Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PQD requirements - are they too low for upper tier?

Old Oct 24, 16, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance

I know what kind of reaction would it generate from majority of readers, but based on 'roll call' thread reports it seems that majority of upper tier flyers have no problem hitting double or more PQD requirements per year.

So questions is - should be 1K PQD requirement set to $25K?
Old Oct 24, 16, 2:51 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
What is your point? If it will only affect a few 1K, does that incremental number make a difference to UA?

If I take 3 paid trips to India on a P/Z fare I should hit the miles and PDQ around 12k and make 1k, I am on target for Plat based on 2 round trips now. So by your logic I am not the customer they want and I should not book UA and go LH all the way?
Old Oct 24, 16, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
I know what kind of reaction would it generate from majority of readers, but based on 'roll call' thread reports it seems that majority of upper tier flyers have no problem hitting double or more PQD requirements per year.

If they really want it to be special, they should make it 50K spend. I am sure that the GPU upgrade rate would improve then, right?

The purpose of the tiers is to create demand among passengers with positive control over their travel expenditures. The highest level 1Ks and GSs are probably slaves to corporate travel departments and are going to fly whatever airline is booked for them. Indeed, I have a very good friend who is a GS, and he never even knew about GPUs and RPUs until very recently. And he still doesn't really care because he is always booked in paid J or F. He just knew that he got special treatment whenever he flew.

Frequent flyer programs are designed to make money for the airline, not increase the upgrade rate for its members. So UA is trying to entice as many flyers to give their loyalty to them with the promise of tangible benefits which may, in fact, be ethereal. The PQD levels are designed to give UA the highest yield in loyalty with the least payout in benefits. How their number crunchers decide this is a mystery, but your suggestion of a 25K level would likely decrease revenue.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 24, 16 at 6:11 am
Old Oct 24, 16, 6:16 am

Programs: *

No it should be set at 100K. Or even better at x - 10; where x is the individual PQD spend of any 1K member calling for the change.

Last I checked there was something called GS for 1Ks who spend a lot of money.
Old Oct 24, 16, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I get the point of the thread. There is a pretty big chasm between 1K and GS. The only incremental benefit for spending more than $12K (but less then GS spend) is some additional GPUs/RPUs.

I am ambivalent about the $12K, but would much prefer United preserving 1K for those that actually meet the requirement. The gifting of 1K status like candy is what ticks me off.
Old Oct 24, 16, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, Global Entry/Nexus
Originally Posted by ani90 View Post
No it should be set at 100K. Or even better at x - 10; where x is the individual PQD spend of any 1K member calling for the change.
Perhaps you meant it should be set at (x + 10)k ...
Old Oct 24, 16, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
If OP is interested in the other side (all sides) of the argument, here is a thread. Happy travels.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...18-status.html
Old Oct 24, 16, 8:05 am

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)

You're conflating "upper tier" with 1K.
Old Oct 24, 16, 8:27 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Never going to happen unless AA and DL do the same thing.

Otherwise UA raises to $25k, DL and AA run status matches for people who spend $12-25k, and the head of loyalty programs at UA gets fired when they suddenly lose a ton of people spending not insignificant amounts of money to their competitors.

$15k to match DL would be reasonable since it doesn't put them at a competitive disadvantage but 25k would be stupid, they'd be better off devaluating benefits.
Old Oct 24, 16, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K *G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC, National ECEE
im sitting at 115k pqm flown with only 11300 pqd spend, so no thanks?

i think 12-15 is a good number that gets the business from personal and business side. 25k is pretty much just for business flyers...All of my long hauls have been for fun (i try to go out of the country once a month for a few days for fun), while my equally expensive business domestic flights have been short haul (everything is short haul from iah).

also would 3 trips to india be enough for 100k pqm?
Old Oct 24, 16, 10:26 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by critten View Post
I'm earning 16,970 for EWR-FRA-BLR so that x 6 for 3 returns is 101,820 in P/Z paid business.
Old Oct 24, 16, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by critten View Post
im sitting at 115k pqm flown with only 11300 pqd spend, so no thanks?

Yes. IAH-EWR-DEL is 8723 miles; 8723 x 2 (rt) x 2 (BF multiplier) x 3 (trips) = 104,676 PQM.
Old Oct 24, 16, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
$15K to match Delta would not be acceptable to me unless the eligible spend also matched Delta. For example the United credit card spend waiver does not apply to 1K but Delta credit card spend counts towards Medallion. Similarly, "Economy Comfort and Preferred Seats purchases made through a Delta channel (including delta.com, Fly Delta mobile app, Delta Reservations, Delta kiosks, and select Delta airport locations) are included in MQDs" while United does not count that spend.
Old Oct 24, 16, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by u600213 View Post
$15K to match Delta would not be acceptable to me unless the eligible spend also matched Delta. For example the United credit card spend waiver does not apply to 1K but Delta credit card spend counts towards Medallion. Similarly, "Economy Comfort and Preferred Seats purchases made through a Delta channel (including delta.com, Fly Delta mobile app, Delta Reservations, Delta kiosks, and select Delta airport locations) are included in MQDs" while United does not count that spend.
Actually, UA does count E+ purchases -- that's about the only thing besides base fare on 016 tickets that counts, though. DL does give some MQD for non-Delta tickets; it's a percentage of the mileage that gets awarded.

IMO, change fees, upgrade co-pays, TODs, and other cases of handing UA money for free should count also.

As for $12K being too low -- for me, it's almost, but not quite, too high. If they'd made the requirement $15K, I wouldn't be about to hit $12K -- I'd be somewhere between $5K and $9K, depending upon which flights I elected to switch from paid to award. So, it's doing what they want -- enticing incremental spend that I might not otherwise have made.
Old Oct 24, 16, 11:58 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I imagine that Flyertalk might actually explode if UAL increased the PQD to $25k.

Personally, I was 1k for many years, and the first year they went to PQD, I realized quickly through other 1k's in my office how thin that $10k spend was. These were people on the road all week but never making much more than 500 mile hops from Denver to bigger cities (cheap fares). They put in the time and were on the edge of missing 1k for two years. When it went to $12k, we paid for them all to do an Asian Dollar run at our expense. 1k, for as much as they fly, is a benefit I need them to have.

Search this Thread