Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

It is getting tougher and tougher to do 5+ hr. flts. in narrow-bodies.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It is getting tougher and tougher to do 5+ hr. flts. in narrow-bodies.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
If OP is in LAX would be silly to backtrack to any of the above. Yes I get this FT but mileage running for all intents and purposes is dead, backtracking would make what should be a six hour journey into an 8-12+ hour journey. Besides the 777 domestic configuration isn't all that great anyway, but perhaps some may say elongated duration is worthwhile for a 767 flatbed seat.
OP said he was going to MCO.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I have no inherent issue with narrowbodies. I do have an issue with the poor padding on the 738/739 in F that leads me to book away from them if possible to the A320/E170/E175 for F.

The reverse is true for Y where I find the 738/739 seats better than the slimline A320/E170/E175 seats where all the padding (such that it was) has been completely worn down. Though for Y, give me old A320 Y any day in row 7 (though not sure if the old Y is in any A320s anymore).
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Madone59
Some people would call that "fun".......and many of those people are right here on FT
...and some of thse people are doing most of that next week! (The event is full)
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Look on the bright side -- at least you didn't fly HNL-MAJ-KWA-PNI-TKK-GUM-PVG entirely on 737s.
Lightweight. I did STL-LAX-HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-HKG all on 737s (first leg AA, rest UA), with only a brief overnight at HNL!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Duke787
I have no inherent issue with narrowbodies. I do have an issue with the poor padding on the 738/739 in F that leads me to book away from them if possible to the A320/E170/E175 for F.

The reverse is true for Y where I find the 738/739 seats better than the slimline A320/E170/E175 seats where all the padding (such that it was) has been completely worn down. Though for Y, give me old A320 Y any day in row 7 (though not sure if the old Y is in any A320s anymore).
The Airbuses are starting to get the new slimline F seats so soon there will be no where to run.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
The Airbuses are starting to get the new slimline F seats so soon there will be no where to run.
I think you mean there will be nowhere to sit!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by transportprof
I think you mean there will be nowhere to sit!
So will first class passengers then be allowed to run around the cabin when they get the inevitable muscle cramps and spasms and yell "DYKWIA"?

David
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
HA, BOTH!. I'm a window guy but on shorter domestic flights, I try not to disturb the person next to me so I stay in my seat. Otherwise, it would be really nice to stretch my legs (and other muscles). Something about those new slimline F seats are really uncomfortable, worse than the 737 F seats. Maybe because I get distracted on planes with DirecTV (the only narrow body planes in UA's fleet that have IFE).
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eng3
I flew on the slimline A320 F seats on SFO - RDU earlier this year and didn't think they were too bad. IMO, they seemed well padded compared to the 738/739s that have completely worn down. I was also sitting next to my girlfriend who is so stretching out and maximizing all the space in our combined row wasn't of concern.

In fairness they appeared virtually brand new (no scuff marks or anything so might have just come out of refurbishment). It remains to be seen whether the padding on the A320 seats holds up or goes the way of the 738/739 after heavy usage (I haven't made it back onto an A320 with the new seats in F since then).
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Some of the 737 seats have worn down but IME they're usually fine. I am not a huge fan of the new F seat - it just seems ill-proportioned in that it's too wide and too low to the floor.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
I flew on the slimline A320 F seats on SFO - RDU earlier this year and didn't think they were too bad. IMO, they seemed well padded compared to the 738/739s that have completely worn down. ...
Originally Posted by findark
Some of the 737 seats have worn down but IME they're usually fine. I am not a huge fan of the new F seat - it just seems ill-proportioned in that it's too wide and too low to the floor.
I think the new F seats have enough cushioning, I think the issue is that the cushion is too firm/dense. Maybe they were made that way to hold up longer.

And yes, I think the height makes a big difference too
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Originally Posted by blueman2
To me, wide bodies are not the issue. It is the 737-800 and -900 that are the issue. Their FC cabin flat out stinks. They crammed way too many seats into the cabin. It simply is NOT first class.
agree, and the seats are painful
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Lani1
Completed meeting in HNL Monday then flew to LAX on 737-8. Woke up this morning to fly to MCO, 737-8

I know this is how it goes these days but it is getting tougher and tougher to enjoy business travel regardless of FC - 5+ hour flights need to be on wide bodies!
I like flying on wide bodies, but I prefer more flights with smaller planes over fewer flights with larger planes. Also, there are plenty of HNL-LAX 777 flights. And be happy you were flying FC on UA. I am (unfortunately) flying TTN-DTW on F9 soon, and would much rather fly 6 hours E on a UA narrow body.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
If they are flying LAX to MCO how is it backtracking to any of those?
Could do AA LAX-MIA-MCO and get the 77W and even get a true first class suite on the transcon part.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, HiltonHonors, AAdvantage, Starwood Prefered Guest, Marriott Rewards
Once upon, circa the mid-1970s, every United flight to and from the islands was on a 747 (except for the DC-8 to JFK), with Royal Hawaiian Service. 737? They lacked the range to fly between California and Hawaii in those days. Isn't progress just grand? I complained when UA put DC-10s to HNL! I assiduously avoid the 737 with the "Slimline" seat whenever possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.