, 16, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
No, never.
When we travel together, we'd sit next to each other, even if the 3rd seat were to remain empty, so why book it like that?

I generally expect the airline to have the right sized aircraft for the route, so expect it's likely we'll have someone in our row, and would end up switching anyhow.
Old Nov 28, 16, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Nothing (Former Gold), Global Entry
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Silvers out of E-
When I was Silver I always preferred aisle/window in E- over middle in E+. It isn't much extra legroom, especially for the downside of sitting in the middle.

I agree that people can be weird about choosing seats even when there are good, empty arrangements to be had. I had a guy on TPE-NRT assigned to sit next to me when there was an empty bunch right beside us, and he refused to move! Makes no sense.
Old Nov 28, 16, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taoyuan View Post
When I was Silver I always preferred aisle/window in E- over middle in E+. It isn't much extra legroom, especially for the downside of sitting in the middle.....
Taller people may have a different opinion. Just one extra inch makes a huge difference for some people - and worth the obvious trade-off...
Old Nov 28, 16, 10:12 am

Programs: United Platinum
We have been booking window/aisle toward the back of the plane for at least 5-6 years now. I would say about 25% of the time the middle stays open. We have never had a middle-sitter refuse to switch (and it's easily been 20+ times we've asked.)
Old Nov 28, 16, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVP 75K, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
On Southwest this is a game folks call "Unite the Couple"
Old Nov 28, 16, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
I do this all the time. If I do need to book a middle, btw, I always book myself there in the event we clear one upgrade and not both. Then at least I'm in an aisle of window while the mrs. is up front.

But when we travel alone in Y, I almost always book window/aisle. I've never had anyone refuse to switch, and 99%+ they're absolutely giddy when we offer. The caveat would be a trans-con where I might book aisle/aisle adjacent to each other. You can still chat, though you're mostly watching a movie or utilizing IFE in some way.
Old Nov 28, 16, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat
I do this too but generally don't switch unless the flight is really early in the morning and I want to try and sleep. I've never been turned down. Last time the person I switched with slept all curled up in the aisle seat so the area was clear in front of her seat and I could get up as I wished without disturbing her. I think it is perfectly acceptable to do this and agree that this is the best strategy when you are both wait listed for upgrades. That way no one gets stuck with the middle.
Old Nov 28, 16, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Window and aisle, whoever wants the middle can have it.

Or aisle and aisle.
Old Nov 28, 16, 11:30 am

Programs: UA silver; AA Gold;AGR;HH Gold;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
We always book window - aisle and switch if needed with the person in the middle.
Old Nov 28, 16, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
I usually book aisle and window and will take the middle if another pax arrives with the middle seat assignment. This also helps in case one of us has our upgrade clear while the other doesn't - that way, we still retain an aisle or window and are not stuck in a middle seat.
Old Nov 28, 16, 11:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
While I also will do the Aisle:Window booking (+1 wants Window) when in economy, its my luck to be mostly on flights that are 95+% filled, so most of the time I end up in the middle.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: