Search

PS Upgrades...How to?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
PS Upgrades...How to?

Hi Folks,

Pardon this request if it's been spelled out before. I'm having trouble searching the forum for short terms, like GPU and PS.

I'd like to know what my options are for an evening flight from LAX to EWR on 10/28 and I want to compare the cost of biz first one way $1330 or so with what it would cost for an economy and upgrade instrument seat (I have an RPU, GPUs and miles available). I can't seem to figure out how to search upgradeable fares.

Can anyone tell me how to do it?

Thanks,
Defendem
Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Defendem
Hi Folks,

Pardon this request if it's been spelled out before. I'm having trouble searching the forum for short terms, like GPU and PS.

I'd like to know what my options are for an evening flight from LAX to EWR on 10/28 and I want to compare the cost of biz first one way $1330 or so with what it would cost for an economy and upgrade instrument seat (I have an RPU, GPUs and miles available). I can't seem to figure out how to search upgradeable fares.

Thanks,
Defendem
UA offers a flight search option for upgradeable flights. Select "all search options" and scan totoard the bottom of the new page, you will have to be logged in to your account for the option to show.

On a PS flights there is no min fare class and the priority of miles, RPU and GPU are the same. Note with miles there will be a copay for most fares.

Another option is to learn about "Expert Mode" and manually look for R inventory.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA offers a flight search option for upgradeable flights. Select "all search options" and scan totoard the bottom of the new page, you will have to be logged in to your account for the option to show.
When I try to do this, on the advanced search page, the results are shown in 3 or four columns. First is an economy fare, second is the business class fare, then the next column is an upgradeable first class fare and there is nothing in this field because there are no first-class seats on the PS flight. It won't show me how much it costs for an economy to business upgrade.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
When I try to do this, on the advanced search page, the results are shown in 3 or four columns. First is an economy fare, second is the business class fare, then the next column is an upgradeable first class fare and there is nothing in this field because there are no first-class seats on the PS flight. It won't show me how much it costs for an economy to business upgrade.
Are you selecting an upgrade option on the advanced search page

If you select rpu/gpu it doesn't matter as there are no fare class restrictions for PS flights, only R availability

If you select Miles/money - then it should give you the miles and copay in the second column

Make sure you select buy economy and upgrade to business
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
If you want to upgrade to First, then you have to buy business, you can only upgrade one cabin type
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Hi Folks,

Thanks,
Defendem
Not to burst your bubble, but I would not expect to have any luck applying an instrument upgrade on this flight. The only time when I was able to score it was out of sheer dumb luck...UA pretty much zeroes out the p.s. R fare bucket because they can sell all of the seats up front.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... It won't show me how much it costs for an economy to business upgrade.
When using RPU or GPU there is no extra cost, you purchase economy, apply the RPU/GPU and if space exists, you will be upgraded.

For miles, the amount of miles and copay depends on the purchased fare class -- see travel and upgrade award chart page 4

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Not to burst your bubble, but I would not expect to have any luck applying an instrument upgrade on this flight. The only time when I was able to score it was out of sheer dumb luck...UA pretty much zeroes out the p.s. R fare bucket because they can sell all of the seats up front.
Considering I have cleared twice in recent weeks (and I have dropped to Plat for this year) , that is overly pessimist --- it isn't easy and success is far from guaranteed, but it is far from impossible. One was at booking and another was a SDC to a flight with R>0.

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
If you want to upgrade to First, then you have to buy business, you can only upgrade one cabin type
There is no First on PS flights, only BF,E+ and E-.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 15, 2016 at 5:15 pm Reason: self-merge
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Ok, for some reason (likely user error) the search is working for me now. Unfortunately all requests for RPU/GPU are waitlist only. Any folks have experience with RPU/GPU upgrades on these PS routes on Friday nights? (12:45a Saturday morning out of LAX is instantly confirmable, but gets me into EWR too late) What's the likelihood of RPU/GPU success as a 1K on PS service Friday nights? Can fly out of SFO or LAX, though LAX is more convenient
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Interesting...when searching with RPU, the second column is "First (upgrade-eligible Economy Fare)"...just adding to the confusion. I guess it's B/BF/F depending on the day of the week.

Instructions on #4 work, I show the 12:45am (very early Sat) flight is currently R6, at $144+RPU.

Good luck!
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Ok, for some reason (likely user error) the search is working for me now. Unfortunately all requests for RPU/GPU are waitlist only. Any folks have experience with RPU/GPU upgrades on these PS routes on Friday nights? (12:45a Saturday morning out of LAX is instantly confirmable, but gets me into EWR too late) What's the likelihood of RPU/GPU success as a 1K on PS service Friday nights? Can fly out of SFO or LAX, though LAX is more convenient
It's a crapshoot. Using expert mode, look for flights with P and PN inventory; those are most likely to clear.

The Thursday and Friday night red-eyes are very popular though.

And in case this hasn't been made clear already, there are no minimum fare restrictions to upgrade on ps with an RPU/GPU. Higher fares have higher upgrade priority though.

Originally Posted by wh6cto
I guess it's B/BF/F depending on the day of the week.
Front cabin on ps is always BF.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Considering I have cleared twice in recent weeks (and I have dropped to Plat for this year) , that is overly pessimist --- it isn't easy and success is far from guaranteed, but it is far from impossible. One was at booking and another was a SDC to a flight with R>0.
Agree.. I'm looking to make a booking at 4 weeks out and I can find R space (although I'm suspicious it's a glitch) plus three or four Saturday flights.

Open R space is always your best bet. Otherwise, the planes with more J seats are more likely to clear, as are stranger times. As Kacee notes, flights with P or PN space are an indication that UA is pessimistic about selling the seats.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Depends when you want to fly and how far out. All of my RPUs go to PS flights except for 2 this year for EWR-HNL and GUM-HNL-SFO.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold

I want to compare the cost of biz first one way $1330 or so
I know you're asking about upgrading, but did just want to mention that the PS routes are one of the few (only?) domestic routes I know of where round trips are cheaper than the comparable sum of one ways. I.e if you can, book your flight as a round trip and it'll be cheaper.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jmanirish
I know you're asking about upgrading, but did just want to mention that the PS routes are one of the few (only?) domestic routes I know of where round trips are cheaper than the comparable sum of one ways. I.e if you can, book your flight as a round trip and it'll be cheaper.
Are you sure about this? To me, it adds up to exactly the same...for whatever reason, the route that still has a huge discrepancy is EWR-SAN.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Are you sure about this? To me, it adds up to exactly the same...for whatever reason, the route that still has a huge discrepancy is EWR-SAN.
The p.s. BF fare table went entirely one-way a couple of months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.