Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 17, 19, 9:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you donít purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To aviod domestic BE fares
ITA Matrix ~bc=N

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 15, 18, 8:59 am

Question United Explorer Card benefit after previous BE purchase?

Bought a BE domestic ticket a couple of months ago but only now have a United Explorer card. Might I be able to obtain any benefits of the card when I check in from home or via the kiosk?
Old Dec 15, 18, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler View Post
Bought a BE domestic ticket a couple of months ago but only now have a United Explorer card. Might I be able to obtain any benefits of the card when I check in from home or via the kiosk?
Yes, you'll get Group 2 boarding and a carry-on, plus a checked bag if you paid with the card.
Old Dec 15, 18, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by findark View Post
Yes, you'll get Group 2 boarding and a carry-on, plus a checked bag if you paid with the card.
did not have the explorer card when ticket was purchased. Will I get now Group 2 boarding and a carry on if I present the card on check in?
Old Dec 15, 18, 4:52 pm

did not have the explorer card when ticket was purchased. Will I get now Group 2 boarding and a carry on if I present the card on check in?
You shouldn't need to present it on check in. You should get those benefits automatically once the Explorer Card is registered on your account. You'll see a note on your MileagePlus account page that says "Expiration waived" along with a question mark; if you click on the question mark, it'll tell you that your miles won't expire as long as you're a cardmember. That's the signal that UA has made the connection between your card and your account, and the benefits will kick in automatically. (Everything except the free first checked bag, which does require using the card to buy the ticket).
Old Dec 15, 18, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

orher reports in the card threads indicate that purchasing an ancillary with your Explorer Card will get you the checked bag benefit. For example, those purchasing E+ with the card, even if the ticket was purchased with a non-UA card, get the checked bag benefit.

While I havenít seen any reports specific to BE, And you canít buy E+ with a BE fare, Iíd be surprised if purchasing a seat assignment with the card didnít flag the reservation for a free checked bag. YMMV, of course.
Old Dec 18, 18, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, National EE
GG code for full size carry-on exception

Is there a GG code one can reference for the exceptions to full-size carry-on restrictions for Premiers and CC holders?

Upon check-in at CAE this morning (contractor station, UX only), the agent charged a coworker (primary Explorer cardholder) for a carry-on fitting the 22x14x10 sizer, despite showing the agent the BE T&C on the website and the baggage info of the reservation on the App. Agent called UA and then stated "even for 1Ks and elites we'd have to charge if it doesn't fit under the seat as a personal item".

Would be nice to have a GG that an agent could reference to clear up any confusion.

Last edited by Scuba2P; Dec 18, 18 at 7:58 am
Old Dec 18, 18, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Scuba2P View Post
Is there a GG code one can reference for the exceptions to full-size carry-on restrictions for Premiers and CC holders?

Upon check-in at CAE this morning (contractor station, UX only), the agent charged a coworker (primary Explorer cardholder) for a carry-on fitting the 22x14x10 sizer, despite showing the agent the BE T&C on the website and the baggage info of the reservation on the App. Agent called UA and then stated "even for 1Ks and elites we'd have to charge if it doesn't fit under the seat as a personal item".

Would be nice to have a GG that an agent could reference to clear up any confusion.
I love it when UA messes things like this up, since they tend to be pretty good about providing compensation and fixing the problem.

Was your coworker in boarding group 5?
Old Dec 18, 18, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I love it when UA messes things like this up, since they tend to be pretty good about providing compensation and fixing the problem.

Was your coworker in boarding group 5?
They were in Group 2, the CC was recognized in their profile and the mobile boarding pass. Agent insisted that it had to fit in the smaller (personal item) bin sizer or must be checked. I was hoping someone knew the GG code, that could be referenced in future occurrences if anyone has this problem. Agent didn't believe the public website BE T&C were correct.
Old Dec 18, 18, 10:21 am

They were in Group 2, the CC was recognized in their profile and the mobile boarding pass. Agent insisted that it had to fit in the smaller (personal item) bin sizer or must be checked. I was hoping someone knew the GG code, that could be referenced in future occurrences if anyone has this problem. Agent didn't believe the public website BE T&C were correct.
So, the gate agent saw the orange boarding pass and insisted on a bogus $50 charge?

I'd write to UA for an apology, a refund, and likely a "we're sorry" travel credit. The agent needs retraining; as customers, we shouldn't be responsible for knowing their internal documentation. Using GG codes makes sense to me when you're trying to get something done that would otherwise be against the rules, but for a fee dispute, I'd pay it and then expect to get it back, with travel credit as "interest," afterwards.
Old Dec 18, 18, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
So, the gate agent saw the orange boarding pass and insisted on a bogus $50 charge?

I'd write to UA for an apology, a refund, and likely a "we're sorry" travel credit. The agent needs retraining; as customers, we shouldn't be responsible for knowing their internal documentation. Using GG codes makes sense to me when you're trying to get something done that would otherwise be against the rules, but for a fee dispute, I'd pay it and then expect to get it back, with travel credit as "interest," afterwards.
This was actually at the check-in counter as my coworker needed to check two bags. The first bag CC waiver did work, paid $40 for the second bag as expected, but the BE "orange flag" triggered a measuring of their carryon at the counter, and agent insisted that it be checked as a third bag ($150, no "extra" $25 since it was done at checkin counter). Let me reiterate that it DID fit the 22x14x10 sizer, just not the smaller personal item sizer. I understand they want to "catch" non-exempt BE passengers' full-size carry-ons at check-in, so they are not surprised with an extra-extra fee and holding up the boarding line, but this agent clearly didn't know the exception policy for Elite and CC.
Old Dec 19, 18, 3:18 pm

I can't seem to find this in my quick search of the 3468 posts, so I do apologize if this has been answered before.

I am looking at booking a BE ticket for an upcoming trip ($50 cheaper per ticket, so for the whole family it makes sense), however, I can't seem to find if you have to book with a UA credit card in order to get the free carry on bag and group 2 boarding. I have the UA CC, but usually book with my Chase Sapphire Reserve, and when on non-BE fares, receive Group 2. Does anyone know if that is the same with BE fares? It will make sense if we can carry on in Group 2, however savings aren't worth it if we have to pay $25pp to check bags.
Old Dec 19, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum
Life time miles

Originally Posted by JohnneeO View Post
The next logical question is whether or not Domestic BE fliers now earn lifetime miles as well.
Has anyone found answer to the lifetime miles earning question? It is 100% of BIS, 50% BIS or something else.
Thanks.

Edit: I found this from Million Miler Program website: Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles. But I do not know whether or not this has been updated after the Trans-Atlantic Basic Economy announcement.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../lifetime.html

Last edited by Kmxu; Dec 19, 18 at 3:33 pm Reason: No BIS miles for BE fares?
Old Dec 19, 18, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
Has anyone find answer to the lifetime miles earning question? It is 100% of BIS, 50% BIS or something else.
Thanks.
From the Terms and Conditions of the UA website
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/basic-economy.aspx
Premier qualifying credits: MileagePlus members will earn 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments. They will still earn full Premier qualifying dollars, award miles based on the fare and their MileagePlus status, lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.
Old Dec 19, 18, 4:19 pm

This was actually at the check-in counter as my coworker needed to check two bags. The first bag CC waiver did work, paid $40 for the second bag as expected, but the BE "orange flag" triggered a measuring of their carryon at the counter, and agent insisted that it be checked as a third bag ($150, no "extra" $25 since it was done at checkin counter). Let me reiterate that it DID fit the 22x14x10 sizer, just not the smaller personal item sizer. I understand they want to "catch" non-exempt BE passengers' full-size carry-ons at check-in, so they are not surprised with an extra-extra fee and holding up the boarding line, but this agent clearly didn't know the exception policy for Elite and CC.
Wow, that's all kinds of wrong. I'd definitely request, and expect, a refund of the $150. If I didn't want to risk being told no, I'd have said "fine, I'll take It to the plane and pay $50 there, then." In what world would the agent's actions make any sense?
Old Dec 19, 18, 6:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by N104UA View Post
I am looking at booking a BE ticket for an upcoming trip ($50 cheaper per ticket, so for the whole family it makes sense), however, I can't seem to find if you have to book with a UA credit card in order to get the free carry on bag and group 2 boarding. I have the UA CC, but usually book with my Chase Sapphire Reserve, and when on non-BE fares, receive Group 2. Does anyone know if that is the same with BE fares? It will make sense if we can carry on in Group 2, however savings aren't worth it if we have to pay $25pp to check bags.
The boarding group benefit and ability to have a full-size carry-on does not depend on having used the Chase MP card, but rather just having one linked to your account.

The checked bag waiver does require using the Chase MP card.
TWA884 likes this.

Search this Thread