Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA.com let me use an RPU on a flight to Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat

Having just made it to 1K, I excitedly went to united.com to use my new GPUs to upgrade to F for my upcoming trip from SFO to HKG.

Surprisingly, I was presented with a choice to use either a GPU or an RPU to upgrade. I chose the RPU, just to see what would happen, and, well:

Based on the upgrade eligibility chart, I'm pretty sure this should not work. Anyone know what's going on here?

(This will be my first flight in F. Glad I'll get the chance to sit in the nose of a 747 before they disappear!)
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Glitch is written all over this one. "United First" is not a class of service which is offered on SFO-HKG. What is the fare class on the issued coupon (if you actually bought this)? The problem with things like this is if/when they get caught you can really get stuck.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Given that this is in December, after the Dec. 1 intro date for Polaris branding/service, perhaps "United First" means "Polaris first class" (which is apparently how they will be branding GlobalFirst seats after Dec. 1)?

But given that I was able to use an RPU, I agree it seems like "United First" is part of the glitch. That's the brand name for domestic first, right?

Maybe I should call the 1K desk.

The fare class was originally J and now shows as ON.

Last edited by jdfrench; Nov 15, 2016 at 6:39 pm Reason: Updating with fare class
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC RA, HH Gold
You should delete this thread and report back later.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat, SPG/M P75 and few from CC
Better than occupied by Non-Revs, even that's a RPU instead of GPU
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1
+1
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There is a very good chance that (a) UA reads your post here and audits the flight, or (b) audits your ticket shortly prior to departure (which they now typically do with upgraded long-haul tix).

I don't think I would have taken the risk here. It may be a UA error, but that doesn't mean the passenger won't suffer if/when it's discovered (particularly since UA may feel the error was deliberately exploited).
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
On the flip side, perhaps UA Insider will reach out to the OP and thank him/her for the bug report.

One can dream, right?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Painful to see this posted here. Hopefully UA will take the high road and let you stay there.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Painful to see this posted here. Hopefully UA will take the high road and let you stay there.
Amen.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
There is a very good chance that (a) UA reads your post here and audits the flight, or (b) audits your ticket shortly prior to departure (which they now typically do with upgraded long-haul tix).

I don't think I would have taken the risk here. It may be a UA error, but that doesn't mean the passenger won't suffer if/when it's discovered (particularly since UA may feel the error was deliberately exploited).
If the website presented me with the option to use an RPU, and accepted it, and showed a confirmed upgrade, it would be pretty nasty of UA to blame the customer for that. I can't imagine they would do more than bump me back down to J.

That said it was never my intention to defraud UA. My first step was to ask here if anyone knows of some obscure policy which is allowing this; my next step will be to call UA and explain what happened. I have the GPUs to cover this upgrade and am willing to spend them. A legitimate confirmed F seat in exchange for a GPU is better than a sketchy hope pinned on a website glitch for an RPU, IMO…
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
We don't know what's going on, they run promotions all the time, pricing fluctuates all the time, award sales, different amenities on different fare classes, who's to say they're not having a special on this route or certain dates and allowing upgrades for less than the "normal" price, if we even know what the "normal" price is.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1
+5

Last edited by ermintrude; Nov 15, 2016 at 7:28 pm Reason: changed number
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jdfrench
If the website presented me with the option to use an RPU, and accepted it, and showed a confirmed upgrade, it would be pretty nasty of UA to blame the customer for that. I can't imagine they would do more than bump me back down to J.
First of all, welcome to FT! Certainly an interesting first post.

That said, having spent a few hours around here, I would not be at all surprised if this were to wind up poorly for the passenger. The real risk is that they do an audit close to departure, when BF has booked full. Also, there's not just the issue with the RPU, there's the double-upgrade error as well. You should be aware that the SFO GFL agents have been known to conduct their own audits of pax who use the lounge, and gratuitously downgrade double-upgrade recipients (then kick them out of the lounge).
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I echo others' advice -- delete this post and call United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.