Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Year end / split year elite flight credit [Consolidated]

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 1, 19, 3:18 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Crediting for flights around year end / New Years - PQMs/PQDs
Flight segments will individually post based on their scheduled departure (local) time. So a 23:50 (11:50PM) local time on Dec 31, 2017 will credit to earning year 2017. If the schedule time is 00:30 (12:30AM) local time Jan 1, 2018 will credit to earning year 2018.

Arrival time does not matter.

If the flight is delayed to after midnight, it will still credit based on originally scheduled departure.

If cancelled and re-scheduled, you can call / write and request Original Routing Credit (ORC).

If a direct flight with two segments, the two segments will post based on their individual scheduled departure time.

All the above is still true if the flight operator is slow in posting the flight credit, it will credit based on the scheduled departure year.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 31, 11, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL

Hi,

I'm booked to go DXB-IAD-DEN-AUS in J-class. The flight departs DXB at 00:50 local time on Jan 1st. Obviously it will still be the 31st back in Chicago when this flight takes off.

Will my miles count toward 2012 (I hope they will)! I put all my 2011 miles toward USAirways and am putting all my 2012 miles toward UA/CO. If they go to 2011 I need to put them on US because it would bump me up a status level.

Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 11, 3:44 am

Programs: Premier 1K *G, MM, UA Club, Admirals Club Lifetime, Hyatt Platinum
Cool

Yes, 0050 01Jan2012 will be for 2012 status.
Happy New Year to you!
Old Dec 31, 11, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Your flight leaves in 2012 local time therefor it counts toward 2012 status. Enjoy the flight.
Old Dec 31, 11, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
Similar question which I was searching for an answer for...my wife needs 504 miles to reach 75k on UA for 2010. On December 21st she flew 563 on SA in a qualifying fare class so technically should hit 75K though in my recent experience it's taken approximately 2 weeks for SA miles to post to MP. Once they eventually post in January, she should retroactively make the Premier Plat level and get the associated miles on CR-1s correct? I am pretty sure the answer is yes but couldn't find confirmation...Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 11, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Mbenz View Post
Similar question which I was searching for an answer for...my wife needs 504 miles to reach 75k on UA for 2010. On December 21st she flew 563 on SA in a qualifying fare class so technically should hit 75K though in my recent experience it's taken approximately 2 weeks for SA miles to post to MP. Once they eventually post in January, she should retroactively make the Premier Plat level and get the associated miles on CR-1s correct? I am pretty sure the answer is yes but couldn't find confirmation...Thanks!
Yes.

^
Old Dec 31, 11, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
Yes.

^
Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 11, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Miles post based for the scheduled departure date/time regardless of when they actually post to your account or what part of the world you are in.
Old Dec 31, 11, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE
Sounds like a great start to earning miles for 2012. Enjoy!
Old Dec 31, 11, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
If you are switching programs, you might try requesting a status match. In the past, they didn't match other *A status in most cases, but now that it's based on a 90-day challenge, they might do it. The current program ends today (12/31) so I would try to email the request and copy of your US (or other) status today if you can.

http://www.united.com/statusmatch
Old Dec 31, 11, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 747freightPilot View Post
Will my miles count toward 2012 (I hope they will)! I put all my 2011 miles toward USAirways and am putting all my 2012 miles toward UA/CO. If they go to 2011 I need to put them on US because it would bump me up a status level.
Your rationale for wanting the miles to count in one year versus another is irrelevant. Your miles will count toward your 2012 status.

(Congrats.)
Old Mar 26, 12, 10:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Question about PQM at New Year's Eve

I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but a quick search didn't show any information.

Anyway, I'm looking at taking a flight on a *A partner, which leaves New Years Day (January 1st 2013) and lands New Years Eve (December 31st 2012). When will my miles post? In 2013, when I take off, or in 2012 when I land. i'm going to be cutting it close with my PQM this year, so this is an important distinction.

When does the calendar turn over for United?
Old Mar 26, 12, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
You will be credited for the year in which your flight was scheduled to leave.

So in this case, 2013.
Old Mar 27, 12, 1:17 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Aacharya, thanks for you input. Now would the year we leave be based on the time at the airport, the headquarters of the airline I'm flying on or united's headquarters (since I'll be crediting to mileage plus).
Old Mar 27, 12, 1:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CTcowboy View Post
.... Now would the year we leave be based on the time at the airport, the headquarters of the airline I'm flying on or united (since I'll be crediting to mileage plus).
scheduled local time
Old Mar 27, 12, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Global Services and 3MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Titanium Ambassador, Hertz PC
Very interesting quandary!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: