Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

It is getting tougher and tougher to do 5+ hr. flts. in narrow-bodies.

Old Oct 18, 16, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Platinum

Completed meeting in HNL Monday then flew to LAX on 737-8. Woke up this morning to fly to MCO, 737-8

I know this is how it goes these days but it is getting tougher and tougher to enjoy business travel regardless of FC - 5+ hour flights need to be on wide bodies!
Old Oct 18, 16, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least you were up front!

Why not route via IAD, ORD, IAH or EWR next time?
Old Oct 18, 16, 12:37 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Why not route via IAD, ORD, IAH or EWR next time?
The wide bodies are out there - are you looking for them?
Old Oct 18, 16, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Lani1 View Post
Completed meeting in HNL Monday then flew to LAX on 737-8. Woke up this morning to fly to MCO, 737-8

I know this is how it goes these days but it is getting tougher and tougher to enjoy business travel regardless of FC - 5+ hour flights need to be on wide bodies!
Look on the bright side -- at least you didn't fly HNL-MAJ-KWA-PNI-TKK-GUM-PVG entirely on 737s.
Old Oct 18, 16, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, B6 Mosaic
To me, wide bodies are not the issue. It is the 737-800 and -900 that are the issue. Their FC cabin flat out stinks. They crammed way too many seats into the cabin. It simply is NOT first class.
Old Oct 18, 16, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
I'm not saying things are great but what has changed recently that makes it tougher? I don't recall any changes to domestic F in recent years. Seats havent changed unless you're in one of the new slimline F seats. Smaller meals I guess. Planes with no IFE at least have the streaming thing. I actually enjoy flights with directv.

Sure a wide body might get you a lie-flat-seat but that's not a change from before that would make things tougher.
Old Oct 18, 16, 12:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
Look on the bright side -- at least you didn't fly HNL-MAJ-KWA-PNI-TKK-GUM-PVG entirely on 737s.
Or BOS-IAH-SFO-HNL-MAJ-KWA-PNI-TKK-GUM-PVG on 737s!

United may hold the "distinction" of being the airline that can take you farthest across the globe on an all 737 itinerary.
Old Oct 18, 16, 12:51 pm

Yes it is sad that you can fly from NYC to china on a 737
Old Oct 18, 16, 12:56 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Some people would call that "fun".......and many of those people are right here on FT
Old Oct 18, 16, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
Some people would call that "fun".......and many of those people are right here on FT
Indeed.

I flew BOS-IAD-LAX-HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-HKG-SGN-HKG-GUM-NRT-ICN, on 737s last month and had a blast

Last edited by PVDtoDEL; Oct 18, 16 at 1:09 pm
Old Oct 18, 16, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by Lani1 View Post

sorry to burst your bubble but most of the world's uber rich are flying around in even narrower aircraft.
Old Oct 18, 16, 1:04 pm

I'm still curious what the OP considers a factors causing it to become "tougher" to enjoy a domestic FC flight. That is one area that seems to have stood still over time. I suppose getting older and fatter (referring to myself) can make it tougher to endure.
Old Oct 18, 16, 1:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
sorry to burst your bubble but most of the world's uber rich are flying around in even narrower aircraft.
Yah, but they're the only ones aboard (along with their minions). And the furnishings are a bit less institutional aboard private jets.
Old Oct 18, 16, 1:15 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
I flew BOS-IAD-LAX-HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-HKG-SGN-HKG-GUM-NRT-ICN, on 737s last month and had a blast
I want to be like you when I grow up LOL
Old Oct 18, 16, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998; 3 Million Miler; ex-GS; DL Diamond Medallion since 2015
I think the OP might be referring to the good old pmUA days when widebodies were used on longer domestic flights. That travel was comfortable (and fun too). Now we are stuck with so many uncomfortable 737s. As much as I try, I cannot seem to fully avoid UAs 737s. It seems that UA is the newer version of Morris Air (remember them?).

I also fly a bit on Deltas 737s. I find the DL 737s to be more comfortable than UAs 737s even though they are the same aircraft!

Search this Thread