Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PQD requirements - are they too low for upper tier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PQD requirements - are they too low for upper tier?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The 1K hurdle should be (IAH-OIL-TRASH PQD) - ($1)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:21 am

What's the point, if UA continues to give away top-tier status?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...10-2016-a.html
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am ambivalent about the $12K, but would much prefer United preserving 1K for those that actually meet the requirement. The gifting of 1K status like candy is what ticks me off.
Originally Posted by IAATM

^ Agree 100%
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAATM

Originally Posted by goodeats21
^ Agree 100%
I was one of those offered 1K, I didn't get any RPU or GPU, I also didn't take a single upgrade from anyone. I also never lost an upgrade at the last minute. I pretty much bought all FC this year. I may have made some people mad during irrops taking the last FC seat, but cest la vie.

I came over from delta end of 2015 - completed my Platinum status match in 11 days, was offered 1K during the targeted rounds and have finished this year at 165K PQM and roughly 35K in spend.

I do not know how many were like me that got offered 1K, but to lump everyone who got the offer into the same bucket is pretty short sided.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:53 pm

I think $12k is about right because it is attainable on 100% domestic flying. If it gets much higher people who should qualify would struggle if they only fly domestic.

As a point of reference my flying around the 48 states comes out to $209 PQD per (real) segment where as my TATL is above $600 PQD per segment. All flights either economy or P fares
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
For those with addresses outside the US, or those who fly on expensive tickets paid by their employer, the higher thresholds wouldn't matter so much. But for those who fly primarily on their own dime, such an increase would be terrible.

My S.O. is a 1k with a foreign address. I have a US address and this year I'm gold, but will probably drop to silver next year even I fly almost as much as he does and spend more on tickets than he does. Really maddening!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by invisible
.....based on 'roll call' thread reports it seems that majority of upper tier flyers have no problem hitting double or more PQD requirements per year. ....
Since I came from an analytic field where data analysis and integrity was a key element, I am curious how you drew such a conclusion? What was your test for validity?

Basing such a conclusion on limited, unscientific, self selected sampling base is a bit risky.

Are you speaking of the $12K for 1Ks?? Would not most of those you speak of be in GS territory?

Yes there are the 20-25K folks well above the 1K $12K and below the GS levels -- is this a group larger enough to be there own elite level?

What would UA gain (remember the elite program is not for the elites, it is there because it benefits UA)?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
I think $12k is about right because it is attainable on 100% domestic flying. If it gets much higher people who should qualify would struggle if they only fly domestic.

As a point of reference my flying around the 48 states comes out to $209 PQD per (real) segment where as my TATL is above $600 PQD per segment. All flights either economy or P fares
I'm a domestic 1K, all economy fares and my numbers are closer to $25-30K PQD, 120K PQM and 120K PQS annually. I see $12K as being far too low a bar for the PQD. When boarding group one lines between DEN/IAH/ORD/SFO can be 40 people long, I think we have a problem with the system. JMHO
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by limey1K
...I see $12K as being far too low a bar for the PQD. When boarding group one lines between DEN/IAH/ORD/SFO can be 40 people long, I think we have a problem with the system. ....
Presently changing the PQD 1K threshold would have not impact on BG1. It might demotes some 1Ks to Plats who are in BG1.

People are thinking about what would benefit themselves. There is not the way UA will think about this -- and UA makes the rules.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Presently changing the PQD 1K threshold would have not impact on BG1. It might demotes some 1Ks to Plats who are in BG1.

People are thinking about what would benefit themselves. There is not the way UA will think about this -- and UA makes the rules.
Agreed and I was thinking a revamp of the boarding process might be in order too for purely selfish reasons. Maybe BG .5?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by invisible
I know what kind of reaction would it generate from majority of readers, but based on 'roll call' thread reports it seems that majority of upper tier flyers have no problem hitting double or more PQD requirements per year.

So questions is - should be 1K PQD requirement set to $25K?
Company pays for travel but I would agree another bump to say $15K would be a good move to thin the ranks out a bit

If I was traveling on own dime I am sure I would have a different opinion
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
...People are thinking about what would benefit themselves. There is not the way UA will think about this -- and UA makes the rules.
Exactly. Frequent flyers often have a hard time disassociating their wants from United's running a business. Frequent flyers want planes configured with enough empty seats to clear all CPUs and United would rather sell out front cabins with F fares. United will never be able to satisfy everyone in that middle ground.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
The deal here was that if we were loyal to UA they would reward us.

So if I have to spend $15k or $25k, and I still have no CPUs and only 2 GPUs clear in a year, where is the incentive to spend?

Fortunately for me I am resident in two countries, so even though I am at 115,000 miles as of Oct. 1, I don't need to worry about the spend. If I did, this MM flyer would be flying anything but UA.

Last edited by Derek; Oct 24, 2016 at 1:50 pm
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Derek
...So if I have to spend $15k or $25k, and I still have no CPUs and only 2 GPUs clear in a year, where is the incentive to spend?...
Someone with the same spend can have much greater success w/ CPUs and instruments and be happy. United can't please everyone. Seriously. The answer for each individual is to go where his/her flying habit works best in terms of network and FFP.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:45 pm

Remember, Plat boards in Group 1, too. While I agree that $12k is too low a bar (DL Diamond is at $15k and 125K) I don't think culling the 1K field is the solution to a crowded G1 as much as kicking Platinum back to G2 and Silver out of G2 period.

Perhaps make a sweet heart ToD offer to those Plats (targeted) so if they really want into G1 and it dovetails well with UA's "rather sell the last minute open F capacity than CPU it" and the business they are trying to run.
Originally Posted by limey1K
I'm a domestic 1K, all economy fares and my numbers are closer to $25-30K PQD, 120K PQM and 120K PQS annually. I see $12K as being far too low a bar for the PQD. When boarding group one lines between DEN/IAH/ORD/SFO can be 40 people long, I think we have a problem with the system. JMHO

Last edited by bmustaf; Oct 24, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.