Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight status upgrade tab greyed out in app - no elites in Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2016, 10:35 am
Original Poster

As the thread title says, the upgrade list is greyed out for UA5768 BDL-ORD today (November 26). Does this mean there is nobody on the upgrade list?

Y is full (according to the standby tab), with just a couple of unassigned seats in Y+.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
As the thread title says, the upgrade list is greyed out for UA5768 BDL-ORD today (November 26). Does this mean there is nobody on the upgrade list?

Y is full (according to the standby tab), with just a couple of unassigned seats in Y+.
I usually see that when the plane has no F like a CRJ200. What kind of plane is it?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
I usually see that when the plane has no F like a CRJ200. What kind of plane is it?
I am seeing this on my E175 flights and have been for about a week.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
Old Nov 26, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
That's normal for the E17x flights, it's been broken for more than a year.

IIRC they provide full tails instead of ship numbers, which UA's amazing IT platform can't entirely cope with.

It does NOT mean there are no elites in Y.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: UA GS
It's the same on my E175 flight for Monday, but it's the first time for me on. Maybe it's there Saturday IT surprise and delight program they often do
Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Yes, I looked on the APP the other day for a friend whom was traveling on an E175 to see where he was on the UG List. It was greyed out as well, but in fact he did get the UG at the gate.. Safe travels..
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

This is the first time I've noticed this on Embraer flights, and I've flown on a few this year (both 170s and 175s), so if it was always like that, I would have noticed before now.

In fact, checking the app for the plane's previous flight shows an upgrade list. So, it can't be because of the reg number vs. tail number issue as speculated.

Last edited by rmadisonwi; Nov 26, 2016 at 6:23 pm
Old Nov 26, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
As others have said it comes and goes with UAEX flights and seems to be hit or miss on different flight on the same day -- it seems that at some level in the back end the assumption is made that Express == No Upgrade. (Or maybe it's based on flight number range...honestly I haven't paid close enough attention)

The reg number vs. tail number has been blamed for a number of things but based on my own observations I think it's a red herring in every case (and especially this one based on the sporadic nature of it vs. the very consistent reg number use over the past year+)
Old Nov 26, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As others have said, nothing new for some aircraft types.

If you want to view the list, go to the mobile website (mobile.united.com), lookup the flight, and then modify the URL and change the word(s) right before the question mark (It'll be something like FlightDetails) to "UpgradeList".
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I'm a mostly domestic segment guy, and as such I have had maybe 30 segments this year on the 175. This morning's flight is the first time I've seen the upgrade tab not available. I had seen that before in the early days of the Q400's, when some had first and some didn't, but this is a first for me on the 175.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.