Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period including SDC (occasionally 1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Full Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2023, 5:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
(And... personal item only for my two traveling companions...)
If on your PNR, they get the same as you. Just don't split them off the PNR.
18wheeler_vanrekt likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 8:36 am

MP Gold Jetbridge Check Carryon While Traveling in BE

Hello Friends:

I would like to know whether a passenger with MP Gold status, traveling on an Embraer 175 in Basic Economy, can check a carry on sized bag on the jet bridge. The route is RNO-LAX. Thanks
Old Dec 26, 2023, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rmf5
Hello Friends:

I would like to know whether a passenger with MP Gold status, traveling on an Embraer 175 in Basic Economy, can check a carry on sized bag on the jet bridge. The route is RNO-LAX. Thanks
As a MileagePlus Gold member, you are exempt from the carry-on restrictions of the BE fare. So, yes, you can check a bag at the gate if you so desire. Note that the overhead bins on the E175 are large enough to accommodate full-sized carry-on bags.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
From United (bolding mine):
Responding to an old thread (2020). As of now (2023), the quoted wording is nowhere to be found online. Perhaps United has chosen to be sneaky about this, not sure why, maybe they plan to remove the benefit at some point.

I have found that the practice still works as of 2023 (free full-size carry-on in Basic Economy with Explorer card), just haven't found any official wording online to confirm it. In that case, as they say, your mileage may vary.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oldnerdguy
Responding to an old thread (2020). As of now (2023), the quoted wording is nowhere to be found online. Perhaps United has chosen to be sneaky about this, not sure why, maybe they plan to remove the benefit at some point.

I have found that the practice still works as of 2023 (free full-size carry-on in Basic Economy with Explorer card), just haven't found any official wording online to confirm it. In that case, as they say, your mileage may vary.
Only those in the last boarding group are subject to the BE carryon restriction. UA clearly states elites and credit card holders will maintain their standard boarding groups and not be subject to the carry on restriction.

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...c-economy.html

For MileagePlus Premier members or cardholders
You get one free carry-on if you’re a MileagePlus member with Premier status, traveling with a Premier member, or are the primary card member of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance Gold member.
This waiver applies to all on your PNR.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Only those in the last boarding group are subject to the BE carryon restriction. UA clearly states elites and credit card holders will maintain their standard boarding groups and not be subject to the carry on restriction.

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...c-economy.html
They say "a qualifying MileagePlus credit card", but then don't say which MileagePlus credit cards are qualifying and which ones are not qualifying.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:46 pm

They say "a qualifying MileagePlus credit card", but then don't say which MileagePlus credit cards are qualifying and which ones are not qualifying.
Your Explorer is qualified as are all Chase MP branded cards (including I believe the Gateway card)
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:54 pm

Your Explorer is qualified as are all Chase MP branded cards (including I believe the Gateway card)
I'm glad to know you have a favorable opinion, and I agree that it seems to be true in practice (at least for Explorer, or so I experienced), but it's always better to have something in writing, like the above-quoted "Qualifying cards are" wording (which is no longer online for unknown reasons... and the quoted text didn't include Gateway). As it stands, there is nothing online that confirms that Explorer (or Gateway) has this benefit. The only reason to remove the online wording I can think of is if they want to eliminate the benefit, so then nobody can complain and point to the written description. If there's some other reason why they'd remove the wording, I'm curious to know what it is.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 8:11 pm

I'm glad to know you have a favorable opinion, and I agree that it seems to be true in practice (at least for Explorer, or so I experienced), but it's always better to have something in writing, like the above-quoted "Qualifying cards are" wording (which is no longer online for unknown reasons... and the quoted text didn't include Gateway). ...
The Explorer card is stated to have priority boarding (they advertise it in promoting the card) , that includes BG2 and means carry on allowed (confirmed here)
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...g-process.html
The only reason to remove the online wording I can think of is if they want to eliminate the benefit, so then nobody can complain and point to the written description. If there's some other reason why they'd remove the wording, I'm curious to know what it is.
I think you are reading too much into this . the Explorer card today is still advertising priority boarding

Nothing is going to happen with the elite and/or credit card waiver for carry-on bags.

There are many, many examples of statements no longer found on the website that are still policies many, many years after they were removed.
FT is here to keep track of these benefits and have first hand experience they are still in practice. And if negative changes happen, there are quickly reported.

The marketing guys are continuously redoing the website. But that does not translate to a hidden agenda to remove benefits.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, TWA884 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 26, 2023 at 8:23 pm Reason: FT is here to keep track of these benefits
Old Dec 27, 2023, 1:09 am

I think you are reading too much into this . the Explorer card today is still advertising priority boarding
I wasn't reading anything other than what's written. I was just looking for information about the carry-on fees when using Explorer card and didn't find it on the UA site.

I'm also not finding that information in regard to using Gateway card either.

If you're saying that this information is implied, then I guess I failed to read enough into it.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post # 1474)
Originally Posted by oldnerdguy (Post # 1475)
I agree that it seems to be true in practice (at least for Explorer, or so I experienced), but it's always better to have something in writing, like the above-quoted "Qualifying cards are" wording (which is no longer online for unknown reasons... and the quoted text didn't include Gateway). As it stands, there is nothing online that confirms that Explorer (or Gateway) has this benefit.
Originally Posted by oldnerdguy (Post # 1477)
I was just looking for information about the carry-on fees when using Explorer card and didn't find it on the UA site.

I'm also not finding that information in regard to using Gateway card either.
I recall there have been some misunderstandings about the no-annual-fee Gateway Card and its benefits in the past.

I had been paying some attention so as to recommend to my adult son whether to downgrade his Explorer Card, and in consideration of getting a Gateway myself. In the above link, "Free first checked bag" and "Priority boarding" are conspicuously absent from the Gateway travel benefits, while emphasized with the Explorer.

Yet the Basic Economy (BE) webpage hypertext link to "Qualifying Credit Card" -- for purposes of BE carry-on eligibility -- does include the Gateway. Examples of "non-qualifying" cards could be any not UA-co-branded, such as those with their own reward points systems. There is no reason for UA to keep repeating and linking to the definition over and over.

(My wife has a Quest Card, and we are both lifetime United Club members, so no point in us "Exploring".)

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Dec 27, 2023 at 4:09 am
Old Dec 27, 2023, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
In the above link, "Free first checked bag" and "Priority boarding" are conspicuously absent from the Gateway travel benefits, while emphasized with the Explorer.

Yet the Basic Economy (BE) webpage hypertext link to "Qualifying Credit Card" -- for purposes of BE carry-on eligibility -- does include the Gateway. Examples of "non-qualifying" cards could be any not UA-co-branded, such as those with their own reward points systems.
Actually, the wording on the link is "qualifying MileagePlus credit card". I don't know if that means there are non-qualifying MileagePlus credit cards. In the case of the Gateway, I'm not sure how it can be practical (at the gate) for them to include the free carry-on benefit while not also including the priority boarding benefit. The United Club Business card is in the opposite situation (it explicitly includes priority boarding but is not included at the aforementioned "qualifying" link for free carry-on), so it's unclear whether the implication of the link is "these are the exact cards that qualify for the benefit discussed in this paragraph", or, "here are a few cards we want to market to you, you can read more details there about which cards qualify for what". It's their website, they're free to organize it how they want.

Given that the various questions about card benefits in BE aren't answered on the UA website, and in light of the caution upthread against "reading too much into this", I'll remain agnostic and not assume any particular interpretation. If people post their own anecdotal experiences, that may be helpful in understanding what's likely to happen in practice, but without any clarification in writing, I won't assume it to be guaranteed.

Last edited by oldnerdguy; Dec 27, 2023 at 12:32 pm
Old Dec 27, 2023, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If people post their own anecdotal experiences, that may be helpful in understanding what's likely to happen in practice, but without any clarification in writing, I won't assume it to be guaranteed.
There are pages upon pages of people's experiences here, and they're all the same, and they're all in line with what is reported on the Chase page.

On domestic flights, Boarding Group 6 is not allowed a carry-on. Any Chase card that confers Priority Boarding allows you to board in Group 2. 2 is not equal to 6; therefore, you can bring a carry-on.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
There are pages upon pages of people's experiences here, and they're all the same, and they're all in line with what is reported on the Chase page.

On domestic flights, Boarding Group 6 is not allowed a carry-on. Any Chase card that confers Priority Boarding allows you to board in Group 2. 2 is not equal to 6; therefore, you can bring a carry-on.
OK. Does that mean the following interpretation is correct or incorrect?

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Yet the Basic Economy (BE) webpage hypertext link to "Qualifying Credit Card" -- for purposes of BE carry-on eligibility -- does include the Gateway. Examples of "non-qualifying" cards could be any not UA-co-branded, such as those with their own reward points systems.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK. Does that mean the following interpretation is correct or incorrect?
I'm afraid I can't agree with SPN Lifer here. The fact that the Gateway card is included on that page does not, in my mind, carry any sort of weight toward every card on that page being "qualifying." I see nothing in the Gateway offer that makes me think it has Priority Boarding, and without Priority Boarding, you will not get a free domestic carry-on -- end of story.
SPN Lifer and TWA884 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.