Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chicago O'Hare welcomes automated screening lanes to improve security experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago O'Hare welcomes automated screening lanes to improve security experience

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by jayzala
I don't know why bins are needed for the pre check lanes! They are fine the way they are.
Up in YYC/Calgary the local preboard security stations at the new international terminal are operating under the same specifications as what UA is installing.

Here is a CATSA video to explain how the whole system works.
The video from 1:50 point explains the xray system and automated bins.

As to the question about why everything needs to into the bins, check out 2:48 point to see how the bin diversion system works. Bins that require additional screening are removed from the normal flow. To enhance efficiency of the lane and provide continuous movement of bins, the xray technician screeners are located in a seperate room. There are more screeners than active lanes. If the remote screener requires a specific bin to undergo additional screening, the xray belt diverts that bin over to the additional screening lane. If everything was not located in a bin, the contents could not be automatically diverted without destruction of the belongings.

If you have a hard time and are choking on the government spokeshole propaganda , the CATSA video is available in french here:

The french version has an additional 10 seconds onto the front of the video compared to the english version.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by ChicagoAlex
Went through ORD last night - didn't see anything like this.

Agreed - kettles are a big problem. The number of people taking off light outer jackets or taking out non-metal things from their pockets (e.g. headphones, wallets, building badges) is almost shocking.
Under the new automated xray lanes, you don't care if Ma and Pa kettle take forever at the divest station because everyone can load their bin at their own pace. As Pa kettle takes out his headphone and wallet, you quickly drop backpack and carryon into two bins and go straight to the WTMD, save yourself the aggravation worrying about the antics of the kettles.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by LXFlyer
I haven't seen them at EWR on Friday -- are they newer than that?
They open prior to thanksgiving to coincide with the opening of the new centralized checkpoint at Terminal C that will feature 17 automated lanes and eliminate the separate C-1, C-2 & C-3 security checkpoints.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tblack15
A month or so ago, I was asked to remove my laptop from my bag in the PRE line AFTER it had gone through. Agent said that two laptops plus an iPad the x-ray checker couldn't "see anything clearly".
I've usually had no problem with two laptops in my bag in the PRE line. Once the guy ran it back and forth a few times and I said "there's two laptops" and he said "they're identical?". Apparently they were lined up close enough to confuse him at first.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I went through the new precheck checkpoint yesterday. It's to the left of the GS lobby. Didn't see a door from the GS lobby to the new precheck area, maybe they'll build that at some point.

People were definitely getting used to it, and done people were complaining about the long walk

Everything must go into a bin, no matter what. At the end, they ask you to return the bin to the stack at the end or hand it to a TSA employee so it can go on the return belt.

There area two lanes and three doc check stands, I think.

There wasn't a high volume at 645am on Tuesday, so not sure if it'll be more efficient than the old line. Monday morning at 5am and maybe Thursday around 4 or 5 in the afternoon will be higher volume, and interested to hear thanksgiving reports.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA-Gold; 1MM
Originally Posted by UAGLOBAL
Are these automated lanes in the same place as the current precheck lanes are? At exit of GS lobby?
It's the screening area closest to the walk to Terminal 2, past/left of the PreCheck area as you face to enter it.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by JubJub
It's the screening area closest to the walk to Terminal 2, past/left of the PreCheck area as you face to enter it.
Went thru these new lanes Saturday on my way to LAX.

On my return today, I noted that this Security area has returned to Premier Access and Gold Track flyers and the PreCheck Security was back at the old Pre lanes next to the GS exit.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JubJub
So, the old precheck lane to the right of GS is also still open? Confused. Is the automated one precheck?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by milepig
So, the old precheck lane to the right of GS is also still open? Confused. Is the automated one precheck?
When I departed ORD Terminal B last Thursday, the normal PreCheck entrance to the right of Global Services was closed. I was directed to the left of the Global Services area (about 100 ft?) which if memory serves is where Terminal B turns the corner towards E and F?

The new auto bin thing was in operation, and worked better than I had expected. A small bonus is possibly less wear and tear on my bags in the process?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:07 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

When I left Sunday, the GS one on the right was open and the one to the left was also, both with PreCheck.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by eng3
At TSA pre lines, I often see there are no bins at all (to encourage travelers not to take anything out) though I then see confused passengers looking for bins.
You would think this frees up a guy from moving bins back and forth, but this guy seems to be retasked with helping to shout instructions to pax
I love PRE without bins! Especially after getting beeped for additional / random screening. Look for bin, wait, ask for bin, wait, take off sport coat and throw on conveyor, take PC out of back pack and place on conveyor, take off shoes throw on conveyor, have screener tell me to use the bins - that are still not there, put back pack on conveyor - mark end of my gear. Pass through to secondary screening area and point out the multiple items , wait while he/she/it collects them and then proceed to full body standing massage. It's so much better than the non state of the art system!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
When I left Sunday, the GS one on the right was open and the one to the left was also, both with PreCheck.
Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if they use the new PreCheck lane as the primary and maybe use the old as overflow during the Thanksgiving and upcoming holiday travel season.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
When I departed ORD Terminal B last Thursday, the normal PreCheck entrance to the right of Global Services was closed. I was directed to the left of the Global Services area (about 100 ft?) which if memory serves is where Terminal B turns the corner towards E and F?

The new auto bin thing was in operation, and worked better than I had expected. A small bonus is possibly less wear and tear on my bags in the process?
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if they use the new PreCheck lane as the primary and maybe use the old as overflow during the Thanksgiving and upcoming holiday travel season.
If both are open, any thoughts as to which one one should use? At the moment I'm thinking the one beyond GF might be both less known and more efficient with the new equipment?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K (effective 11/18/16), Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I went through the line, non automated, last Friday. It seems like the same system that they have at Heathrow. The confusing part for lots of people is the putting your carry on in a tray. And your two trays won't be together, which has a lot of sporadic travelers who just got opted into Precheck for this one flight extra confused. One person in front of me was darting around trying to grab the trays from the back belt so her purse and carryon were next to each other.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
If both are open, any thoughts as to which one one should use? At the moment I'm thinking the one beyond GF might be both less known and more efficient with the new equipment?
It appears that the Security area left of Global Services will be for Premier/Gold Track like it was before the United Club construction shut it down. There were no PreCheck signs there on Monday, PreCheck had returned to it's previous location to the right of Global Services, next to the Premier Access Check In desks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.