FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PS Upgrades...How to?
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:29 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Considering I have cleared twice in recent weeks (and I have dropped to Plat for this year) , that is overly pessimist --- it isn't easy and success is far from guaranteed, but it is far from impossible. One was at booking and another was a SDC to a flight with R>0.
Agree.. I'm looking to make a booking at 4 weeks out and I can find R space (although I'm suspicious it's a glitch) plus three or four Saturday flights.

Originally Posted by Defendem
Ok, for some reason (likely user error) the search is working for me now. Unfortunately all requests for RPU/GPU are waitlist only. Any folks have experience with RPU/GPU upgrades on these PS routes on Friday nights? (12:45a Saturday morning out of LAX is instantly confirmable, but gets me into EWR too late) What's the likelihood of RPU/GPU success as a 1K on PS service Friday nights? Can fly out of SFO or LAX, though LAX is more convenient
Open R space is always your best bet. Otherwise, the planes with more J seats are more likely to clear, as are stranger times. As Kacee notes, flights with P or PN space are an indication that UA is pessimistic about selling the seats.