Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weather waiver issued - Hurricane Matthew (Southeast U.S.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather waiver issued - Hurricane Matthew (Southeast U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
United was very easy to work with on rebooking my return, MCO-DEN, despite it being a separate reservation. I split the in-laws off, as they will still return on the 13th, Wife, kids and I will now return on the 15th.

Couldn't add two nights at our existing hotel, but found one very close to switch to for the additional two nights.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
What do you make of the increasing number of models that show Matthew looping back clockwise and hitting FL/The Bahamas again?
This is the big unknown for us right now. The NHC is showing lower sustained winds for Mon and Tues but anything is likely. Right now people are concentrating on the immediate threat and waiting for tomorrow. Last night at the grocery store it was interesting to see what people had bought by observing the empty shelves: Potato Chips, Granola Bars, Water, Bread and Charcoal. Today the ice trucks have showed up.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Why would you cancel the morning flights. What happened to the aircraft that came in Wednesday night. The aircraft would have to be then ferried out as you will have no aircraft on the ground at these airports during the storm.
?? Today, all the morning flights went out as normal. (I just looked at MCO-EWR and ORD). Do you mean tomorrow's?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:32 pm

My Flight Cancellation Options for Hurricane Mathew

Guys,

I have a flight on 10/10 to CLT and United sent out a Travel advisory for flexible changes with no fee for travel up to 10/15.

For my current ticket, I already paid a $200 change fee + $365 round trip fare.

Could I ask for a full cancellation for entire refund?

Would I be eligible for the Change fee refund too?

Please advise.

Thanks much !
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by nvtech
Guys,

I have a flight on 10/10 to CLT and United sent out a Travel advisory for flexible changes with no fee for travel up to 10/15.

For my current ticket, I already paid a $200 change fee + $365 round trip fare.

Could I ask for a full cancellation for entire refund?

Would I be eligible for the Change fee refund too?

Please advise.

Thanks much !
Unfortunately, they can only refund if the flight is cancelled. There's still a good chance that it may be cancelled (if not already cancelled) so might be worth just keeping it until it happens.

Also never hurts to ask the agent though -- they are more "flyer friendly" and sympathetic these days IME so you never know if they will bend the rules (esp for an elite).

Flight changes:
The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new flights departing on or before October 15, 2016, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:42 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
You can ask. However, unless your flight actually cancels, it's not likely you will get a refund.

And you are almost certainly out the $200 change fee you previously paid. I would be flabbergasted if they actually refunded that, even if you pressed them on it.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:20 pm

Thanks for your suggestions guys. The problem is I would be taking a prop for my 1st leg to EWR. I just hates those props :-)
I have this ticket booked using my United MileagePlus card and I think I have some sort of travel insurance coverage.
I will see how things progress over the weekend.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The weather waiver for FLL, MCO, MIA and PBI has been extended until Sat, 10/8.

I'm at a hotel near FLL on a mattress run and hurricane run.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryU
The weather waiver for FLL, MCO, MIA and PBI has been extended until Sat, 10/8.

I'm at a hotel near FLL on a mattress run and hurricane run.
Having a fun time down there I see.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/h...rdale-42632072
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM
Having a fun time down there I see.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/h...rdale-42632072
I did have a lot of beer yesterday and enjoyed watching videos showing various "Florida Men" fishing, wading in the ocean and standing on piers at a time when the hurricane still seemed imminent.

I'm flying out on Saturday and hope I have a much easier time than on my inbound flight.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryU
I did have a lot of beer yesterday and enjoyed watching videos showing various "Florida Men" fishing, wading in the ocean and standing on piers at a time when the hurricane still seemed imminent.

I'm flying out on Saturday and hope I have a much easier time than on my inbound flight.
Just think how bored you'd be if everything went smoothly

And welcome to Florida!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:34 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Hurricanes are never fun. PBI and FLL open but of course planes are still lin EWR/IAH. MCO still closed and reopens at 6am on the 8th.

Eye was just 10 miles off the coast --- we got some Hurricane force winds. Lots of leaves/branches down -- screen in enclosure -- 1/4 are gone (just replace them 2 months ago).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.