Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Year end / split year elite flight credit [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Crediting for flights around year-end / New Years
Flight segments will be individually posted based on their scheduled departure (local) time. So a 23:50 (11:50PM) local time on Dec 31, 2017 will credit to earning year 2017. If the scheduled time is 00:30 (12:30AM) local time Jan 1, 2018 will credit to earning the year 2018.

Arrival time does not matter.

If the flight is delayed to after midnight, it will still credit based on the originally scheduled departure.

If canceled and re-scheduled, you can call / write and request Original Routing Credit (ORC).

If a direct flight with two segments, the two segments will post based on their individual scheduled departure time.

All the above is still true if the flight operator is slow in posting the flight credit, it will credit based on the scheduled departure year.

Print Wikipost

Year end / split year elite flight credit [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 2:47 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by hobo13
While I was originally joking about this, I actually think there is probably some merit to it. If the EQM's don't post until 5-7 days later (the new normal), that means the SWU's can't post until then. And it seems like it would be unfair to offer only ~360 days of validity on the SWU's.

I would think that somebody should be able to confirm this for us pretty soon. If folks cross 100k on 7/31, but get SWUs good through 8/13, I would assume the same logic would apply to 12/31.
Wow. Unfair to have 360 days to use a free upgrade. How is that?
Old May 26, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold / *A Gold
You could always buy PQMs...

You can always buy a ticket (in 2013 if you can't find any for 2012) on December 31 in case of any disruption, buy the elite maximizer with PQM, then cancel the ticket within 24 hours for a refund.

The PQM *should* post for 2012 if you pay for them in 2012. I have not used Elite Maximizer on PMUA or post-merger, but it did get the miles on PMCO within a few minutes.

You should expect to pay close to 15¢ per PQM (3¢ for the RDM, then another 12¢ for the PQM). You must buy the RDM before you get the chance to buy the PQM.

Hopefully, your flights will go smoothly, but at least this way, you will have a last minute back up without having to do a MR that you might not even need in the end.
Old May 26, 2012, 7:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dhelman
You can always buy a ticket (in 2013 if you can't find any for 2012) on December 31 in case of any disruption, buy the elite maximizer with PQM, then cancel the ticket within 24 hours for a refund.

The PQM *should* post for 2012 if you pay for them in 2012. I have not used Elite Maximizer on PMUA or post-merger, but it did get the miles on PMCO within a few minutes.

You should expect to pay close to 15¢ per PQM (3¢ for the RDM, then another 12¢ for the PQM). .....
probably (if previous years are any prediction) >30-40cpm per PQM that late.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17693895-post227.html
Old May 26, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Beerman92
Considering that they are supposed to be valid for a year, I would say 360 days is not fair.

But then again, if you consider a promised benefit to be 'free', I guess we might as well just end the discussion now.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:48 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by hobo13
Considering that they are supposed to be valid for a year, I would say 360 days is not fair.

But then again, if you consider a promised benefit to be 'free', I guess we might as well just end the discussion now.
So 360 days is unfair but 365 is fair?

I have little to no confidence in United's current customer facing IT systems but if you can't get a five day extension from the airline I will personally give you one of my GPUs if you need it during those 5 days. That is assuming I have any which I most likely won't since I'm not flying to get to 1K on United like you are. That seems weird doesn't it?
Old May 27, 2012, 11:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Beerman92
previousily it was 13 months (Jan1 to Jan 31 of the next year), or closer to 395 days.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
New Year's Eve Partner Flights and 2013 Year Status?

Hi everyone,

I'll admit I'm not 100% sure how this works, but I'll be earning about 7600 miles on the day of December 31st. Being that this is LX, I'm wondering how this credits. If I do hit 25k, am I right to assume that I do get 2013 Premier Silver? The only reason I'm not so sure is because I had miles from 2011 that took a significant time to credit (well past 3/3) and I think they counted as 2012 miles and not 2011 miles (despite being set to the correct flight date). I'm not 100% sure my MM credit was given, but it appears there is no way to check this easily online. So, will status be given on a flight like mine (and on an unrelated note, do I have a case for retroactive MM credit?).
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, Virtuoso Agent, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
How are EQMs applied with a New Year Ticket

Hi,

How are EQMs applied if you are taking a round-trip that leaves on December 26th, and comes back on January 12th, on partner airline Singapore Airlines? Also if one passenger will gain Elite status only if the 1st leg is applied before December 31st, will that flight qualify for the elite bonus or will only the return trip qualify or will neither because it is on a partner airline?

Thanks.

-Dave
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
1. Each way credits to each different year.

So in your case, Departure will go to 2012 (for 2013). And return will go to 2013 (for 2014).

2. Only the return will count (if SHARES has updated fast enough).
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
The miles will post based on your departure date of each flight. So one flight will earn miles for 2012, the other for 2013.

If your flight departed on Dec 31 and arrived on Jan 1, you would earn miles for 2012.

You should confirm that you are on a milage eligible fare on SQ.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
1. Each way credits to each different year.
Furthermore, each flight will credit according to the scheduled departure time. While not an issue in this case, if for example OP had a redeye flight leaving Dec 31 with an ongoing connection on Jan 1, the first flight would credit to 2012, the second to 2013.

Also, with the exception of a few airlines where UA has anti-trust immunity/joint ventures (e.g. LH, NH, AC), you will not earn the elite bonus on partner airlines, only on United.

Edit: As stated on the United website, there is no elite mileage bonus on Singapore Airlines http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=304
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Flying on December 31st and delayed

If we book for New Year's Eve and the flight is delayed until January 1, do those miles count for 2012 or 2013? I need a few miles to keep my 1K but I'd be really upset if a delay on their part kept me from getting the miles I need. Maybe I should book for 12/30/12 instead.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by hans
If we book for New Year's Eve and the flight is delayed until January 1, do those miles count for 2012 or 2013? I need a few miles to keep my 1K but I'd be really upset if a delay on their part kept me from getting the miles I need. Maybe I should book for 12/30/12 instead.
I'm pretty sure it would go towards 2012 and not 2013. if it does not, a simple phone call to Customer Service should sort out the issue.

R
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by hans
In the past miles on CO always posted as credited for the day originally scheduled for the departure. I suspect it is the same for UA now. The only issue you might have is if your flight is cancelled or delayed so long that you end up taking a different flight that is scheduled for January 1, 2013. If you have the option of flying Dec 30 it may make your trip more worry-free.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
If the flight is delayed, it shouldn't be a problem. In other words, if the flight is supposed to leave at 11pm but is delayed until 12:15am, then it won't be a problem. The miles would be credited for the 31st.

If the flight is cancelled and you're rebooked on the 1st, all bets are off. You would have to beg Mileage Plus to give you original routing credit for the 31st. Most likely, it would be no problem to get Mileage Plus to agree to this.

It depends on what makes you feel better. If you are depending on the miles to get to 1K, it sounds like the 30th is the lower stress option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.