Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weather waiver issued - Hurricane Matthew (Southeast U.S.)

Weather waiver issued - Hurricane Matthew (Southeast U.S.)

Old Oct 4, 16, 12:59 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MCO
Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver (1MM), HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold
Posts: 559
Exclamation Weather waiver issued - Hurricane Matthew (Southeast U.S.)

Link

Finally. Just moved up by one day my MNL trip from MCO

Hurricane Matthew

Airports:

Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
Miami, FL (MIA)
Orlando, FL (MCO)
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
​​​​​​​​​​​

Original travel date(s):

October 5 - 7, 2016
NWstu is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 1:31 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by NWstu View Post
Link

Finally. Just moved up by one day my MNL trip from MCO
Given the uncertain weather in MCO, do you think it would be advisable to get on an early morning connecting flight on Friday, or stick it out until the ~5pm nonstop flight I'm on?

Don't know if it's advisable to wait until the end of the day for anything, even though the weather might be improved by then...
nycflyer222 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 2:10 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MCO
Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver (1MM), HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold
Posts: 559
Originally Posted by nycflyer222 View Post
Given the uncertain weather in MCO, do you think it would be advisable to get on an early morning connecting flight on Friday, or stick it out until the ~5pm nonstop flight I'm on?

Don't know if it's advisable to wait until the end of the day for anything, even though the weather might be improved by then...
I would leave Thursday afternoon or evening to be safe. Your 5 pm nonstop Friday might be canceled and Friday morning weather will likely be worse.
NWstu is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 2:28 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maui
Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 2,852
My family of four is scheduled to arrive very late on Thursday. Already a given that we will skip our plans to visit The Space center on Friday, but Orlando seems to be spared. The Weather Channel is talking about a Europeon model that puts the storm much further west than currently shown, but who knows at this point.

I plan to stick with our original flight, arriving around 11:30pm into MCO Thursday unless things change for the worse in Orlando.
COSPILOT is online now  
Old Oct 4, 16, 3:27 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: United 1K (3MM) and RCC, elite levels for most hotel and car programs
Posts: 273
Flying into TPA which is not now covered by the waivers. Hoping that the florida west coast is unaffected by Matthew. But just a warning to those counting on friday flights ... UA and other airlines will be moving planes out of the danger zone and may have challenges getting equipment and crews back in for the Friday flights.
recreationguru is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 3:34 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,598
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
My family of four is scheduled to arrive very late on Thursday. Already a given that we will skip our plans to visit The Space center on Friday, but Orlando seems to be spared. The Weather Channel is talking about a Europeon model that puts the storm much further west than currently shown, but who knows at this point.

I plan to stick with our original flight, arriving around 11:30pm into MCO Thursday unless things change for the worse in Orlando.
You are against the "traffic." Seriously, I would not fly to FL before Hurricane Matthew passed the region. Safe travels.
Kmxu is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 3:50 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 15,504
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
My family of four is scheduled to arrive very late on Thursday. Already a given that we will skip our plans to visit The Space center on Friday, but Orlando seems to be spared. The Weather Channel is talking about a Europeon model that puts the storm much further west than currently shown, but who knows at this point.

I plan to stick with our original flight, arriving around 11:30pm into MCO Thursday unless things change for the worse in Orlando.
Might want to reconsider Orlando:



4.46pm EST Update: Top US meteorologist and renowned Hurricane expert Tom Terry has just tweeted a terrifying message.

He said there has NEVER been a storm in history [that] has been as powerful or come as close to the Florida coastline as Hurricane Matthew.

He posted on Twitter this evening: “The track of #Matthew should parallel our coast within 60 miles or closer. No other hurricane has been this strong this close, this track.”

Last edited by Bonehead; Oct 4, 16 at 4:01 pm
Bonehead is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 4:07 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: JAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 5,216
I live in the JAX and the most recent update I heard was that the eye is predicted to pass 60-90 miles east of us. And that central fla(Orlando) could expect tropical force weather Thurs night into Fri Morning. If that forecast holds, I find it hard to believe that an airline would keep aircraft on the ground in those conditions.
TomMM is online now  
Old Oct 4, 16, 4:13 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 15,504
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
I live in the JAX and the most recent update I heard was that the eye is predicted to pass 60-90 miles east of us. And that central fla(Orlando) could expect tropical force weather Thurs night into Fri Morning. If that forecast holds, I find it hard to believe that an airline would keep aircraft on the ground in those conditions.
I think COSPILOT may want to consider a nice weekend in San Diego instead of going anywhere near MouseWorld.
Bonehead is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 4:30 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: JAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 5,216
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
I think COSPILOT may want to consider a nice weekend in San Diego instead of going anywhere near MouseWorld.
They need to keep in mind that you don't need direct or near hit to cause havoc. But if they do decide to come I wish them luck. I am flying out tomorrow on a pre-planned trip to CAI
TomMM is online now  
Old Oct 4, 16, 11:43 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maui
Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 2,852
Looks like Disney will refund my tickets, as will the hotel. Will make a decision in the morning. Wonder if UA will let me switch to OGG as a destination with my existing tickets. Problem is I did this as two one ways, with myself, wife, and kids flying Thursday, returning home next Thursday on a reservation that also includes my wife's parents. They arrived into MCO today.

I'm so used to flying alone for work and change tickets without thought, but having kids super excited and fixed dates for time away from school, in laws on my return reservation, I don't know what to do...

Can I split them off for the return, then cancel ours? I don't want to screw up my in-laws ability to return home to DEN.

Obviously the safety of my family comes first, cost be damned. I've never felt more confused about what to do. Some reports make it seem like Orlando will be fine, other reports say Orlando will get hammered.
COSPILOT is online now  
Old Oct 5, 16, 7:09 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 15,504
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
...Can I split them off for the return, then cancel ours? I don't want to screw up my in-laws ability to return home to DEN.....
I would call UA ASAP (before it gets completely crazy) and explain the situation to them. I would hope that they would simply split you guys off, cancel those tickets, and allow them to be rebooked at a later date with no change fee.

Please let us know how it goes...
Bonehead is offline  
Old Oct 5, 16, 9:02 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maui
Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 2,852
I know everyone is going to think I'm crazy, but I'm still planning on going, however, We did switch to a earlier flight. We will hole up in the hotel tomorrow night and all day Friday. This assumes UA doesn't cancel the flight of course, which I fully understand if they decide to.
COSPILOT is online now  
Old Oct 5, 16, 10:21 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,454
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
I know everyone is going to think I'm crazy, but I'm still planning on going, however, We did switch to a earlier flight. We will hole up in the hotel tomorrow night and all day Friday. This assumes UA doesn't cancel the flight of course, which I fully understand if they decide to.
I would rather brave the storm than tell 2 kids their Disney trip is off
chavala is offline  
Old Oct 5, 16, 11:34 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 67
Keep us posted and good luck! We weathered Hurricane Jeanne in Disney in 2004(no flights,we drove) and they were great. We had to stay an extra day and the parks were closed but they had lots of stuff to do at the resort and they had characters around and movies for free all day.
AtlLhr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: