Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread: Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges {Archive}

Jan 2024
Originally Posted by ftweb
I'm a 1K (hence *G) flying TPE-SFO in Polaris. The Singapore Airlines lounge in TPE terminal 2 displays the star alliance logo, but I was denied entrance as a UA *G flying UA. The agent told me that they have special permission from star alliance to deny United flyers and send us to the Plaza Premium lounge because of capacity problems. ....Thanks.
Originally Posted by kaboom36
I recently took UA872 from TPE to SFO departing 11:10am. I am a 1K and had a paid C Polaris seat. Upon checking at the UA TPE ticket counter, I was notified by the UA CheckIn agent 872 flight pax is to use "Plaza Premium Lounge" instead of Eva lounge for *G and UA Polaris business class ticketed passenger. I thought it was just another option or lounge we can use at TPE. Therefore, I still went to the Eva lounge (designated *G lounge) and tried to enter the lounge. I was denied entrance. The Eva lounge attendant said anyone with UA872 ticket regardless of *G status or business class can not use Eva lounge due to "space limitation". UA contracted with Plaza Premium Lounge for flight 872.

Then I got further clarification from lounge manager that this restriction is only for UA872 ticket passenger. And it's not restricted for another TPE to SFO flight UA852 which departed later during the day at 1:10pm.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
Asia-bound or Asian?
People on the same flight were either admitted or denied depending on their ethnicity.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
People on the same flight were either admitted or denied depending on their ethnicity.
Wow, that's horrible
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by lsquare
I know I'm in the minority when it comes to this, but I try to keep as many segments as I can on UA to get me closer to MM status.
You get more bis miles TPE-HKG-SFO than TPE-SFO, even though TPE-HKG non UA
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 9:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For more on the BR SFO lounge story, see Anyone try the EVA Air Lounge in SFO on a UA domestic itinerary? (note this is a 10 year old story).
The were also issues with the SQ SFO lounge, 1K denied entry outgoing intL PAX,SQ SilverKris Lounge at SFO UA Traveller Access
This were small lounges that could be overwhelm by UA *Gs at a UA hub.
Eventually UA acquired the space to be the lower area of the present SFO Polaris lounge.

But this is ancient history.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 4, 2024 at 9:12 pm Reason: But this is ancient history.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Is TPE unique, or is this a new trend where UA *G might no longer grant lounge access in other places?
I am guessing yes, probably, this might be unique to TPE. I have accessed over a dozen Star Alliance Partner lounges in both Asia and Europe in recent months and experienced no issues. In fact, I was at the SQ SilverKris Lounge in HKG twice last year in Oct/Nov with a UA departure with no issues.

If I purchased a UC membership, would I get a different result?
I think the keyword is "participating". A UC membership theoretically grants you admissions to "participating" Star Alliance lounges (regardless of status). But of course, in your particular case, SQ does not need to participate so I doubt a UC membership will make a difference.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 4, 2024 at 11:57 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
To answer some questions that came up:

By UA and AC, I mean that UA and AC have an agreement that they don't have to let each other's *G into the lounge unless they are club members. But as a UA *G, I would expect access to any lounge not operated by UA and AC regardless of cabin or domestic/international, so long as I am flying a Star Alliance carrier.

Oh, and by show my card, I didn't mean my physical card, I meant in the app when you go to Account > Mileage Plus, there's a picture of a card you can tap that brings up a larger rendering of a card that says "Premier 1K" and has the *G logo in the lower-right corner.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
The same thing is reportedly happening across the way over at the EVA lounges for UA872, according to the TPE thread.

Prior to 2021 I accessed the SQ and BR lounges regularly as a 1K/*G, before flights in both Y and J. I'm not sure what changed.

This seems like a blatant flouting of *A rules. Maybe SQ heard what BR was doing across the hallway and figured they'd give it a try too.

I'm surprised to see such blatant rule flouting at TPE.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Singapore sometimes plays by its own rules at *A.

I seem to recall Singapore stiff-arming some UA customers admittable under *A rules at SFO when they had a lounge there.
I remember being denied entry as AC*G on a domestic UA flight.

To answer some questions that came up:

By UA and AC, I mean that UA and AC have an agreement that they don't have to let each other's *G into the lounge unless they are club members. But as a UA *G, I would expect access to any lounge not operated by UA and AC regardless of cabin or domestic/international, so long as I am flying a Star Alliance carrier.
AC will let any UA*G into any of their Maple Leaf Lounges on any itinerary with the departing flight within 3 hours, operated by any *A airline.
UA will let any AC*G into any of their United Clubs on any itinerary with the departing flight operated by any *A airline.

AC stopped selling "club memberships" when COVID started, and never resumed it.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:31 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
See my posts here from two days ago when this happened to me as well:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35870640-post103.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35870688-post106.html

Everyone should complain to 1Kvoice and Star Alliance corporate.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:20 pm

I guess the lounge denial is related to the fact that UA is running two flights a day now and has too many elites/premium cabin passengers? And they’re only redirecting 872, not 852?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:49 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Certain carriers and lounges are known for imposing capacity controls and restricting access to their own passengers prior to their departures. It's kind of gray area under *A rules and SQ has been known to do this at various locations, sometimes inconsistently.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This were small lounges that could be overwhelm by UA *Gs at a UA hub.
The SQ lounge at TPE is also pretty small. The BR lounges can get super crowded; there's really not enough *A lounge capacity at this airport, particularly for the morning departure bank.
Originally Posted by bioyuki
Everyone should complain to 1Kvoice and Star Alliance corporate.
Seriously doubt SQ cares. They've been doing this kind of thing for at least a decade.
moondog, MEL-World and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Does this mean *G flying UA Y out of TPE just have no lounge access if they aren't being admitted to the SQ or BR lounges because UA does not provide 3rd party lounge access to *G flying UA Y?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:39 am

The plot thickens at TPE

first EVA lounge and now Singapore lounge… what’s next? the priority pass lounges start denying access to UA passengers?
uanj and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Does this mean *G flying UA Y out of TPE just have no lounge access if they aren't being admitted to the SQ or BR lounges because UA does not provide 3rd party lounge access to *G flying UA Y?
As mentioned upthread, the Plaza Premium lounge is where UA flyers (Polaris and *G not in Polaris) are invited to go.

-RM
moondog and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:55 am

Programs: SQ TPP
Instead of complaining about SQ or BR, how about pressuring UA to provide a lounge of their own at TPE. SQ also has two flights per day but can provide a small lounge. As an SQ PPS, I'd be mightily upset with my carrier if I found the SQ lounge overfull of UA pax when they have another lounge option. UA has just too many 'elite' pax, I'd suggest.
moondog and RoseNylund like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.